Jul 30, 2012, 11:14 PM EDT
A late-night version of our regular look around the NBA — links to stories worth reading and notes to check out (stuff that did not get its own post here at PBT) — done in bullet point form. Because bloggers love bullet points like cowboys love oversized belt buckles.
• Pixable has a really cool site put together where you can see what hoop players — NBA guys and the USA women — are taking pictures of and tweeting, mostly from London. Really fun thing to flip through.
• Fantastic breakdown from Zach Lowe at Sports Illustrated of how teams will try to exploit Team USA’s weaknesses.
• We’re all really, really, really sick of the Dwight Howard saga. But here is a good argument from my man Brian Kamenetzky on why Lakers fans should hang in there and wait for this to play out and not give up on it.
• I flipped on some Los Angeles sports talk radio this afternoon and they were still talking Dwight to the Lakers. It is still THE topic in Los Angeles.
• Plans for a new NBA-ready arena in Seattle took a step forward Monday with a vote to approve an amended proposal from developer Chris Hanson — but there is going to be a lot more amending if he is going to get this deal done. Eight of nine Seattle City Council members signed a letter saying wanted tax money generated by the new arena to pay for improved transportation in the area where the arena would be built, money before targeted to pay off the bonds to build the arena. Transportation in the area of the arena — which is also where Safeco Field and the Port of Seattle are located — has been a concern.
• We told you recently in another And-1 column that the NBA’s throwback jerseys next season will be from the 1990s. Here is a sneak peek at some of the looks.
• Breaking down the Golden State Warriors schedule. If they can keep their heads above water early the schedule sets up for them to make a late run into a playoff spot.
• Charlie Villanueva says he is motivated by the scorn heaped on him by Pistons fans and plans to come back healthy and motivated next year. That’s great. But Pistons’ fans are pretty much going to go Missouri on this — “show me.” The Pistons are apparently pleased with his off-season conditioning. That’s a start.
• Former NBA guard (most recently with Toronto) Sonny Weems has signed to play next season with European power CSKA Moscow.
• French forward and former NBA player Pops Mensah-Bonsu has reached a deal to play with Maccabi Tel Aviv next season.
- Coach K had DeMarcus Cousins as USA’s backup big long before final cuts 5
- World Cup preview: No Durant, no problem USA still one of two teams with legit shot to win gold 6
- Cavaliers sold Kyrie Irving on contract extension with LeBron James-Kevin Love plan 34
- Kevin Love says Timberwolves owner should focus on his own team following trade to Cavaliers 35
- Iman Shumpert excited to play in triangle offense because he won’t just have to stand in the corner 9
- Timberwolves owner: Kevin Love might regret trade because he’ll be third banana with Cavaliers 48
- Anthony Davis and Kenneth Faried lead Team USA in final World Cup tune-up 20
- Thunder trade Hasheem Thabeet to 76ers 37