Jul 30, 2012, 12:50 PM EDT
A lot of things are different in International basketball — the closer three-point line, the types of zone defenses, the overall style of play.
“If you hit any part of the rim, it’s coming out. I learned that in Turkey, too: I had to put more arc on the ball.
“The ball. . . is the same size, but we’re playing with new ones, so they’re slippery. It takes a while to break a ball in. We don’t play with new ones (in the NBA), we use the ones that are worn in.”
Tyson Chandler echoed the comment on the ball, saying even in practice the USA used broken in international balls. We have seen this issue also come up in the NFL — quarterbacks and kickers want balls that are broken in and the leather is a little softer. Same with shooters. The new balls don’t grip the hand quite as well.
As for the rim, combine the extra bounce with the international rule you can knock a ball off the cylinder after it touches the rim and you just don’t get those four-bounce, shooter’s roll shots you see in the NBA.
You know what solves both of those problems? More dunks. That’s why you never heard Blake Griffin complaining about the rims.
- Pacers advance to the Eastern Conference Finals with Game 6 win over Knicks 12
- Roy Hibbert with the monster block on a dunk attempt from Carmelo Anthony (VIDEO) 13
- Nate Robinson unlikely to return to Bulls next season 11
- Preview: Knicks try to continue longshot comeback in Indiana 7
- George Hill cleared to play for Pacers in Game 6 vs. Knicks 10
- Knicks predictably drop Game 4 to Pacers, fall behind 3-1 (93)
- LeBron James shrugs off claims he’s a flopper (64)
- Seattle group releases statement; forced to wait, hope for expansion (63)
- Bad shooting night for Bulls dooms them in game Game 4. And series. (62)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (62)
- Oxbow upsets Orb in Preakness
- PBT Pacers top Knicks, punch ticket to conf. finals
- MST: Carpenter wins pole for 97th Indianapolis 500
- PHT: Couture strikes in OT, lifting Sharks in Game 3
- PHT: Red Wings even up series with Blackhawks
- PBT: Pacers may not have Hill for Game 6
- PHT: No surgery needed for Staal after brutal hit
- Play Video: Grizzlies ready for 'running' Spurs
- Play Video: Durant won't 'compromise himself' like other stars
- Play Video: Knicks avoid elimination
- Play Video: Heat finish off Bulls, James 'has no energy left'
- Play Video: Health woes make Heat vulnerable
- Play Video: Good news for Sacramento, Kings stay