Jul 30, 2012, 8:31 PM EDT
If things go well for the Clippers, Willie Green will rarely see the court. They have Jamal Crawford to play the two guard spot and they hope Chauncey Billups will be healthy and eating up minutes soon.
But, things rarely to plan and the Clippers want to be prepared, so they announced they have traded for Willie Green from the Atlanta Hawks.
Technically the Hawks get the rights to heavy Greek center Sofocles Schortsianitis — you can call him “Sofo” like everyone else — but he is not coming to play in the NBA (he’s been one Summer League and didn’t look NBA ready). This is another part of new GM Danny Ferry reshapping the Hawks roster top to bottom.
Sofo fits into a trade exception the Clippers already have.
Green spent most of his career in Philly but was with Chris Paul in New Orleans a couple years ago. He hit 44 percent of his threes last year for the Hawks and gave them solid minutes when he got in.
Another nice veteran addition to what should be a good Clippers roster. How good, and how far coach Vinny Del Negro can take them, will be the questions once the season starts. They think they can challenge the Thunder and Lakers. We need to be convinced still.
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Sunday: Dwyane Wade is going to will Heat into playoffs 0
- Sad news: Craig Sager announces his cancer has returned 8
- NBA players’ union head believes new labor deal can be reached without a work stoppage 9
- Kendrick Perkins says you’re blowing the LeBron James/Kevin Love thing way out of proportion 20
- Mark Cuban rips officials, NBA: ‘It’s criminal’ how Monta Ellis doesn’t get calls 25
- Shaquille O’Neal says he regrets leaving Magic for Lakers 43
- Cavaliers coach David Blatt: ‘LeBron James is our MVP’ 22
- No Durant, what does that mean for Thunder in these playoffs? Trouble. 15