Jul 29, 2012, 1:29 AM EDT
That was new Orlando Magic GM Rob Hennigan’s word of the day in an interview with the Orlando Sentinel. He said the team would follow the process and trade Dwight Howard when they got to the end of the process.
I would translate what he said as “these offers all suck, we’re going to wait for a better one,” but read what he said for yourself and come up with your own interpretation.
“As I’ve said all along, we’re going to just continue to stay true to our process and let the process sort of dictate the opportunities and the scenarios that present themselves,” Hennigan told the Orlando Sentinel in a telephone interview Saturday. “We’re going to have to be prepared across the board.”
You’ve heard the spin from Howard’s camp that they told him in no uncertain terms the superstar center wants to be traded to the Lakers now or the Nets after June 15. If not, he walks at the end of the season and goes to Dallas.
Here is Hennigan’s spin on the meeting with Howard in Los Angeles.
“We wanted to just go out and see Dwight and spend a little time with him and talk through a few things,” Hennigan said. “We also wanted to check on his rehabilitation process, so it was more a chance for us to get out and get some face time with him and speak with him in person.”
Hennigan and the Magic know they need to move Howard at some point. But they look at what Denver did and they see a team that got a better offer when they waited the suitors out until one cracked and threw a better deal on the table. They are thinking “why not follow that model?”
I will add this note: Hennigan is not doing anything here that does not at least have the okay of — if it is not a direct order from — the owners, the DeVos family. It was they that spoke to Howard the night he waived his right to opt out of his contract last year and extended this circus into this summer. They want a package like Denver got for Carmelo Anthony. I bet they do. I want eating corned beef hash for breakfast to be good for you. Still, that appears to be the plan, to wait it out like that.
So while the Howard camp and the Cleveland camp try to pressure Hennigan to make a move, he seems comfortable waiting it out. Even if that means the complete and utter circus that would be Howard coming back for training camp has to happen. Wouldn’t that be fun for just hired coach Jacque Vaughn?
- Kobe Bryant says elite players like LeBron, himself are underpaid. He’s right. 0
- It’s done: Kevin Love traded to Cavaliers, Andrew Wiggins headed to Minnesota in three-team deal 28
- Steve Nash called Kobe Bryant a “mother f****** a******” but in a good way 5
- USA Basketball announces 12 man roster for World Cup; Parsons, Hayward, Lillard, Korver cut 30
- USA Basketball cruises to exhibition win over Puerto Rico with final roster cuts looming 1
- Report: Timberwolves to end up with Thad Young, Anthony Bennett as part of Kevin Love trade 80
- Adam Silver: NBA stars playing in international competition face ‘a big risk’ 13
- Derrick Rose says he’ll play Friday vs. Puerto Rico 16