James Harden would consider signing with Suns in free agency, would have same answer for living on the moon

Jul 28, 2012, 1:03 PM EDT

Oklahoma City Thunder player James Harde Getty Images

James Harden will be a free agent in 2013 and there’s going to be a world of heat around the decision for the Thunder to retain him or let him free. He’s going to get max offers. If he doesn’t take a paycut to re-sign, the Thunder can’t afford to retain him if they want any future flexibility whatsoever, something they’ve always treasured. But as is usual with anyon eable to even sniff free agency, the talk has started about possible destinations.

Paul Coro of the Arizona Republic did his due diligence in asking the former Arizona State star if he’d consider a return to the desert he calls home when able to make the decision.

“Yeah,” he said. “Of course. I love it there. My mom lives there still. So that’s definitely my second home as far as my comfort level and going to school there. But obviously, I’m with the Thunder right now and what we have is special.”

“That’s out of my hands,” Harden said. “That’s not my decision. That’s the front office. I’ll let them decide that.”

via James Harden says he’s open to signing with the Phoenix Suns.

If you asked James Harden if he would consider living on the moon for a max contract, the answer is yes. If you asked if he’d consider signing with CSKA Moscow, the answer is yes. If you asked if he’d consider signing with the Bobcats, the answer is yes. The probabilities are in that order, but still.

For what it’s worth, a Dragic-Harden-Beasley-Scola-Gortat lineup would be downright spectacular. After failing to get Eric Gordon when the Hornets matched, that would be a monstrous get for the Suns.

Harden’t going to get these questions and this is going to be his life. He’s handling it the right way. “Love where I’m at, we’ll deal with it when the time comes.” The end. But he’s going to get offers. The question is whether the Thunder are willing to let him go.

One thing’s for sure.

They’ll consider it.

1. khadeemw - Jul 28, 2012 at 1:29 PM

Harden’t????…really…i would’ve that this was a Helin post with an error like that…lol…FAIL

• findthetruth90 - Jul 28, 2012 at 2:17 PM

Lol yet you have an error on your statement you loser stop being a lame and worrying about little spelling errors like not adding thought in your sentence.

2. chadinkc30 - Jul 28, 2012 at 2:43 PM

Downright spectacular? That statement is downright hilarious

3. kwf1224 - Jul 28, 2012 at 2:44 PM

I am surprised that Harden would want to leave the Thunder.

• therealhtj - Jul 28, 2012 at 3:01 PM

Well if some team with cap space offers him 4 years and about 60 million and the Thunder don’t match, it won’t be surprising at all.

• akismet-94caf11657e49d9d7540c4f3d105fccf - Jul 28, 2012 at 3:22 PM

Why stay and be the second best player on the team yet make less than four or five other guys?

4. lakerluver - Jul 28, 2012 at 4:17 PM

Basically it’s gonna come down to either Harden or Ibaka. If I’m running the Thunder I’m going with Serge. Glad I’m not running the team because that’s gonna be a tough decision.

• therealhtj - Jul 28, 2012 at 5:26 PM

If Hibbert and Lopez fetch Max deals, and JaVale McGee getting 11mil/yr, you can count on someone offering up at least very close to max, if not full max offers for Ibaka too.

It’ll be interesting to see what OKC does.

• monkeyhateclean - Jul 28, 2012 at 11:21 PM

A player like Harden deserves to start, and get paid like an elite #2 starter. The Thunder have Sefolosha locked down for peanuts, so perhaps they can afford to let Harden walk if it means they retain Ibaka.

• scalfor3 - Jul 28, 2012 at 11:55 PM

i keep harden over ibaka. i know big guys are harder to find, but harden is a much better player

5. raysfan1 - Jul 28, 2012 at 5:50 PM

If he does end up leaving OKC, I’ll miss him but I’ll also understand and wish him well. Guess my “Fear the Beard” t-shirt would have to go to Goodwill though!

• tomtravis76 - Jul 28, 2012 at 7:52 PM

The beard is gross, needs some trimming. He is such a good player and does deserve a shot with a team to be the number 1 or 2 option.

6. omie34 - Jul 28, 2012 at 8:28 PM

That lineup with him in pheonix wouldn’t get out of the first round and thats if they even made the playoffs. If he leaves he should go to a team with up and coming stars like maybe minnesota with rubio and love

7. gmsalpha - Jul 28, 2012 at 8:35 PM

I’d love to see him traded to Tampa Bay’s hockey team.

What follows Thunder?

• raysfan1 - Jul 28, 2012 at 11:39 PM

Other way around, dude, for the very obvious reason that the speed of light is far faster than the speed of sound. Perhaps Martin St. Louis should join the Thunder.

• gmsalpha - Jul 29, 2012 at 8:17 PM

My bad, dude.

But Martin St. Louis going to the Thunder has nothing to do with James Harden.

8. nathanbetz91 - Jul 29, 2012 at 12:37 AM

How can you take an article like this seriously when the person writing it is an idiot? In the first paragraph I found 2 spelling errors right next to each other. Retard.

9. thundersandpackers - Jul 29, 2012 at 1:15 AM

if I was the pres. I would get rid of Perkins and put ibaka at center with collinson at power foward. resign ibaka and harden

Why can't Lakers have a player-coach?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches