Jul 28, 2012, 4:23 PM EDT
Laddi-daddi-who-likes-to-party? The Grizzlies have decided to re-sign Haddadi.
The Grizzlies re-signed center Hamed Haddadi on Saturday via the Memphis Commercial Appeal. The first Iranian center in the league has averaged only spot minutes for Memphis over the past five seasons, but is still an important cog for the team. They lack another legitimate reserve center behind Marc Gasol, instead opting to play small-ball consistently with multiple stretch forwards. And while Memphis has the rebounding capacity to keep pace, they’re not in a position to enter the season with that much on Gasol’s shoulders.
Gasol at times seemed worn down by the minutes he played, and so Haddadi’s presence is crucial. He’s nothing to get overly excited about, but he does make an impact with his seven-foot frame and touch around the rim. He can score a little bit, rebound a little bit, run the floor a little bit. Memphis doesn’t need much from him and they don’t get much from him. He’ll play spot minutes and help their overall depth.
Most importantly, it means more entertaining Tweets from the big man and maybe a few minutes rest for Gasol against bigger opponents.
- Report: Veteran point guard Andre Miller reaches one-year deal with Timberwolves 2
- Who is still out there: Top 10 free agents still on the market 5
- Donald Trump says he’s becoming a Mavericks fan after Mark Cuban’s comments 40
- Report: Michael Jordan shot down Boston draft-day effort to get Charlotte No. 9 pick 30
- Wisconsin State Assembly passes Bucks arena deal, clearing the way for Gov. Walker to sign 39
- Phil Jackson says Knicks wanted Goran Dragic at trade deadline. Because he’s such a triangle fit? 16
- Report: Cavaliers sign Matthew Dellavedova 10
- Heat trade Zoran Dragic, second-rounder to Celtics 11