Jul 28, 2012, 4:23 PM EDT
Laddi-daddi-who-likes-to-party? The Grizzlies have decided to re-sign Haddadi.
The Grizzlies re-signed center Hamed Haddadi on Saturday via the Memphis Commercial Appeal. The first Iranian center in the league has averaged only spot minutes for Memphis over the past five seasons, but is still an important cog for the team. They lack another legitimate reserve center behind Marc Gasol, instead opting to play small-ball consistently with multiple stretch forwards. And while Memphis has the rebounding capacity to keep pace, they’re not in a position to enter the season with that much on Gasol’s shoulders.
Gasol at times seemed worn down by the minutes he played, and so Haddadi’s presence is crucial. He’s nothing to get overly excited about, but he does make an impact with his seven-foot frame and touch around the rim. He can score a little bit, rebound a little bit, run the floor a little bit. Memphis doesn’t need much from him and they don’t get much from him. He’ll play spot minutes and help their overall depth.
Most importantly, it means more entertaining Tweets from the big man and maybe a few minutes rest for Gasol against bigger opponents.
- Thunder say Kevin Durant underwent successful bone graft surgery, will return in 4-6 months 1
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Monday: DeMar DeRozan went Harden on Harden 11
- Derrick Rose returns to full-contact practice, Bulls return date still unknown 8
- Report: Sacramento consultant Chris Mullin to take St. John’s head coaching job 4
- PBT Extra: Taking twitter questions on Clippers, Michael Carter-Williams, more 6
- PBT’s NBA Power Rankings: Cream rising to top as playoffs near 27
- Report: Patrick Beverley out for rest of season, including playoffs 7
- Breaking down Western Conference playoff chase with two weeks left in season 9