Jul 28, 2012, 4:23 PM EDT
Laddi-daddi-who-likes-to-party? The Grizzlies have decided to re-sign Haddadi.
The Grizzlies re-signed center Hamed Haddadi on Saturday via the Memphis Commercial Appeal. The first Iranian center in the league has averaged only spot minutes for Memphis over the past five seasons, but is still an important cog for the team. They lack another legitimate reserve center behind Marc Gasol, instead opting to play small-ball consistently with multiple stretch forwards. And while Memphis has the rebounding capacity to keep pace, they’re not in a position to enter the season with that much on Gasol’s shoulders.
Gasol at times seemed worn down by the minutes he played, and so Haddadi’s presence is crucial. He’s nothing to get overly excited about, but he does make an impact with his seven-foot frame and touch around the rim. He can score a little bit, rebound a little bit, run the floor a little bit. Memphis doesn’t need much from him and they don’t get much from him. He’ll play spot minutes and help their overall depth.
Most importantly, it means more entertaining Tweets from the big man and maybe a few minutes rest for Gasol against bigger opponents.
- Report: Warriors agree to four-year, $70 million extension with Klay Thompson 6
- Can Thunder, without Kevin Durant and Russell Westbrook, overcome their first identity crisis? 12
- Jazz guard Alec Burks signs contract extension worth $42 million-$45 million 10
- Thursday night NBA Winners/Losers: The injury gods show Thunder no mercy 12
- No Durant, Westbrook goes down, Thunder still make it interesting but fall to Clippers 2
- Thunder’s Russell Westbrook fractures hand, likely out 4-6 weeks 10
- LeBron struggles in Cleveland debut as Knicks stun Cavaliers 46
- LeBron, Cavaliers introduced on opening night in Cleveland (VIDEO) 5