Jul 27, 2012, 10:30 PM EDT
These Olympics would be a lot more fun if Ricky Rubio were there playing for Spain. It also would make things a little scarier for the United States. But it is our loss as basketball fans.
Back in March, in a fluke little collision, Rubio torn anterior cruciate ligament and lateral collateral ligament. It ended Minnesota’s playoff hopes last season and it meant he was out of the Olympics.
Rubio is home in Spain right now recovering and told Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo that soon he would go back to Colorado to meet with the surgeon and see how things are progressing.
“I hope by September I can start running again,” Rubio says.
Rubio likely is out at the start of the season, the expected return date from these kinds of injuries would have him playing around New Year’s Day, but that can give or take. Plus, even when he’s back on the court it will take a while until he fully trusts his leg and is back to his old self.
You should read the entire article, about Rubio staying grounded in his small Spanish hometown. How he eats with his grandma. How he has a good sense of who he is and what he wants to accomplish.
And how much he misses playing. He sat courtside watching the USA thump Spain in Barcelona last week and said it was not a ton of fun.
“Hard watching basketball and not being part of it, especially a game like that this week,” Rubio says. “I felt like somebody was going to have to come grab me, because I’m going to jump out there at any time and try to play.
“But in my mind, there’s a goal, and the goal is recovering 100 percent and making sure I’m never going to get hurt again in that knee.”
That’s the right attitude. And that’s what Timberwolves fans want to hear.
- Will Miami make a run at Kevin Durant? 17
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 6
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 10
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18
- D’Angelo Russell on Tracy McGrady tweet: “Some Lakers fans are spoiled” 28
- Anthony Davis “definitely” plans on shooting more threes this season 4
- Jim Buss defends Byron Scott as Lakers coach, “He has the Laker blood in him” 24
- Jim Buss open to the idea of Kobe Bryant playing beyond this season 32