Ricky Rubio recovering, hopes to be running by September

Jul 27, 2012, 10:30 PM EDT

Rick Rubio AP

These Olympics would be a lot more fun if Ricky Rubio were there playing for Spain. It also would make things a little scarier for the United States. But it is our loss as basketball fans.

Back in March, in a fluke little collision, Rubio torn anterior cruciate ligament and lateral collateral ligament. It ended Minnesota’s playoff hopes last season and it meant he was out of the Olympics.

Rubio is home in Spain right now recovering and told Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo that soon he would go back to Colorado to meet with the surgeon and see how things are progressing.

“I hope by September I can start running again,” Rubio says.

Rubio likely is out at the start of the season, the expected return date from these kinds of injuries would have him playing around New Year’s Day, but that can give or take. Plus, even when he’s back on the court it will take a while until he fully trusts his leg and is back to his old self.

You should read the entire article, about Rubio staying grounded in his small Spanish hometown. How he eats with his grandma. How he has a good sense of who he is and what he wants to accomplish.

And how much he misses playing. He sat courtside watching the USA thump Spain in Barcelona last week and said it was not a ton of fun.

“Hard watching basketball and not being part of it, especially a game like that this week,” Rubio says. “I felt like somebody was going to have to come grab me, because I’m going to jump out there at any time and try to play.

“But in my mind, there’s a goal, and the goal is recovering 100 percent and making sure I’m never going to get hurt again in that knee.”

That’s the right attitude. And that’s what Timberwolves fans want to hear.

1. rushledger - Jul 27, 2012 at 11:09 PM

Maybe if concussion Kobe wasn’t playing Rubio wouldn’t have got hurt.

2. isujames - Jul 27, 2012 at 11:43 PM

ooooooh can’t wait for Pellet Gun Pete’s return.

3. omie34 - Jul 28, 2012 at 12:37 AM

I hope rubio gets back to full strength he was fun and the t-wolves have a chance at the playoffs with him

4. buck2buckus - Jul 28, 2012 at 1:07 AM

Speedy recovery to Ricky. Seems like a good kid and easy to root for.

5. rickyspanish - Jul 28, 2012 at 5:22 AM

I want to see this dude live up to the hype. He’s fun to watch. Kevin Love is great, but Rubio makes the Wolves exciting. I wish Portland didn’t match the offer sheet on Batum, he would’ve been great in Minnesota.

6. moseskkim - Jul 28, 2012 at 5:50 AM

Kevin love is overrated. Well i loved him on my fantasy team but he’s just not that great. Good 3pt shooter for a big man. Amazing rebounder. But his scoring I think is a result of put backs/ team is mediocre. Look at bosh. Great numbers in Toronto. Comes to heat.. Solid but not great. Lebron still putting up amazing numbers though he switched teams. I think Aldridge is a better pf overall. Rubio hit the rookie wall but showed he knows how to play. Hopefully he gets healthy quickly.

• denverhoopdreams - Jul 28, 2012 at 9:20 AM

It’s interesting to see when fans don’t know how Basketball works.

The Timberwolves still shot a decent percentage throughout the season, therefore the fact that you mentioned all he does is score put backs because of a “mediocre” team is absurd. I’m not even going to get into the talent of the T-Wolves in general but get into the fact that by getting rebounds and putting the ball back in the hoop, and being able to do this on any team (he proved that in 2010 World Championships, right?) is just being a good overall offensive threat. Offensive rebounds and high scoring and someone who can shoot the 3 and be an interior threat is not overrated at all. In fact, I’d say Love is quite underrated.

• sellahh - Jul 28, 2012 at 10:08 AM

You just can’t possibly be serious calling Love underrated. He has already been called the best PF in bball by many writers. And he really doesn’t play hard and consistently enough on D for there to be no argument. I’d compare his case to Carmelo (although nobody calls Melo best SF in bball, just dont get me started there).

7. sellahh - Jul 28, 2012 at 9:59 AM

Ricky Rubio recovering… in other news, sun’s shining (at least here).
    “making sure I’m never going to get hurt again in that knee”
    Is that even possible at all? I mean the writer is, rightfully, making it sound like Rubio will need time to get 100% trust to his body back and… making sure he won’t ever hurt it again sounds like he’d always have that injury in the back of his mind, thus, making him less effective. But I hope I’m just overreacting cause he sure was fun to watch.

8. kmossg - Jul 28, 2012 at 12:36 PM

I just laugh when people hate on love. Do you actually watch the games? I had league pass last year and watched the Twolves as often as any other team, and Love has become a complete offensive player. He has the ability to post up, square up, shoot the 3, and score inside. Look at his matchups vs. the sother great PFs in the league. He dominated Blake Griffin and Aldridge numerous times, in fact the Twolves won the season series against the clippers, blazers, spurs, and mavericks. What sealed it for me was watching Love in that 3OT game against the thunder. Dude was unstoppable, and the talent difference between the Thunder and the Wolves was astounding. Yes, he needs to improve his defense, but one on one, he held his opponents to just 37% shooting. And we have to remember, this kid is only 23. I agree that he has a ways to go before you can call him the best PF in the game, but I would argue he is a top ten talent in the league right now.

• Kurt Helin - Jul 29, 2012 at 12:36 PM

Nobody should be questioning Love’s offense. His defense on the other hand….

9. scottieplongballs - Jul 28, 2012 at 1:52 PM

Simpletons! Love IS the best pf in bball bar none. Love dominated Aldridge this year in head to head matchups, and all stats. Showed Blake how to play the position, and put the team on his back all season. Unfortunately, the T-wolves dont have much to work with. PlEeeease Rubio get to 100%

10. kwf1224 - Jul 28, 2012 at 2:45 PM

The Wolves will need him.

11. rajbais - Jul 28, 2012 at 11:01 PM

Chris Mannix is out somewhere crying!!!!

Chris Mannix in 2008: Ricky Rubio’s gonna be an All-Star!!! Ricky Rubio’s gonna be an All-Star!!! Ricky Rubio’s gonna be an All-Star!!! Spain will give U.S. trouble!!! Spain will give U.S. trouble!!! Spain will give U.S. trouble!!!

Man! It’s great when he’s wrong!!!

12. misterdreamer119 - Jul 29, 2012 at 7:42 PM

Ricky is fun to watch. He makes grrat passes. He and Rondo best passers.

What players stood out at World Cup?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches