Jul 27, 2012, 10:30 PM EDT
These Olympics would be a lot more fun if Ricky Rubio were there playing for Spain. It also would make things a little scarier for the United States. But it is our loss as basketball fans.
Back in March, in a fluke little collision, Rubio torn anterior cruciate ligament and lateral collateral ligament. It ended Minnesota’s playoff hopes last season and it meant he was out of the Olympics.
Rubio is home in Spain right now recovering and told Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo that soon he would go back to Colorado to meet with the surgeon and see how things are progressing.
“I hope by September I can start running again,” Rubio says.
Rubio likely is out at the start of the season, the expected return date from these kinds of injuries would have him playing around New Year’s Day, but that can give or take. Plus, even when he’s back on the court it will take a while until he fully trusts his leg and is back to his old self.
You should read the entire article, about Rubio staying grounded in his small Spanish hometown. How he eats with his grandma. How he has a good sense of who he is and what he wants to accomplish.
And how much he misses playing. He sat courtside watching the USA thump Spain in Barcelona last week and said it was not a ton of fun.
“Hard watching basketball and not being part of it, especially a game like that this week,” Rubio says. “I felt like somebody was going to have to come grab me, because I’m going to jump out there at any time and try to play.
“But in my mind, there’s a goal, and the goal is recovering 100 percent and making sure I’m never going to get hurt again in that knee.”
That’s the right attitude. And that’s what Timberwolves fans want to hear.
- Kendrick Perkins says you’re blowing the LeBron James/Kevin Love thing way out of proportion 4
- Mark Cuban rips officials, NBA: ‘It’s criminal’ how Monta Ellis doesn’t get calls 21
- Shaquille O’Neal says he regrets leaving Magic for Lakers 41
- Cavaliers coach David Blatt: ‘LeBron James is our MVP’ 22
- No Durant, what does that mean for Thunder in these playoffs? Trouble. 15
- Kevin Durant to have third foot surgery; is done for season, playoffs 39
- Goran Dragic leading feisty Heat’s playoff push 29
- NBA Draft prospect matchups to watch in NCAA Tourament this weekend 2