Jul 27, 2012, 10:30 PM EST
These Olympics would be a lot more fun if Ricky Rubio were there playing for Spain. It also would make things a little scarier for the United States. But it is our loss as basketball fans.
Back in March, in a fluke little collision, Rubio torn anterior cruciate ligament and lateral collateral ligament. It ended Minnesota’s playoff hopes last season and it meant he was out of the Olympics.
Rubio is home in Spain right now recovering and told Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo that soon he would go back to Colorado to meet with the surgeon and see how things are progressing.
“I hope by September I can start running again,” Rubio says.
Rubio likely is out at the start of the season, the expected return date from these kinds of injuries would have him playing around New Year’s Day, but that can give or take. Plus, even when he’s back on the court it will take a while until he fully trusts his leg and is back to his old self.
You should read the entire article, about Rubio staying grounded in his small Spanish hometown. How he eats with his grandma. How he has a good sense of who he is and what he wants to accomplish.
And how much he misses playing. He sat courtside watching the USA thump Spain in Barcelona last week and said it was not a ton of fun.
“Hard watching basketball and not being part of it, especially a game like that this week,” Rubio says. “I felt like somebody was going to have to come grab me, because I’m going to jump out there at any time and try to play.
“But in my mind, there’s a goal, and the goal is recovering 100 percent and making sure I’m never going to get hurt again in that knee.”
That’s the right attitude. And that’s what Timberwolves fans want to hear.
- Report: Sixers a viable trade destination for Omer Asik 0
- Report: Jason Kidd safe as Nets coach until team gets healthy 2
- League execs on Kyrie Irving’s recent struggles: ‘He’s pouting’ 25
- Report: Knicks have ‘zero intention’ of trading Carmelo Anthony 12
- PBT Podcast for Dec. 7: Kobe’s back and for the Lakers that means…. 8
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (64)
- Dwight Howard frustrated with Rockets’ effort in recent losses (48)
- Kobe Bryant dunks, looks good in Lakers practice; Friday return possible (45)
- Michael Beasley finding a role, groove in Miami (44)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (42)