Jul 27, 2012, 10:30 PM EDT
These Olympics would be a lot more fun if Ricky Rubio were there playing for Spain. It also would make things a little scarier for the United States. But it is our loss as basketball fans.
Back in March, in a fluke little collision, Rubio torn anterior cruciate ligament and lateral collateral ligament. It ended Minnesota’s playoff hopes last season and it meant he was out of the Olympics.
Rubio is home in Spain right now recovering and told Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo that soon he would go back to Colorado to meet with the surgeon and see how things are progressing.
“I hope by September I can start running again,” Rubio says.
Rubio likely is out at the start of the season, the expected return date from these kinds of injuries would have him playing around New Year’s Day, but that can give or take. Plus, even when he’s back on the court it will take a while until he fully trusts his leg and is back to his old self.
You should read the entire article, about Rubio staying grounded in his small Spanish hometown. How he eats with his grandma. How he has a good sense of who he is and what he wants to accomplish.
And how much he misses playing. He sat courtside watching the USA thump Spain in Barcelona last week and said it was not a ton of fun.
“Hard watching basketball and not being part of it, especially a game like that this week,” Rubio says. “I felt like somebody was going to have to come grab me, because I’m going to jump out there at any time and try to play.
“But in my mind, there’s a goal, and the goal is recovering 100 percent and making sure I’m never going to get hurt again in that knee.”
That’s the right attitude. And that’s what Timberwolves fans want to hear.
- Sounds like Pacers president Larry Bird, head coach Frank Vogel don’t want Roy Hibbert back next year 9
- PBT staff playoff predictions: Lots of Golden State love from us 1
- PBT Extra: Injuries make Grizzlies, Trail Blazers series hard to predict 3
- PBT Extra: Will Spurs depth, versatility prove too much for Clippers? 13
- PBT Extra: Anthony Davis, Pelicans made playoffs. Will they get a fifth game vs. Warriors? 6
- Rumor: LaMarcus Aldridge more likely to leave Trail Blazers in free agency than people realize 24
- PBT First-Round Playoff Previews: Chicago Bulls vs. Milwaukee Bucks 8
- PBT First-Round Playoff Previews: Houston Rockets vs. Dallas Mavericks 15