Jul 27, 2012, 1:30 PM EDT
News of a three-team trade that sends Robin Lopez to New Orleans leaked out a couple days ago but it took some tweaks around the edges to make it comply with league rules. Finally, it got there, according to Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo Sports and the NBC Sports Network.
The trade sends Lopez and Hakim Warrick from Phoenix to New Orleans; Wesley Johnson, Brad Miller’s expiring contract and plus a lottery-protected first-round draft pick goes to the Suns; and the Timberwolves get Jerome Dyson and two future second-round draft picks from New Orleans.
That creates enough cap space for Minnesota to sign Andrei Kirilenko to a two-year, $20 million contract. That is done now as well.
Yes, that is overpaying for Kirilenko, who has always played very well in spurts but has battled injuries and inconsistency his entire career. Kirilenko spent the lockout season playing for CSKA Moscow but wanted to come back to the NBA if the price was right. This qualifies.
Hornets coach Monty Williams now has some versatility along the front line. He can start Lopez at center and No. 1 overall pick Anthony Davis at the four, and bring Ryan Anderson off the bench. Or, he can go smaller with Davis at the five and Anderson at the four. A solid player in Jason Smith backs them all up.
For the Suns, it’s a step toward the post-Nash rebuilding. Johnson gets the chance to live up to his No. 4 pick status, and they get another pick out of it. Brad Miller will be bought out for $800,000 and retire.
- LeBron James commits two costly turnovers in final minute of Game 2 loss to Pacers 0
- Pacers find their offense, find balance, find Heat’s respect 9
- Pacers get big games from Roy Hibbert and Paul George, take Game 2 from Heat to even the series 18
- LeBron James-Paul George matchup reaches awesome levels in Game 2 7
- John Calipari comes to defense of Derrick Rose 11
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (124)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (83)
- LeBron’s triple-double, game-winner in overtime lead Heat to Game 1 win over Pacers (68)
- If Phil Jackson could have any player to start a team it would be… Bill Russell (61)
- Pacers advance to the Eastern Conference Finals with Game 6 win over Knicks (60)
- Pacers even series with Heat
- Penguins bounce Senators | Highlights
- Tigers' Sanchez loses no-hitter in 9th vs. Twins
- PST: Report: Openly gay Rogers to play for Galaxy
- HBT: Granderson breaks pinky in Yanks' win
- PST: Bitter rivals Bayern, Dortmund collide in CL final
- PST: Key battles for Champions League final