Jul 27, 2012, 1:30 PM EDT
News of a three-team trade that sends Robin Lopez to New Orleans leaked out a couple days ago but it took some tweaks around the edges to make it comply with league rules. Finally, it got there, according to Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo Sports and the NBC Sports Network.
The trade sends Lopez and Hakim Warrick from Phoenix to New Orleans; Wesley Johnson, Brad Miller’s expiring contract and plus a lottery-protected first-round draft pick goes to the Suns; and the Timberwolves get Jerome Dyson and two future second-round draft picks from New Orleans.
That creates enough cap space for Minnesota to sign Andrei Kirilenko to a two-year, $20 million contract. That is done now as well.
Yes, that is overpaying for Kirilenko, who has always played very well in spurts but has battled injuries and inconsistency his entire career. Kirilenko spent the lockout season playing for CSKA Moscow but wanted to come back to the NBA if the price was right. This qualifies.
Hornets coach Monty Williams now has some versatility along the front line. He can start Lopez at center and No. 1 overall pick Anthony Davis at the four, and bring Ryan Anderson off the bench. Or, he can go smaller with Davis at the five and Anderson at the four. A solid player in Jason Smith backs them all up.
For the Suns, it’s a step toward the post-Nash rebuilding. Johnson gets the chance to live up to his No. 4 pick status, and they get another pick out of it. Brad Miller will be bought out for $800,000 and retire.
- Bugs Bunny teases the Jordan XXX in interview with Ahmad Rashad (VIDEO) 1
- Report: LeBron James calls the plays, Cavaliers coach David Blatt repeats them to team 50
- Kevin Durant says he’d ‘love to’ stay with Thunder his entire career, wants his jersey retired in OKC 15
- Anthony Davis says James Harden should be MVP 20
- Stop judging J.J. Redick by his Duke days if you haven’t already 7
- Thunder say Kevin Durant underwent successful bone graft surgery, will return in 4-6 months 4
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Monday: DeMar DeRozan went Harden on Harden 12
- Derrick Rose returns to full-contact practice, Bulls return date still unknown 13