Jul 27, 2012, 1:30 PM EDT
News of a three-team trade that sends Robin Lopez to New Orleans leaked out a couple days ago but it took some tweaks around the edges to make it comply with league rules. Finally, it got there, according to Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo Sports and the NBC Sports Network.
The trade sends Lopez and Hakim Warrick from Phoenix to New Orleans; Wesley Johnson, Brad Miller’s expiring contract and plus a lottery-protected first-round draft pick goes to the Suns; and the Timberwolves get Jerome Dyson and two future second-round draft picks from New Orleans.
That creates enough cap space for Minnesota to sign Andrei Kirilenko to a two-year, $20 million contract. That is done now as well.
Yes, that is overpaying for Kirilenko, who has always played very well in spurts but has battled injuries and inconsistency his entire career. Kirilenko spent the lockout season playing for CSKA Moscow but wanted to come back to the NBA if the price was right. This qualifies.
Hornets coach Monty Williams now has some versatility along the front line. He can start Lopez at center and No. 1 overall pick Anthony Davis at the four, and bring Ryan Anderson off the bench. Or, he can go smaller with Davis at the five and Anderson at the four. A solid player in Jason Smith backs them all up.
For the Suns, it’s a step toward the post-Nash rebuilding. Johnson gets the chance to live up to his No. 4 pick status, and they get another pick out of it. Brad Miller will be bought out for $800,000 and retire.
- Tim Duncan to appear in “The Punisher” comic book 0
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: New York Knicks 8
- Klay Thompson’s agent: Thompson better two-way shooting guard than Kobe Bryant 32
- Report: Greg Oden’s drinking an issue during season, alleged domestic assault 27
- Kevin Durant calls Allen Iverson “pound for pound” best ever 29
- PBT Extra: What players looked good at World Cup? 4
- Time for FIBA/NBA to adopt soccer model: Only one major tournament every four years 16
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Brooklyn Nets 3