Jul 27, 2012, 8:47 PM EDT
Oh, great. David Stern is getting involved in the Dwightmare. That will make everything better.
One of the most annoying parts of the entire Dwight Howard trade saga has been the constant flow of leaks trying to spin the story — and keeping the news cycle going on the story. The latest of those has been the “Orlando doesn’t really know what they want, they need to just make up their mind” spin.
Which Stern told the USA Today falls on Howard’s agent Dan Fegan. And he’s sort of right.
Here is the money quote from Stern.
“It’s very unique, especially if it’s driven by a quote source that happens to be Dwight’s agent,” Stern told USA TODAY Sports in a telephone interview. ” ‘A source in the meeting. Oh, OK, who might that be?”
Does he think it could be new Magic general manager Rob Hennigan?
“No, I don’t, and I don’t think it’s (Magic CEO) Alex Martins either,” Stern said.
Let’s backtrack for some “understanding the media 101.” No source tells the media something without a ulterior motive in mind. People don’t leak stories because they think the reporter is cool (well, at least in the case of the rest of the media). In sports (especially trades and contracts where money is involved) it is just like politics — everybody is trying to spin the story to put pressure on the other side and look like the good guy.
So yes, it’s pretty obvious to anyone paying attention to the leaks that Howard’s camp — which includes Fegan but is much broader than that — is the one pushing the “Orlando just has to make up its mind” meme. Because they want the deal to get done and get Howard to Los Angeles or Brooklyn. Their motive is to push the deal forward. Same with the leaks out of the Cleveland area, where they want better terms out of the deal but want to see it move forward.
Orlando, they are in no such hurry. They watched Denver wait out Carmelo Anthony and the Knicks and they are playing that same game. They are not the ones pushing to get a deal done, they are being patient and waiting for a deal they like.
We can debate how smart a strategy this is — the Nuggets got bailed out by Knicks owner James Dolan, that’s not going to happen here — but if Orlando doesn’t like the deal they can wait. That is GM Hennigan, but you can bet those orders come from the owners the DeVos family as well.
Anyway, Fegan will fire back at Stern soon, and we can talk about this all over again. Great. Just great.
- Jahlil Okafor: “Rookie of the Year is one of the goals I set for myself” 0
- Report: Derrick Rose undecided about attending Team USA minicamp 8
- Report: Pacers planning to purchase D-League’s Fort Wayne Mad Ants 3
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott told police after arrest all drugs in car were his 17
- NBA lands in Africa trying to put down roots, which is all about youth programs, infrastructure 1
- Report: Kings expected to hire Nancy Lieberman as assistant coach 9
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott arrested for felony drug possession 16
- Gilbert Arenas on LeBron James: “James isn’t a #1 option..and yes I (didn’t stutter)” 48