Kobe Bryant says he starts the trash talk on Team USA

Jul 26, 2012, 2:48 PM EDT

United States v Dominican Republic - Men's Exhibition Game Getty Images

After watching him smack around Kyrie Irving and challenge the rookie to a $50K charity one-on-one match, can this be a surprise at all?

Kobe Bryant says he starts the smack talk on Team USA. And he does it to loosen guys up.

Kobe sat down with LakerNation.com for an exclusive interview (see more in the video below) and talked about a lot of things, but in particular how he talks trash at Team USA practices. And about what those All-Star laden practices are like.

KB: They’re spirited [laughs]. You know a lot of it really falls on me because I’m kind of the wiser of the guys having been around so many years so most of the time I set the tone in practice by trash talking certain players whether it be a Lebron, or…

Interviewer: Friendly wagers..?

KB: [laughs]…You know or in Beijing it was D-Wade. Kinda getting practice going because up to that point its always kind of a little uncomfortable when guys don’t know if they can elbow a guy or talk trash to a guy and you know I just come out and just start chirping man [smiling]…

I’d be curious who tries to keep up with the talk. And is Anthony Davis even allowed to speak? Does he have to carry everyone’s luggage and go get donuts?

More Kobe for you:

1. mannyfresh209 - Jul 26, 2012 at 3:02 PM

As Kobe gets older, he’s more likeable. I still hate him though.

• southbeachtalent - Jul 26, 2012 at 4:18 PM

couldn’t agree more..

2. jtchernak - Jul 26, 2012 at 3:02 PM

At least he doesn’t complain about every call like the rest of the USA team

• ccshocktalk - Jul 26, 2012 at 3:27 PM

you’d have to be an absolute idiot if you didn’t think referees gave other teams more slack when they play the American squad. It’s like saying referees don’t feel bad for the opposition in futbol when they play against Italy, Argentina or Brasil.

no matter what anyone says, every sport has a team that dominates, and every referee always let a few things slide against the heavy favorites.

• akmgiants - Jul 26, 2012 at 4:19 PM

And I’m glad they do, anything to make it more competitive. I’m not watch Olympics Basketball because I’m uber patriotic and need to see the US win. I’m watching to see if any other country gets close to upsetting them. I’m watching to see how basketball has advanced around the world (it looks like it hasn’t much lol)

• jtchernak - Jul 26, 2012 at 4:33 PM

Ya your probaly right but what I mean is when lebron grabbed pau gasols foot and pulled him down and he was yelling at the red or when tyson Chandler swiped both of one players Spain’s arms clearly fouling him then complained like c’mon man

• mortymcfearson - Jul 26, 2012 at 5:05 PM

That’s because Kobe can stuff his dong up someone’s rear and still get a no call.

3. jebdamone - Jul 26, 2012 at 3:11 PM

Kobe would probably be one of my favorite players of all time if he didn’t play for the Lakers.

• jimeejohnson - Jul 26, 2012 at 7:44 PM

I love breaking a tie!

4. mx429 - Jul 26, 2012 at 4:08 PM

What other kind of talk would trash use?

5. philliephaninva - Jul 26, 2012 at 5:13 PM

Shut up Kobe. Nobody cares.

6. milehighsalutebroncos - Jul 26, 2012 at 5:23 PM

No trash talking Kobe

7. ezwriter69 - Jul 26, 2012 at 7:28 PM

Everybody else in the world reported that Irving challenged Kobe, you’ve got it the other way around,… did I miss something here? Who challenged who? Or did that fact just not match the premise of your story so you changed it?

8. congocash - Jul 27, 2012 at 1:13 AM

Donuts? Planes trains or automobiles?

What players stood out at World Cup?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches