Jul 26, 2012, 5:21 PM EST
Starting Sunday when you watch the USA take of France in our first game of the Olympic basketball tournament, the voice doing studio analysis on the NBC family of networks is going to sound familiar. Didn’t he used to do this for a living?
He did. Now, he coaches the Celtics for his paychecks. Doc Rivers will be the studio analyst (and 76ers coach Doug Collins will be doing color in the booth).
“I think it’s Spain, Argentina, or Brazil. I think those teams are very good,” Rivers said. “They have NBA players. Argentina’s a rough team. That’s how they’ve always played, so I think you can’t discount them. And they’ve all played together for so much longer than the U.S. team has.”
Rivers also was asked about professionals playing in the Olympics and the idea being floated of turning the games into a soccer-style under-23 tournament. Rivers thinks we need our pros there.
“I played in the World Championship game back in , “Rivers recalled. “We played in the gold medal game at that time [against USSR]. That afternoon I was in the swimming pool and I noticed the group we were playing had their kids, their families. They were already professionals. The other countries were playing professionals in the Olympics, they just were not called pros. We lost by one, I remember that (95-94), and I just thought the age difference was huge. And either they were going to have an age difference at [age] 22 or 25 that was a cut-off or everyone should be allowed to play. And I thought it was the right thing to do.”
By the way Doc, do you think the Olympics even matter to the players anymore?
“It does now. After they lost a couple of times it does now. I don’t think it will replace an NBA championship. I think honestly that is what you grow up to be. You don’t grow up to win a gold medal, you grow up to win an NBA championship. I do think now guys are growing up, they want a gold medal, and they want an NBA championship.
- Derrick Rose expected to return in 4-6 weeks. In time for playoffs. 19
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Thursday: The Cavaliers we expected have arrived 16
- Report: George Karl controls Kings’ personnel, wants Ty Lawson, willing to move DeMarcus Cousins 29
- Paul George returns to practice with Pacers, could play in couple weeks 8
- Report: LeBron James wonders why he doesn’t get more MVP consideration 41
- Would Rajon Rondo leave the Mavericks for the Lakers? 62
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Wednesday: The Spurs losing rodeo road trip a bad sign 14
- PBT Extra: What is future for Derrick Rose? Bulls? 13