Jul 25, 2012, 11:15 AM EDT
Rule No. 1 once you get a new job — make friends with the key employee.
That’s what C.J. Watson kind of tried to do. He has left the Chicago Bulls for a new deal with the Brooklyn Nets. He’s going from backing up Derrick Rose to backing up Deron Williams. And at his introductory press conference in Brooklyn he said this, as reported the Star Ledger:
“I always thought Deron was the best point guard in the league, always playing against him, watching him,” Watson said of Williams. “He’s always one of the toughest players … when everyone asks me who is the toughest point guard, I always say him. Between him and D-Rose, it’s pick-your-poison.”
First off C.J., Chris Paul would like to have a word with you out back.
I find comparing what Rose and what Williams bring to a team very hard, because both are very good but very different point guards. If the question who is the better traditional point guard, the guy who sets up teammates and is a floor general, I think we can all agree that is Williams.
But Rose is an attacking, scoring machine. One of the best at breaking down defenses and putting up points in the league, a guy you can anchor a team’s offense around. As Tom Thibodeau has done. Williams needs more pieces around him before you see the true impact of his game. Rose (when healthy) would have been a better fit in New Jersey last year, when Williams struggled to lead a team devoid of talent outside his own.
But better point guard? It’s an “eye of the beholder” question.
Who would I pick? Depends on the rest of my roster. Cop out, I know, but unless I get to choose CP3 I’m sticking with it.
Unless you’re C.J. Watson and need to kiss up to the key employee at the new job.
- Report: Kevin Durant considering Knicks, being recruited by Carmelo Anthony 51
- Markieff Morris: “My future will not be in Phoenix” 33
- Shaq tells Suzy Shuster he, Kobe Bryant could have tied Jordan’s six titles 35
- Dwight Howard tried to take loaded gun through airport security, will not face charges 52
- Will Miami make a run at Kevin Durant? 17
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 7
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 10
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18