Jul 25, 2012, 11:15 AM EDT
Rule No. 1 once you get a new job — make friends with the key employee.
That’s what C.J. Watson kind of tried to do. He has left the Chicago Bulls for a new deal with the Brooklyn Nets. He’s going from backing up Derrick Rose to backing up Deron Williams. And at his introductory press conference in Brooklyn he said this, as reported the Star Ledger:
“I always thought Deron was the best point guard in the league, always playing against him, watching him,” Watson said of Williams. “He’s always one of the toughest players … when everyone asks me who is the toughest point guard, I always say him. Between him and D-Rose, it’s pick-your-poison.”
First off C.J., Chris Paul would like to have a word with you out back.
I find comparing what Rose and what Williams bring to a team very hard, because both are very good but very different point guards. If the question who is the better traditional point guard, the guy who sets up teammates and is a floor general, I think we can all agree that is Williams.
But Rose is an attacking, scoring machine. One of the best at breaking down defenses and putting up points in the league, a guy you can anchor a team’s offense around. As Tom Thibodeau has done. Williams needs more pieces around him before you see the true impact of his game. Rose (when healthy) would have been a better fit in New Jersey last year, when Williams struggled to lead a team devoid of talent outside his own.
But better point guard? It’s an “eye of the beholder” question.
Who would I pick? Depends on the rest of my roster. Cop out, I know, but unless I get to choose CP3 I’m sticking with it.
Unless you’re C.J. Watson and need to kiss up to the key employee at the new job.
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott told police after arrest all drugs in car were his 7
- NBA lands in Africa trying to put down roots, which is all about youth programs, infrastructure 0
- Report: Kings expected to hire Nancy Lieberman as assistant coach 8
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott arrested for felony drug possession 16
- Gilbert Arenas on LeBron James: “James isn’t a #1 option..and yes I (didn’t stutter)” 47
- Report: Veteran point guard Andre Miller reaches one-year deal with Timberwolves 10
- Who is still out there: Top 10 free agents still on the market 14
- Donald Trump says he’s becoming a Mavericks fan after Mark Cuban’s comments 48