Watson says Deron Williams better point guard than Derrick Rose

Jul 25, 2012, 11:15 AM EDT

United States v Dominican Republic - Men's Exhibition Game Getty Images

Rule No. 1 once you get a new job — make friends with the key employee.

That’s what C.J. Watson kind of tried to do. He has left the Chicago Bulls for a new deal with the Brooklyn Nets. He’s going from backing up Derrick Rose to backing up Deron Williams. And at his introductory press conference in Brooklyn he said this, as reported the Star Ledger:

“I always thought Deron was the best point guard in the league, always playing against him, watching him,” Watson said of Williams. “He’s always one of the toughest players … when everyone asks me who is the toughest point guard, I always say him. Between him and D-Rose, it’s pick-your-poison.”

First off C.J., Chris Paul would like to have a word with you out back.

I find comparing what Rose and what Williams bring to a team very hard, because both are very good but very different point guards. If the question who is the better traditional point guard, the guy who sets up teammates and is a floor general, I think we can all agree that is Williams.

But Rose is an attacking, scoring machine. One of the best at breaking down defenses and putting up points in the league, a guy you can anchor a team’s offense around. As Tom Thibodeau has done. Williams needs more pieces around him before you see the true impact of his game. Rose (when healthy) would have been a better fit in New Jersey last year, when Williams struggled to lead a team devoid of talent outside his own.

But better point guard? It’s an “eye of the beholder” question.

Who would I pick? Depends on the rest of my roster. Cop out, I know, but unless I get to choose CP3 I’m sticking with it.

Unless you’re C.J. Watson and need to kiss up to the key employee at the new job.

1. weedman8693 - Jul 25, 2012 at 5:05 PM

HA

2. diablito0402 - Jul 25, 2012 at 5:28 PM

Dwill got boozer a max contract, right, drose got boozer the best record in the nba haahh!!

• mannyfresh209 - Jul 25, 2012 at 6:16 PM

D.Rose almost got Boozer amnestied. Lol

3. mcjon22 - Jul 25, 2012 at 6:32 PM

When D-Rose comes back, CJ Watsons ankles should be afraid, very afraid.

BTW CJ, worry about your own game. You just got released because the Bulls didn’t think you were worth 3 mil a season. But it’s nice to see you not pass away the question ( cough cough game 6, Omer Asik)

4. fanz928 - Jul 25, 2012 at 7:07 PM

Cp3 is better than both he’s a elite scorer and a floor general rose needs to learn some passing skill from him

5. fanz928 - Jul 25, 2012 at 7:11 PM

Cp3
    Rondo
    Williams
    Rose
    Westbrook
    Nash(old)
    Kidd(old)

• stayhigh_247 - Jul 26, 2012 at 12:45 AM

all those guys bring different things to the table, so it’s not really possible to say whose the best. I would break your list down into similar player traits:

D Rose
      Russell Westcoast (speed kills with these 2, John Wall should be in this group)

Cp3
      D Will
      Nash (thinking mans game, this trio could be interchangeable)

Rondo (shares the same killer instinct with CP3)
      J Kidd (not only similar but both have rings)

as for CJ Watson, my ? is who are you better than? Certainly not Jrue Holiday, he housed you in the playoffs which is why you have to kiss D Will ass these days. D Rose will deposit this into the memory bank on his way to the finals, benedict arnold.

6. diablito0402 - Jul 25, 2012 at 8:10 PM

If rose was healthy right now, i promise he will be starting for USA in olympics, just sayin…

7. tomossriceenoughsaid - Jul 25, 2012 at 8:20 PM

idk Watson I have never seen Drose do the splits after a nasty crossover! http://www.worldstarhiphop.com/videos/video.php?v=wshhSRoGa1jTL0BlI8t5

8. cornbreadbbqred - Jul 25, 2012 at 8:29 PM

D-Rose, if you could have the healthy one back. Ask Robert Westbrook, whose team D-Rose dispatched in the NCAA Championship game. No, disrespect to D-Will or CP3, but I think in terms of back courts I think I would take Nash-Bryant and run with that for the next few years. Lakers fans like talking back court instead of individual play. Look out OKC and Big Three!

• mannyfresh209 - Jul 25, 2012 at 11:12 PM

Yeah mean the Championship Game D. Rose lost from missing free throws? That one? Or another one? Could’ve sworn he went to Memphis for just his freshman year. Could be wrong, though.

9. 3pointlegend - Jul 25, 2012 at 11:48 PM

CJ Watson statement is not outrageous, the timing is bad. Right now D Will have the winds at his back . A new contract, new stadium, Joe Johnson to play with. Meanwhile Rose may not play this season or at the least not until March. This was a clear attempt to score brownie points with his new teammates. Can’t go wrong with either, I do take exception with the author that wants to include CP3. Russell Westbrook is better than CP3 period.

Wizards playing spoiler in East