Jul 25, 2012, 8:29 AM EDT
Apparently new Trail Blazers general manager Neil Olshey went to the “Rich Cho School of Coach Interviews.”
Just like Cho did with the Bobcats coaching search, Olshey did first interviews with basically every coach West of the Mississippi and may be throwing in a few more for good measure, reports Jason Quick of the Oregonian. Last week at Summer League in Las Vegas Olshey had plenty of opportunity, Summer League is like an NBA convention.
Here is the Oregonian’s list of who has been interviewed
The candidates who are known to have interviewed with Olshey are Indiana assistant Brian Shaw; Golden State assistant Michael Malone; Dallas assistant Terry Stotts; Memphis assistant David Joerger; former Orlando assistant Steve Clifford, who is nearing a deal to be an assistant in Chicago; Phoenix assistant Elston Turner; Atlanta assistant Lester Conner; Miami assistant David Fizdale, Chicago assistant Adrian Griffin and former Knicks and Phoenix assistant Phil Weber.
And there will be a few more before the second round of interviews start.
Olshey has reportedly talked to Jerry Sloan and Phil Jackson about the job, but neither thought it was a fit. so Olshey is casting a wide net.
- Kobe Bryant thinks he could physically play beyond contract extension 10
- Trey Burke, in wake of nude-photo scandal: ‘My judgments will be much better’ 12
- Report: Kevin Durant says he wants to play in 2016 Olympics (his free agent summer) 5
- Morris twins sign four-year extensions with Suns 11
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Washington Wizards 3
- Rockets’ Daryl Morey fires back at Mark Cuban: If you care about chemistry, why break up a title team? 35
- Deron Williams fires back at Kobe: “If I’m 0-for-f******-9, I’m not shooting 20 more shots” 43
- LeBron James on running the Cavaliers offense: ‘This is Kyrie’s show’ 29