Jul 25, 2012, 12:56 PM EST
Oh, this one is going to be fun.
The New York Knicks will open their season against the Brooklyn Nets, opening up the new Barclays Center and a budding rivalry in New York, according to Newsday. It is a TNT nationally televised game on Nov. 1, according to the report.
The Knicks would then return to Madison Square Garden for their home opener against the Miami Heat, according to another report.
The NBA will release its full schedule on Thursday (NBA TV will host a broadcast looking at the highlights, which begins at 7 p.m. Eastern). Traditionally in the days leading up to the schedule being released all sorts of highlights leak out (and those leaks usually turn out to be correct).
The Knicks opening up the new Brooklyn arena should be interesting, just to see what the fan ratio will be. Nets gear is suddenly a hot thing and is seen all over New York City now, and the Nets have put together what should be an entertaining team (Deron Williams, Joe Johnson, Brook Lopez, Gerald Henderson) but their fan base in the city is young. The Knicks are established and they have stars like Carmelo Anthony and Amare Stoudemire. Last year when the Knicks played the Nets in Newark, New Jersey, it sounded like a Knicks home game.
- Arena evacuated after apparent fire, Spurs-Timberwolves game in Mexico City postponed 7
- Milwaukee police release video, cite Larry Sanders for bar fight 8
- PBT Extra: Focusing on “epic showdown” between Knicks, Nets 5
- Carmelo Anthony: “We are the laughingstock of the league right now” 24
- Joe Johnson says players noticed friction between Jason Kidd and Lawrence Frank 26
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (63)
- Report: Dion Waiters accused Kyrie Irving, Tristan Thompson of playing “buddy ball.” (53)
- Michael Beasley finding a role, groove in Miami (41)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (41)
- With game in balance, Jason Kidd tells player to “hit me,” spills drink, gets psuedo timeout to draw up play (40)