Jul 25, 2012, 5:02 PM EDT
We told you recently that for the first round of coaching interviews, new Blazers General Manager Neil Olshey interviewed seemingly everyone.
Now that list is down to four, and not four Blazers fans are going to jump up and down about, reports Jason Quick at the Oregonian.
The Oregonian has learned the Blazers Final Four coaching candidates: Terry Stotts, Elston Turner, Steve Clifford and Kaleb Canales
Yawn. No Brian Shaw. No Mike Malone. No sexy names in that four.
Which is different than saying Portland can’t get a good coach out of that list. Canales was the guy given the job in the interim last season after Nate McMillan was let go, and Canales did a good job. Stotts is a current Mavericks assistant and a former head coach in Atlanta. Elston Turner is a former NBA player who has spent 16 years as an NBA assistant that some teams have had on their coaching radar for a while. Clifford is a long-time assistant who has worked under both Stan and Jeff Van Gundy. All may well make a good head coach.
But I’m curious: What has happened that Shaw and Malone, the two guys at the top off the assistant coach ladder, can’t get a gig? I’m not in the interview room and a lot of things need to go into that hire, but it’s odd to see them keep getting passed over again and again. It’s not like Shaw is walking in there and saying, “Phil Jackson said I need to ask for at least $10 million a year.”
Some team is going to grab one of them and be glad they did.
- LeBron James: “(The Bulls) are a team that’s much better than us right now just off chemistry” 32
- Has Kobe Bryant cost the Lakers Dwight Howard, Carmelo Anthony, Paul George and others? 64
- Five favorites to win NBA 2014-15 MVP 18
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 preview: San Antonio Spurs 7
- NBA’s 44-minute game clocks in at under 2 hours, players barely notice (VIDEO) 2
- Nets coach Hollins on 44-minute game: ‘The change will be for the guys who don’t start’ 11
- Spurs’ Gregg Popovich fires back at Suns owner’s apology: ‘I’m just surprised he didn’t do it in a chicken suit’ 8
- Blake Griffin goes after Trevor Booker following flagrant foul, says he may retaliate in the future (VIDEO) 31