Jul 25, 2012, 5:02 PM EDT
We told you recently that for the first round of coaching interviews, new Blazers General Manager Neil Olshey interviewed seemingly everyone.
Now that list is down to four, and not four Blazers fans are going to jump up and down about, reports Jason Quick at the Oregonian.
The Oregonian has learned the Blazers Final Four coaching candidates: Terry Stotts, Elston Turner, Steve Clifford and Kaleb Canales
Yawn. No Brian Shaw. No Mike Malone. No sexy names in that four.
Which is different than saying Portland can’t get a good coach out of that list. Canales was the guy given the job in the interim last season after Nate McMillan was let go, and Canales did a good job. Stotts is a current Mavericks assistant and a former head coach in Atlanta. Elston Turner is a former NBA player who has spent 16 years as an NBA assistant that some teams have had on their coaching radar for a while. Clifford is a long-time assistant who has worked under both Stan and Jeff Van Gundy. All may well make a good head coach.
But I’m curious: What has happened that Shaw and Malone, the two guys at the top off the assistant coach ladder, can’t get a gig? I’m not in the interview room and a lot of things need to go into that hire, but it’s odd to see them keep getting passed over again and again. It’s not like Shaw is walking in there and saying, “Phil Jackson said I need to ask for at least $10 million a year.”
Some team is going to grab one of them and be glad they did.
- Goran Dragic leading feisty Heat’s playoff push 1
- NBA Draft prospect matchups to watch in NCAA Tourament this weekend 2
- Report: LeBron James frustrated with Kevin Love for not fitting in 84
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Wednesday: Kevin Love seems to be fitting in just fine suddenly 4
- It’s official: Dwight Howard will return to Rockets’ lineup Wednesday 2
- Dwyane Wade on MVP race: “I would say James Harden” 27
- Report: Rockets’ Patrick Beverley has torn ligament in wrist, to decide course in 7-10 days 2
- Derrick Rose expects to be cleared for contact soon, says he feels no pain in right knee 9