Jul 25, 2012, 12:13 PM EST
Boston is already pretty deep with swingmen. They have Paul Pierce starting at the three with Jeff Green back behind him. Avery Bradley starts at the two guard and Courtney Lee is behind him, with Jason Terry able to play that role depending on how Doc Rivers decides his rotations.
Mickael Pietrus is a luxury for Boston at this point, and for that the Celtics are only going to pay the veteran minimum ($1.23 million in this case, with his nine years in the league) for a guy who plays limited minutes and has had knee surgeries the past couple of summers.
Pietrus will not play for that, his agent Bill McCandless told WEEI in Boston, in no uncertain terms.
“MP will not play for the veteran’s minimum. Period,” said McCandless. “It’s not happening. That’s the beginning, middle and end of that. … He is not a veteran’s minimum player. There’s no chance he’ll ever sign for that….
“I’ve had the veteran minimum thrown at me like hubcaps,” added McCandless. “In this collective bargaining agreement, a component of any player’s wishes and desires is the money teams are willing to pay. They’re pro athletes. My mother might cry in her beer when Johnny Damon runs away to the Yankees, but you and I understand it’s a business.”
Pietrus played in 42 games for Boston last year and wasn’t terribly efficient, shooting 38.5 percent overall (33.5 percent from three). He scored 6.9 points per game for Boston but needed 6.4 shots a game to do it.
Another team might be willing to jump in for a couple million, and his agent says there are overseas offers, but Boston seems out of the picture.
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Sunday: Thunder don’t look like playoff team yet 0
- Report: Hornets, Nets talking possible Lance Stephenson for Joe Johnson trade 6
- Hassan Whiteside posts 14-point, 13-rebound, 12-block triple-double in Heat win over Bulls (VIDEO) 29
- Brandon Jennings leaves game in wheelchair, may have torn Achilles 8
- LaMarcus Aldridge decides to delay surgery, will return for Blazers Saturday vs. Wizards 7
- WATCH: Kobe Bryant’s doctor explains diagnosis to him following exam of injured shoulder 10
- Report: Cavaliers players say they ‘had lost faith’ due to lack of depth and roster construction 46
- Kobe Bryant will be back next season, he can’t resist the challenge 20