Jul 25, 2012, 12:13 PM EST
Boston is already pretty deep with swingmen. They have Paul Pierce starting at the three with Jeff Green back behind him. Avery Bradley starts at the two guard and Courtney Lee is behind him, with Jason Terry able to play that role depending on how Doc Rivers decides his rotations.
Mickael Pietrus is a luxury for Boston at this point, and for that the Celtics are only going to pay the veteran minimum ($1.23 million in this case, with his nine years in the league) for a guy who plays limited minutes and has had knee surgeries the past couple of summers.
Pietrus will not play for that, his agent Bill McCandless told WEEI in Boston, in no uncertain terms.
“MP will not play for the veteran’s minimum. Period,” said McCandless. “It’s not happening. That’s the beginning, middle and end of that. … He is not a veteran’s minimum player. There’s no chance he’ll ever sign for that….
“I’ve had the veteran minimum thrown at me like hubcaps,” added McCandless. “In this collective bargaining agreement, a component of any player’s wishes and desires is the money teams are willing to pay. They’re pro athletes. My mother might cry in her beer when Johnny Damon runs away to the Yankees, but you and I understand it’s a business.”
Pietrus played in 42 games for Boston last year and wasn’t terribly efficient, shooting 38.5 percent overall (33.5 percent from three). He scored 6.9 points per game for Boston but needed 6.4 shots a game to do it.
Another team might be willing to jump in for a couple million, and his agent says there are overseas offers, but Boston seems out of the picture.
- Sources: Kings prefer George Karl, not serious about hiring Mark Jackson 8
- Nuggets Danilo Gallinari has meniscus tear in right knee, out three weeks after surgery 5
- Rajon Rondo was very Rondoesque in debut with Mavericks (VIDEO) 19
- Report: Kings discussing trade for Deron Williams with Nets 12
- Report: Multiple teams contacting Suns trying to trade for Goran Dragic 10
- Clippers rip officials after being called for seven technical fouls in loss to Nuggets 18
- Jeremy Lin after Kobe misses at the buzzer: ‘I like game-winners too’ 60
- Damian Lillard drops career high 43, leads Blazers to 3OT win over Spurs (VIDEO) 8