Jul 25, 2012, 12:13 PM EDT
Boston is already pretty deep with swingmen. They have Paul Pierce starting at the three with Jeff Green back behind him. Avery Bradley starts at the two guard and Courtney Lee is behind him, with Jason Terry able to play that role depending on how Doc Rivers decides his rotations.
Mickael Pietrus is a luxury for Boston at this point, and for that the Celtics are only going to pay the veteran minimum ($1.23 million in this case, with his nine years in the league) for a guy who plays limited minutes and has had knee surgeries the past couple of summers.
Pietrus will not play for that, his agent Bill McCandless told WEEI in Boston, in no uncertain terms.
“MP will not play for the veteran’s minimum. Period,” said McCandless. “It’s not happening. That’s the beginning, middle and end of that. … He is not a veteran’s minimum player. There’s no chance he’ll ever sign for that….
“I’ve had the veteran minimum thrown at me like hubcaps,” added McCandless. “In this collective bargaining agreement, a component of any player’s wishes and desires is the money teams are willing to pay. They’re pro athletes. My mother might cry in her beer when Johnny Damon runs away to the Yankees, but you and I understand it’s a business.”
Pietrus played in 42 games for Boston last year and wasn’t terribly efficient, shooting 38.5 percent overall (33.5 percent from three). He scored 6.9 points per game for Boston but needed 6.4 shots a game to do it.
Another team might be willing to jump in for a couple million, and his agent says there are overseas offers, but Boston seems out of the picture.
- Cavaliers officially sign Andrew Wiggins, putting 30-day hold on him being traded 14
- Lakers deny rumor they are waiting around for Doc Rivers to be coach 39
- James Harden: “Dwight and I are the cornerstones of the Rockets. The rest of the guys are role players.” 81
- Mavericks signing Al-Farouq Aminu to two-year, minimum salary contract 12
- Report: Ballmer’s $2 billion Clippers offer nearly double what Bank of America valued team at 20
- Report: Jameer Nelson near $2.7 million deal to join Dallas Mavericks 17
- Report: Mavericks void Rashard Lewis’ contract after it’s discovered he needs knee surgery 13
- Report: Sixers, Nuggets or Celtics could become third team in Kevin Love trade to Cavaliers 48