Jul 25, 2012, 7:57 AM EDT
We told you Tuesday that Brooklyn was making a push to get the services of Andrei Kirilenko, who spent last season with CSKA Moscow but wants to return to the NBA.
But Brooklyn is out now out of the running, tweets Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo Sports. Not a shock because while the Nets could have Deron Williams trying to recruit, they also could only offer the veteran minimum.
The new front-runner appears to be the Minnesota Timberwolves, Woj tweets.
Minnesota is part of a three-team deal deep in discussion that sends Robin Lopez and Hakim Warrick to New Orleans, Phoenix would get Wesley Johnson and a 1st round pick, and the Timberwolves would get the contract of Brad Miller (who is about to retire) and some filler.
What that trade does for Minnesota is clear out cap space, allowing the Timberwolves to offer more money to Kirilenko.
Kirilenko would come off the bench in Minnesota as a change of pace behind Kevin Love. He also could play beside Love in a small lineup.
In the mean time, Kirilenko is playing on the Russian national team in the London Olympics.
Nothing is set here, lots of dominoes have to fall. But this seems to be happening.
- LeBron James gets another triple-double, now favorite for Finals MVP 9
- A ‘devastated’ Manu Ginobili says he has no clue how Spurs will re-energize in time for Game 7 24
- Spurs execution fails them when it matters most. Can they get it back for Game 7? 8
- Heat force a Finals Game 7 with thrilling overtime win over Spurs 16
- NBA Finals Game 6: Heat comeback in fourth, win in overtime to force Game 7 102
- NBA Finals Game 6: Heat comeback in fourth, win in overtime to force Game 7 (103)
- If Spurs win, it is LeBron’s legacy that will take biggest hit (83)
- Lakers unlikely to sign and trade Dwight Howard to the Clippers, Rockets, or anyone else (81)
- LeBron James: “I just have to play better” (78)
- Heat’s Big Three dominate Game 4 to even the Finals at two games apiece (74)
- Heat rally to beat Spurs in Game 6
- PBT: After blowing lead, can Spurs rebound in Game 7?
- PST: On-fire Altidore lifts USA over Honduras in WCQ
- CSN: Pats' Hernandez questioned in murder case
- Underseeded? Nadal draws No. 5 at Wimbledon
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead
- HBT: Mets' Wheeler goes six scoreless in MLB debut
- Play Video: Bosh: 'We'll see who hits first'
- Play Video: PBT Extra: LeBron's legacy at stake, Duncan's safe
- Play Video: Clippers, Celtics discussions 'can't be wrong'
- Play Video: Elliot looks ahead to Game 6
- Play Video: The Hype: How much would you pay to punch someone?
- Play Video: If Heat lose, 'all hell will break loose'