Jul 25, 2012, 2:12 PM EDT
Nobody questions Kobe Bryant’s condition. Shot selection? Yes. Willingness to pass? Yes. But his commitment to his craft and his body are never in doubt.
So if Kobe drops 16 pounds, you know it was a choice. And he did that not only for the Olympics but the season he sees ahead, he told the London Guardian.
Beyond experimental therapy, Bryant reveals how else his appearance has changed, losing 16 pounds to prepare his older body for the rigours of the Olympics followed by another run at his sixth NBA title. “With summer basketball leading directly into the season – and I’m expecting to play until next June – I have to take some load off my knees. I’ve got to shave some of this weight.”
Kobe can take all the trips to Germany for exotic treatments he wants, it can only slow the march of time. Kobe knows that, knows he is asking a lot of his body, and knows that a lighter weight lessens the load his knees have to bear.
I really recommend you read the entire story from the Guardian if you are a Kobe fan, it’s well done.
- Phil Jackson says Knicks wanted Goran Dragic at trade deadline. Because he’s such a triangle fit? 10
- Report: Cavaliers sign Matthew Dellavedova 7
- Heat trade Zoran Dragic, second-rounder to Celtics 10
- Report: Cavaliers trade Brendan Haywood, Mike Miller, two second-round picks to Portland 16
- Blake Griffin, Stephen Curry among latest big names headed to Team USA mini-camp 7
- Kyrie Irving off crutches, cleared by doctors to start working out 8
- Report: Becky Hammon gaining traction around the NBA as “serious” head-coaching candidate 42
- Gregg Popovich discusses three-point shot, changing roles for bigs in NBA 4