Carmelo thinks his Team USA play will benefit Knicks

Jul 25, 2012, 12:38 PM EDT

Carmelo Anthony of the US Olympic basket AP

Carmelo Anthony was the best player on the floor for Team USA in their convincing win over Spain. He came off the bench shooting, knocking down good look threes and helping change the momentum of the game.

It’s a very different Anthony than the ball-dominating one we see on the NBA hardwood. Here is works hard off the ball and lets the offense runs through others. He takes the shots when he gets them or moves the ball if the defense adjusts. And he plays more positions — he was guarding Pau Gasol in the post at times against Spain.

He likes that diversity. And the good news for Knicks fans is he thinks that what is happening here could carry over to New York next season. That’s what he told Chris Sheridan of Sheridanhoops.com.

“I don’t like (international basketball) better than NBA basketball. I play NBA basketball, that’s my career, that’s my life blood,” Anthony said. “But FIBA basketball allows me to play multiple positions and do a lot of different things out there on the basketball court than I do in the NBA. I’m in a different position, I play the 3, the 4, the 5. I don’t play the 5 back in the NBA. Over here, with these guys on the team, it’s more playing off of them, doing some dirty work, when the ball comes to you trying to knock down shots, rebounding. Most of the times I’m playing against 4s and 5s, and it’s a much more physical game than in the NBA. I won’t be playing the 5 in New York, I know that.

“But this whole experience, every time I come back and play USA basketball, my mindset is a lot different. The team-oriented atmosphere I bring back to my team, the focus I have, my conditioning, and carrying that into the regular season, it’s like I’m getting an early start. Look at what happened the year after we won the gold medal. In 2009 I had one of my best seasons with Denver and we went to the Western Conference finals. My body felt great, my mind felt great – and that’s something I keep in the back of my mind coming out of USA Basketball.”

Knicks fans hope so.

Anthony playing off the ball a little and letting Raymond Felton and Amare Stoudemire run some pick-and-roll action — which they had a nice chemistry doing in the pre-‘Melo era — would help diversify and strengthen the Knicks offense. ‘Melo doing some of the dirty work for the team would as well.

The Knicks are going to be good. Likely not contenders out of the East, but good. How good may depend largely on how much ‘Melo lives up to these words.

1. cakemixa - Jul 25, 2012 at 12:43 PM

Not sure if Carmelo realizes his teammates on the Knicks won’t be Lebron, KD, Kobe, CP3, etc.

• gmen4life33 - Jul 25, 2012 at 3:36 PM

As a Knicks fan that made me literally lol.

Melo is just being Melo. He just doesnt get it when it comes to idea that you need team ball to win in playoffs.

” Over here, with these guys on the team, it’s more playing off of them, doing some dirty work, when the ball comes to you trying to knock down shots, rebounding.”

and why cant you do that w/ the Knicks Mr. Melo?

2. blaksteele - Jul 25, 2012 at 1:03 PM

“It’s a very different Anthony than the ball-dominating one we see on the NBA hardwood. Here is works hard off the ball and lets the offense runs through others. He takes the shots when he gets them or moves the ball if the defense adjusts.”

-If you can get that thru your head, then maybe.

3. misterdreamer119 - Jul 25, 2012 at 2:04 PM

Hes a poor mans Kobe.

4. sunsation3413 - Jul 25, 2012 at 3:09 PM

Carmelo isnt going to change. He will be the same selfish, ball hogging, no defense player he has always been. A poor mans Kobe….ha. Not even close to being that committed to his game.

5. truthhurtstoo - Jul 25, 2012 at 3:25 PM

He’s now playing with MUCH better players with Team USA. Sadly, he will have to go back to the Nicks soon- get ready for more of the same from him.

6. turnmymicup - Jul 25, 2012 at 3:46 PM

He played good the last game but this hasn’t been happening every game. I’ve seen plenty of bone head shots from Melo on Team USA. Once he is back to playing in MSG we will see the same Melo come back. Nothing new.

7. pvaz869 - Jul 25, 2012 at 3:55 PM

He said that last Olympics

8. diablito0402 - Jul 25, 2012 at 3:56 PM

Poormans kobe?? Hahaha i dont think so, not even that..

9. passerby23 - Jul 25, 2012 at 3:57 PM

I actually think Melo has a point. He had his best year coming back from a gold medal and seemed to play better team ball on Denver that year. I’m skeptical he won’t go back to his old ways again, but hopefully the Knicks play better team ball.

10. nokoolaidcowboy - Jul 25, 2012 at 5:16 PM

Really Dr. Anthony? Care to enlighten us further with your intelligent observations? Will you be inviting your team mates to the Olympics or just showing them highlight film?

11. mrpowers88 - Jul 25, 2012 at 7:18 PM

Yes it will help Melo this upcoming season, and then he can forget it for the next 3

12. dysraw1 - Jul 26, 2012 at 9:15 AM

with growth an maturity positive change is inevitable i am glad the man believes in his self with all the naysayers & doubters who say hes incapable of becoming self aware well they just don’t see it. an have the man pigeon hole as a selfish all about me ball player. people will always have something to say.

Why can't Lakers have a player-coach?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches