Jul 25, 2012, 2:41 PM EDT
UPDATE 2:41 pm: Former Hornets GM Jeff Bower also is going to be interviewed for the 76ers position, reports Ken Berger of CBSSports.com. He reminds us that Danny Ferry also was interviewed for this job but decided to take the Hawks GM job instead.
We’ll see how it shakes out, but reports remain that things are really close with Penn.
1:16 pm: This leaked out a few days back, when former Portland assistant general manager and current ESPN analyst Tom Penn was seen hanging out in Las Vegas with Sixers ownership, but now we have a second report. A confirmation, if you will.
Tom Penn is the frontrunner to become the new Philadelphia general manager and eventually succeed Rod Thorn as team president, according to the Philadelphia Inquirer.
The 76ers are close to signing former Portland Trail Blazers executive Tom Penn as their new general manager, according to a source. Penn would replace president Rod Thorn, who is set to move to an advisory role with the team….
The source said that Penn was in Philadelphia and that a deal could be very close.
Penn was the cap and deal specialist in Portland who worked with Kevin Pritchard, who was more the player evaluation side of being a GM. Both Penn can do both and can certainly surround himself with talent evaluators he trusts.
He seems a guy well suited to being a team president in a few years.
- John Calipari comes to defense of Derrick Rose 3
- Tony Allen fined $5,000 for overacting on Ginobili foul 12
- Preview: Pacers must take back paint to even series with Heat 4
- Celtics deny Nets permission to speak with head coach Doc Rivers 5
- PBT Extra: Talking Heat/Pacers, and why Indy might be optimistic 12
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (124)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (81)
- LeBron’s triple-double, game-winner in overtime lead Heat to Game 1 win over Pacers (65)
- Pacers advance to the Eastern Conference Finals with Game 6 win over Knicks (60)
- If Phil Jackson could have any player to start a team it would be… Bill Russell (59)
- Watch LIVE: Pens-Sens, Game 5
- Tiger, LeBron and bids to be the best that ever lived
- PBT: Pacers must take back paint to beat Heat
- HBT: A-Rod sells Miami home for $30 million
- PST: Key battles for Champions League final
- Struggling Blackhawks on brink of elimination
- PHT: Wings push Blackhawks to brink | Highlights