Jul 24, 2012, 12:27 PM EDT
Iman Shupert and his quality wing defense will be out the first couple months of the season as he recovers from knee surgery (and maybe longer as it takes a while to get up to speed).
In his place, the Knicks are bringing in Ronnie Brewer, the two sides have reached a one-year deal according to David Aldridge of NBA.com. This is a good pickup for New York, something they could do because the Bulls did not pick up his $4.3 million option for this season.
Brewer started 43 games for the Bulls last season and played in all 66, giving them 6.9 points per game. But he wasn’t really playing because of his offensive skills, rather it was about the other end of the floor.
The Knicks may start Brewer (as they did Shumpert) and bring J.R. Smith and his scoring off the bench. Brewer was part of the solid role player rotation in Chicago last year and Tom Thibodeau loved how he fit in. Mike Woodson will as well.
- CP3 who? Clippers come from behind to take Game 1 from Rockets on road. 0
- Bulls ride hot start, strong shooting night to Game 1 win in Cleveland 18
- Chris Paul out for Game 1 of Clippers-Rockets series 1
- PBT Extra: Stephen Curry is the MVP for a modern NBA 13
- PBT Second-Round Playoff Previews: Cleveland Cavaliers vs. Chicago Bulls 6
- PBT Extra: Can Jimmy Butler have success slowing LeBron James? 3
- PBT Extra: Dwight Howard, DeAndre Jordan matchup key part of Clippers vs. Rockets 2
- Stephen Curry wins MVP with 100 of 130 first-place votes, but James Harden closest second place in four years 22