Jul 24, 2012, 12:27 PM EST
Iman Shupert and his quality wing defense will be out the first couple months of the season as he recovers from knee surgery (and maybe longer as it takes a while to get up to speed).
In his place, the Knicks are bringing in Ronnie Brewer, the two sides have reached a one-year deal according to David Aldridge of NBA.com. This is a good pickup for New York, something they could do because the Bulls did not pick up his $4.3 million option for this season.
Brewer started 43 games for the Bulls last season and played in all 66, giving them 6.9 points per game. But he wasn’t really playing because of his offensive skills, rather it was about the other end of the floor.
The Knicks may start Brewer (as they did Shumpert) and bring J.R. Smith and his scoring off the bench. Brewer was part of the solid role player rotation in Chicago last year and Tom Thibodeau loved how he fit in. Mike Woodson will as well.
- Nuggets need to decide direction, then hire coach 18
- Report: Russell Westbrook ‘likely’ to return to Thunder lineup Wednesday, will wear protective mask 13
- Nuggets have fired head coach Brian Shaw 29
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Monday: Goran Dragic got his revenge in concentrated form 4
- League suspends James Harden one game for kick to LeBron James’ groin 23
- PBT’s weekly NBA Power Rankings: Hawks seem to be out of malaise. Maybe. 11
- Report: Jimmy Butler could miss three to four weeks with elbow injury 7
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Sunday: James Harden, LeBron James want your MVP vote 11