Jul 24, 2012, 12:27 PM EDT
Iman Shupert and his quality wing defense will be out the first couple months of the season as he recovers from knee surgery (and maybe longer as it takes a while to get up to speed).
In his place, the Knicks are bringing in Ronnie Brewer, the two sides have reached a one-year deal according to David Aldridge of NBA.com. This is a good pickup for New York, something they could do because the Bulls did not pick up his $4.3 million option for this season.
Brewer started 43 games for the Bulls last season and played in all 66, giving them 6.9 points per game. But he wasn’t really playing because of his offensive skills, rather it was about the other end of the floor.
The Knicks may start Brewer (as they did Shumpert) and bring J.R. Smith and his scoring off the bench. Brewer was part of the solid role player rotation in Chicago last year and Tom Thibodeau loved how he fit in. Mike Woodson will as well.
- Bulls fire Tom Thibodeau 51
- Dwight Howard: “I’m still a champion. And I won’t let anyone tell me anything different.” 67
- Rockets had an excellent season. Are they content with that? 19
- Harden struggles, Warriors role players step up leading team to Finals for first time in 40 years 40
- Dwight Howard hit with suspension-triggering technical foul 7
- PBT Extra: Cavaliers’ improved defense helps them to Finals 8
- Reports: Bulls getting closer to firing Tom Thibodeau 30
- PBT Extra: Despite ending, Hawks had season worth celebrating 3