Jul 24, 2012, 12:27 PM EST
Iman Shupert and his quality wing defense will be out the first couple months of the season as he recovers from knee surgery (and maybe longer as it takes a while to get up to speed).
In his place, the Knicks are bringing in Ronnie Brewer, the two sides have reached a one-year deal according to David Aldridge of NBA.com. This is a good pickup for New York, something they could do because the Bulls did not pick up his $4.3 million option for this season.
Brewer started 43 games for the Bulls last season and played in all 66, giving them 6.9 points per game. But he wasn’t really playing because of his offensive skills, rather it was about the other end of the floor.
The Knicks may start Brewer (as they did Shumpert) and bring J.R. Smith and his scoring off the bench. Brewer was part of the solid role player rotation in Chicago last year and Tom Thibodeau loved how he fit in. Mike Woodson will as well.
- PBT’s weekly NBA Power Rankings: Santa brings Warriors top spot, lump of coal for Knicks 9
- Clippers, Mavericks, Rockets and Kings reportedly interested in signing Josh Smith 15
- Pistons release Josh Smith. WHAT? 56
- Lakers may give Kobe Bryant some nights off to rest. If he wants them. 27
- PBT’s Sunday Night Winners/Losers: Anthony Davis is playing like an MVP 13
- Sources: Kings prefer George Karl, not serious about hiring Mark Jackson 8
- Nuggets Danilo Gallinari has meniscus tear in right knee, out three weeks after surgery 7
- Rajon Rondo was very Rondoesque in debut with Mavericks (VIDEO) 20