Jul 24, 2012, 10:36 AM EDT
When healthy last season, Delonte West played pretty well for the Dallas Mavericks — 9.6 points per game on 46 percent shooting with a PER of 15.3 Those are solid minutes, which is why he started 33 games for them.
And why they want him back.
Mavericks GM Donnie Nelson told the Star-Telegram he has targeted getting West back.
“We’ve got 15 spots and 13 players are under contract,’’ general manager Donnie Nelson told fishbowlradionetwork.com on Monday. “We’ve got a little work to do yet, hopefully Delonte will slide into one of those spots.
“If that’s the case that’ll be great.’’
After that, the Mavericks may keep that final roster spot open, giving them flexibility should someone come on the market they want to sign, or to take on an extra player in a trade. Look for Dallas to only offer West a one-year deal as they try to keep their financial flexibility heading into next summer.
- Warriors take Game 1 from Clippers 0
- Nets defense smothers Raptors, gets Brooklyn Game 1 win on road 27
- PBT Extra: Are Pacers or Spurs in any trouble in first round? 5
- All PBT’s first round playoff previews in one place 0
- Grizzlies guard Nick Calathes suspended 20 games for violating NBA’s anti-drug policy 28