Jul 24, 2012, 10:36 AM EDT
When healthy last season, Delonte West played pretty well for the Dallas Mavericks — 9.6 points per game on 46 percent shooting with a PER of 15.3 Those are solid minutes, which is why he started 33 games for them.
And why they want him back.
Mavericks GM Donnie Nelson told the Star-Telegram he has targeted getting West back.
“We’ve got 15 spots and 13 players are under contract,’’ general manager Donnie Nelson told fishbowlradionetwork.com on Monday. “We’ve got a little work to do yet, hopefully Delonte will slide into one of those spots.
“If that’s the case that’ll be great.’’
After that, the Mavericks may keep that final roster spot open, giving them flexibility should someone come on the market they want to sign, or to take on an extra player in a trade. Look for Dallas to only offer West a one-year deal as they try to keep their financial flexibility heading into next summer.
- PBT Extra with NBASavant.com: Draymond Green helped hold Anthony Davis in relative check 0
- Cavaliers’ Kevin Love out for entire conference semifinals (likely vs. Bulls) 3
- PBT Extra with NBASavant.com: LeBron got his shots despite good Celtics defense 3
- PBT Extra: For how long should J.R. Smith be suspended? 27
- Report: If Kevin Love leaves Cavaliers, Lakers are team to beat in free agency 31
- Rumor: Kevin Love out minimum of two weeks, will likely miss most or all of series vs. Bulls 39
- Monta Ellis, J.J. Barea pairing ignites Mavericks offense, gets Dallas Game 4 win over Houston 10
- Wizards blow out Raptors to complete first-round sweep 17