Jul 24, 2012, 11:08 AM EDT
On paper, Kevin Love should be playing increasingly key minutes for Team USA — he is second most logical center behind Tyson Chandler, his rebounding and outlet passing skills fit the up-tempo style Team USA wants to play, and on offense he can hit the three and pull opposing bigs away from the basket.
But in practice, he is seeing his minutes shrinking. Mostly because Team USA can get offense from a lot of sources, what they need are guys who can defend. That’s why you’re seeing more Andre Iguodala. Love is not adapting to the physical style of international ball and is trying to be more finesse and not defending the rim like the Americans need their bigs to do. Anthony Davis is raw but he’s more of a defensive force right now.
Love is going to get his chance to prove his worth Tuesday — Team USA will need him to match up against the size of Spain and it’s front line of Marc Gasol, Pau Gasol and Serge Ibaka. One way or another, Love is going to prove where he fits on this team Tuesday.
Love told Chris Sheridan of Sheridanhoops.com he is frustrated and wants to prove he belongs.
“Obviously I’d like to go out there and be playing with these guys, I really feel like I can help. I know my abilities and know what I’m capable of,” Love said Monday. “You know, Coach K and I have talked about it — this isn’t 2010. I obviously played more in 2010, but I’m a completely different player now and a far better player. So we’ll wait and see what happens. I worked into my playing time in 2010, and hopefully that’ll happen here. I just need to find a way to get into a rhythm in limited minutes, which is tough.”
It’s really pretty simple. Outwork a Gasol for a rebound. Knock Jose Calderon on his a** when he drives the lane. Defend the post like a beast. Don’t worry about the offense, that will come. If you want to do more than have just really good seats in London for the games, you’ve got to earn it.
Tuesday is your chance.
- PBT Extra: Previewing Heat/Spurs NBA Finals Game 7 0
- Utah Jazz bring back Jerry Sloan as team consultant 3
- Celtics, Clippers restart Doc Rivers-Kevin Garnett trades talks at Chris Paul’s wish 9
- Chris Bosh to fans who left Game 6 early: ‘Don’t come back for Game 7′ 35
- Wade says left knee sore, swollen, but will play through it 16
- NBA Finals Game 6: Heat comeback in fourth, win in overtime to force Game 7 (125)
- If Spurs win, it is LeBron’s legacy that will take biggest hit (85)
- Lakers unlikely to sign and trade Dwight Howard to the Clippers, Rockets, or anyone else (81)
- Chris Bosh blocks Spurs’ Game 6 comeback attempt (video) (79)
- Heat’s Big Three dominate Game 4 to even the Finals at two games apiece (74)
- LIVE: Bruins-Blackhawks, Game 4
- Posnanski: How Heat won a game of mistakes
- PHT: Can Blackhawks solve Rask in Game 4?
- PFT: Report: Hernandez accused of prior shooting
- CSN: Report: Hernandez 'not ruled out' as suspect
- GTC: Tiger pulls out of AT&T citing elbow issue
- HBT: Biogenesis suspensions still likely coming
- Play Video: Bosh: 'We'll see who hits first'
- Play Video: Clippers, Celtics discussions 'can't be wrong'
- Play Video: Elliot looks ahead to Game 6
- Play Video: The Hype: How much would you pay to punch someone?
- Play Video: If Heat lose, 'all hell will break loose'
- Play Video: Green breaks NBA finals 3-point record