Jul 24, 2012, 12:05 PM EST
Be honest here — if you suddenly you went from relative obscurity to huge international star, a lot of things would go to your head. And the temptations of excess would get the better of many.
What you have to appreciate here is a level of reflection and self-awareness on the part of Jeremy Lin we rarely see from professional athletes, or really any 23-year-old anywhere.
“If I’m being honest, in some ways, yes (Linsanity did get into his head),” Lin told this newspaper. “I fought it every day. But I think subconsciously it had its effect, everyone catering to you. People were saying only good things for so long that when people said negative stuff, it was like, ‘Whoa, what’s going on?’…
“I will always, always have doubters,” Lin said. “But I really want to reach my potential to bring glory to God. That is more motivation than haters and doubters. I want to work just as hard, give just as much, whether or not I have haters.”
Is Lin going to pan out on the court for the Rockets? We’ll see. The ultimate results likely end up being a little yes (especially if they can use him in up-tempo situations and the pick-and-roll surrounded by shooters) and a little no.
But you have to say this for Lin — his head is in the right place to take on the challenge. He’s grounded. And that is going to be a big boost.
- The Extra Pass: A Google goggle revolution dream, plus Wednesday’s recaps 3
- Wednesday night NBA Grades: LaMarcus Aldridge is a flat out stud 5
- Arena evacuated after fire, Spurs-Timberwolves game in Mexico City postponed 13
- Milwaukee police release video, cite Larry Sanders for bar fight 12
- PBT Extra: Focusing on “epic showdown” between Knicks, Nets 6
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (63)
- Report: Dion Waiters accused Kyrie Irving, Tristan Thompson of playing “buddy ball.” (53)
- Michael Beasley finding a role, groove in Miami (41)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (41)
- With game in balance, Jason Kidd tells player to “hit me,” spills drink, gets psuedo timeout to draw up play (40)