Jeremy Lin admits “Linsanity” got into his head, that he will always have haters

Jul 24, 2012, 12:05 PM EDT

Houston Rockets Introduce Jeremy Lin Getty Images

Be honest here — if you suddenly you went from relative obscurity to huge international star, a lot of things would go to your head. And the temptations of excess would get the better of many.

What you have to appreciate here is a level of reflection and self-awareness on the part of Jeremy Lin we rarely see from professional athletes, or really any 23-year-old anywhere.

He opened up to the Mercury News about his sudden rise to fame, and his move this summer from New York to Houston (via SLAM):

“If I’m being honest, in some ways, yes (Linsanity did get into his head),” Lin told this newspaper. “I fought it every day. But I think subconsciously it had its effect, everyone catering to you. People were saying only good things for so long that when people said negative stuff, it was like, ‘Whoa, what’s going on?’…

“I will always, always have doubters,” Lin said. “But I really want to reach my potential to bring glory to God. That is more motivation than haters and doubters. I want to work just as hard, give just as much, whether or not I have haters.”

Is Lin going to pan out on the court for the Rockets? We’ll see. The ultimate results likely end up being a little yes (especially if they can use him in up-tempo situations and the pick-and-roll surrounded by shooters) and a little no.

But you have to say this for Lin — his head is in the right place to take on the challenge. He’s grounded. And that is going to be a big boost.

1. b7p19 - Jul 24, 2012 at 12:12 PM

I’m rooting for Lin and the Rockets. As a Sixers fan, nothing makes me happier than to see him leave NY. Now I can actually enjoy his career.

2. hmax13 - Jul 24, 2012 at 12:24 PM

“if you suddenly you”? I don’t know why I still look up to make sure its Helin every time i read a grammatical error in the first sentence.

3. Mr. Wright 212 - Jul 24, 2012 at 12:29 PM

Haters? Hating on a conniving weasel? Where they do that at?

• scalfor3 - Jul 24, 2012 at 12:35 PM

he’s a conniving weasel because he got a big offer and took it? after the knicks told him they would match whatever offer he got?

hello mr. dolan

• leeeroooyjeeenkiiins - Jul 24, 2012 at 5:38 PM

All 7 thumbs up on his post and all 7 thumbs down on yours probably came from him and his 6 alternate accounts.

• mikeminnc - Jul 24, 2012 at 12:55 PM

So you are saying that if you were Jeremy Lin, you would have passed up that offer?

4. gbsfinest420 - Jul 24, 2012 at 1:06 PM

I used to love carmello anthony cuz hes from bmore… but damm he was acting like a jealous hoe over a teammate getting paid… him and JR smith.. good for Lin to get paid and get out of that mess in NY

5. mannyicey - Jul 24, 2012 at 1:28 PM

I mean, a week or so ago, you’re living in the den of your brother’s house, sleeping on his couch, looking like you’re wasting your life away trying to play basketball. The next week, you’re worldwide, your name is now a big, trending brand and you’re accepting dinner invitations with Kim Kardashian. In less than 6 months, people are at the bargaining table, trying to give you more money than you can spend in your lifetime.

Think about it: You were on your brother’s couch, secretly hating on your brother’s programming job. And you were that guy on the bench that if you left, no one would care. Now, people are angry that you’re leaving New York and it’s one of the bigger stories of the year.

So you don’t think it would go to your head, just a little bit?

• gmen4life33 - Jul 24, 2012 at 1:43 PM

It wasn’t a den, it was an apartment is NYC. His brother was going to nyu. And I’m sure he wasn’t jealous of his bro, he had already made 700k off bein in the NBA and was the first Asian American born player to make it NBA.

The whole couch thing was blown a little out of proportion. He wasn’t doing it because he was a hobo or anything, he was just being smart and saving his money. There are many players in the nba on min non guarnteed contracts, but they chose to spend their money on rent, cars, clothes, jewels. Lin had enough money for own place but was smart enough to realize he should be saving since his future wasn’t guarnteed.

• drunkenjunk - Jul 24, 2012 at 5:19 PM

I would kill to ride the bench for the Knicks. I’m sure it was the other way around, no way a pro athlete is jealous of a computer programmer.

• limonadamas - Jul 24, 2012 at 9:22 PM

Just for the record, he didn’t accept the dinner invite with Kim Kardashian.

6. crali - Jul 24, 2012 at 1:50 PM

No, honestly, I don’t have to appreciate anything about J. Lin going forward, he clearly didn’t appreciate…well, you know where I’m going.

7. diablito0402 - Jul 24, 2012 at 2:00 PM

Ive never seen so many haters for someone getting paid, players like batum getting 44 million and nobody hating on him, thats ridiculus..

• kinggw - Jul 24, 2012 at 2:49 PM

I don’t think anyone begrudges Lin getting paid. Now we could definitely have a debate as to whether or not he actually deserved that payday. That being said my problem with Lin has never been with him. My problem has always been that analysts and so called experts never acknowledge what Linsanity was. It was a winning streak against mostly bad teams, starring Jeremy Lin as the protagonist in a gimmick offense.

After the initial streak when D’Antoni departed, Lin looked very average. People don’t talk about that. The problem when you compare Lin to players like Batum is that there isnt a fair comparison. Batum has put in a few seasons of work and we know what type of player he is. We only have 25 games with which to evaluate Lin. Its hard to call someone a hater when they question paying a guy who hasnt even started a half season’s worth of games.

8. bushido49ers - Jul 24, 2012 at 2:09 PM

Give glory to who? Not another one. [.facepalm]

9. alildusty - Jul 24, 2012 at 3:18 PM

hope his words come from the heart and not just a BS PR launch. Definitely rooting for Lin to continue his success and cement himself as a NBA player rather than a marketing gimmick

10. dysraw1 - Jul 24, 2012 at 6:52 PM

J Lin is a good story anyway you look at it i am truly happy for the kid i know the other points in the league are dying to get at that ass, he could have really benefit if he had i vet to back him up

11. ballerea - Jul 25, 2012 at 10:46 AM

Jeremy lin had above average people money…come it is not that speacial.aint like he was not getting paid.he had lots of money.naw he’s getting over paid. yea he scored couple of points for a few games naw he’s getting millions.this year he proboly would put up 14 points 6 assist

What players stood out at World Cup?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches