Jul 24, 2012, 12:05 PM EDT
Be honest here — if you suddenly you went from relative obscurity to huge international star, a lot of things would go to your head. And the temptations of excess would get the better of many.
What you have to appreciate here is a level of reflection and self-awareness on the part of Jeremy Lin we rarely see from professional athletes, or really any 23-year-old anywhere.
“If I’m being honest, in some ways, yes (Linsanity did get into his head),” Lin told this newspaper. “I fought it every day. But I think subconsciously it had its effect, everyone catering to you. People were saying only good things for so long that when people said negative stuff, it was like, ‘Whoa, what’s going on?’…
“I will always, always have doubters,” Lin said. “But I really want to reach my potential to bring glory to God. That is more motivation than haters and doubters. I want to work just as hard, give just as much, whether or not I have haters.”
Is Lin going to pan out on the court for the Rockets? We’ll see. The ultimate results likely end up being a little yes (especially if they can use him in up-tempo situations and the pick-and-roll surrounded by shooters) and a little no.
But you have to say this for Lin — his head is in the right place to take on the challenge. He’s grounded. And that is going to be a big boost.
- Mike Krzyzewski might coach USA Basketball in 2016 Olympics 0
- George Hill not yet cleared to play for Pacers in Game 6 vs. Knicks, remains a game-time decision 1
- Report: Bobcats changing name back to Hornets 24
- Dwyane Wade grants wish, shows up at girl’s senior prom 20
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson 60
- Live: Preakness Stakes preview show
- PHT: Red Wings even up series with Blackhawks
- PBT: Pacers may not have Hill for Game 6
- Day 1 of Indy 500 Qualifying
- PHT: No surgery needed for Staal after brutal hit
- PFT: Jets' Goodson gets five gun and drug charges
- PFT: Chargers ink Freeney for 2 years, $8.5 million
- Play Video: Grizzlies ready for 'running' Spurs
- Play Video: Durant won't 'compromise himself' like other stars
- Play Video: Knicks avoid elimination
- Play Video: Heat finish off Bulls, James 'has no energy left'
- Play Video: Health woes make Heat vulnerable
- Play Video: Good news for Sacramento, Kings stay