Celtics reach one-year deal to bring back Keyon Dooling

Jul 24, 2012, 9:30 PM EDT

Boston Celtics' Dooling celebrates a teammate's basket against the Miami Heat during Game 3 of their Eastern Conference Finals NBA basketball playoffs in Boston Reuters

Keyon Dooling will be back in Boston.

Dooling didn’t see a ton of court time with the Celtics last year and may see less on a much deeper team, but for one year at the veteran’s minimum this is a good deal for Boston.

Dooling’s agent confirmed the news to A. Sherrod Blakely of CSNNE.com.

“He’s excited to be back,” said Dooling’s agent, Kenge Stevenson. “He loves Doc (Rivers), his teammates. It’s a good situation for him.”

Dooling is another good defender the Celtics can roll out. However, with Rajon Rondo and Avery Bradley starting, then Jason Terry and Courtney Lee coming in behind them, Dooling is not going to play a lot of minutes. So, don’t draft him onto your fantasy team.

But it’s a nice bit of veteran depth for a win-now Boston team.

1. patfic15 - Jul 24, 2012 at 9:53 PM

He hits a lot of 3s on 2k12. That’s about it.

• juanandonly24 - Jul 24, 2012 at 10:54 PM

So does Jimmer!

2. readysethike - Jul 24, 2012 at 10:05 PM

lol @ the first comment

3. bozosforall - Jul 24, 2012 at 10:36 PM

Win now? Too bad they won’t get past either the Heat or the Bulls. Heck, the Sixers might even get past them before the season is over. Boston is one and done…time to wait another twenty five years for one measly title..if that.

• passerby23 - Jul 25, 2012 at 1:24 AM

The Bulls have lost most of their productive bench and Rose is out until March. They are not better than the Celtics. The Sixers – having overachieved in this year’s playoffs – have gotten weaker. The Nets and Wizards have gotten stronger. I predict Philly does not even make the playoffs. You still have to favor the Heat, but Boston is right behind them.

Meanwhile, Dooling is a great sign for the Celtics. He brings veteran leadership, insurance at the PG position, and toughness. They should keep the biannual exception for the trade deadline, which it appears they will.

• bozosforall - Jul 25, 2012 at 11:14 PM

Keep in dreaming, son. The Puh C’s are on their way down.

• passerby23 - Jul 25, 2012 at 11:17 PM

So they didn’t improve this off-season?

• bozosforall - Jul 27, 2012 at 12:34 PM

Not enough to make it to the Finals, nor even past the second round. So, yes, on their way down.

• passerby23 - Jul 27, 2012 at 3:51 PM

So a team that took the Heat to 7 games that just got significantly better is lucky to win one playoff series now?

• bozosforall - Jul 31, 2012 at 11:56 PM

Several other teams also got “significantly better”. The Celtics also get a year older, particularly Pierce and Garnett.

• passerby23 - Aug 1, 2012 at 1:19 AM

Hence why they brought in Lee, drafted Sullinger, re-signed Green, will have Bradley back, and added depth. If they were dragging out the same unit (minus Ray) that they had this year, I would probably agree with you. But, they’re 10-12 deep and should be able to rest their aging players. Also, Jason Terry may be almost 35 but the guy almost never misses games due to injury.

And I’m not sure that many teams got significantly better. Some teams improved, yes, but significantly better? I think only the Lakers, Celtics, and Nets can lay claim to that. Thunder and Spurs basically stood pat. Heat, Knicks, and Clippers are improved. Bulls have slipped and Pacers are about the same. Who’s left of teams that have any legitimate shot at a championship?

• bozosforall - Aug 5, 2012 at 9:55 PM

Sixers will be better as well. Bulls will surprise you. The Celtics will fall short once again.

• passerby23 - Aug 6, 2012 at 1:50 AM

Don’t see how the Sixers improved. They lost their first and second leading scorers, and replaced them with inferior talent. Meanwhile, the rest of the East got better. Like I mentioned before, people’s expectations of a team become wildly inflated due to one playoff run (in their case, beating a depleted Bulls team).

I also don’t see how the Bulls got better (or stayed the same). Jeff Van Gundy predicts they won’t even make the playoffs. I tend to think they will, but it’s Miami, Indiana, Brooklyn, and New York who will challenge the Celtics, not anyone else.

• bozosforall - Aug 7, 2012 at 11:55 PM

The Sixers took your old Celtics to the brink, which is a ehole lot more than just beating a depleted Bulls team…a Bulls team that at full strength would have ousted your old Celtics. The only wildly inflated expectations here are those of delusional Boston fans.

• passerby23 - Aug 8, 2012 at 1:40 AM

First of all, they aren’t “my” Celtics. I’m just making an objective analysis. Second of all, as I mentioned, the Celtics depth has improved dramatically. They blew a game they were up 20 in because they had no depth. They likely would’ve closed the series out in 5.

That aside, you didn’t really answer my points, which is that Boston got younger, deeper, and better, while Philly at best stayed the same and at worst receded out of the playoff picture. What are the magic ingredients which have vaulted the Sixers past Boston THIS season into serious championship contention? Nick Young? Kwame Brown? Can you, with a straight face, call those guys upgrades over Lou Williams and Elton Brand? I’m willing to acknowledge that Lavoy Allen will take a step forward this year and could become a decent player, but I’d be willing to sign on the dotted line that – barring no major injuries to either team – Celtics finish higher and go deeper in the playoffs than Philly.

And I agree with you, a healthy Bulls team would’ve handled Boston. But, a healthy Bulls team also would’ve handled Philly. So what?

• bozosforall - Aug 11, 2012 at 1:43 AM

Bynum just made Philly even better. The Celtics probably won’t even win the Atlantic division now.

• passerby23 - Aug 11, 2012 at 6:40 PM

I agree, Bynum did just make the Sixers better. I still don’t have them winning the Atlantic division. In fact, I don’t think they’ll come within 5 games of Boston. I think this move took them out of the 8th or 9th spot in the East and pushed them past Atlanta around the 6th or 7th spot. I still think Miami, Boston, Indiana, New York, and Brooklyn are all better. Atlanta is in the conversation too.

Remember, they did give up Iguodala (and Williams is gone). Their perimeter defense and scoring got weaker, but their interior scoring and defense just got better. They should be a top rebounding team.

I think it remains to be seen if Bynum has the maturity and work ethic to be the starring role and not second or third fiddle anymore. I’m not saying he can’t, but I’m skeptical he and Doug Collins won’t have a few jawing matches with each other.

• bozosforall - Aug 13, 2012 at 11:00 PM

Evan Turner’s per-36 minute averages in points and boards were higher than Iggy’s last season and he will only get better next season. So will Young, Allen and the rest of the young Sixers. Your prediction will be wy off.

• passerby23 - Aug 15, 2012 at 1:38 AM

It could be way off, I’ve been wrong many times before. There are a lot of questions about Philly and if they put it all together, they could be pretty good. My feeling? I don’t think Turner’s shooting is going to improve that much more. I think Young has sort of reached his ceiling. He’s not a physical player and gets muscled around by bigger 4’s, which can limit where and how you play him. He’s not a 3 either. I wonder if Holliday will progress or whether he’s maxed out his potential. Lots of “if’s”. If I’m a betting man, they’re in the middle or near the bottom of the playoff picture. If I’m wrong come April (assuming no major injuries as I mentioned), we’ll check in with each other and see who has egg on their face.

• bozosforall - Aug 15, 2012 at 9:38 PM

Egg will be on the faces of Celtics fans.

• passerby23 - Aug 16, 2012 at 12:47 AM

And with no humility from you whatsoever, it will be interesting to hear what you have to say if they don’t finish ahead of Boston.

• bozosforall - Aug 16, 2012 at 10:07 PM

I’ll say whatever strikes my fancy at the time. Unlike losers like you, my self-worth isn’t gleaned from the performance of the teams that I root for.

• passerby23 - Aug 16, 2012 at 10:27 PM

So your self-worth is gleaned from what….putting other people down and insulting them for making a basketball prediction? Sounds like a real winner!

• bozosforall - Aug 19, 2012 at 11:49 PM

Hardly, son. My self-worth has nothing to do with this blog whatsoever. Notice that I am hardly here at all, yet the Boston crybabies constantly whine about my accurate observations regarding their choker teams. The joke is on you.

• passerby23 - Aug 20, 2012 at 3:28 PM

The fact that you can’t simply lay out arguments without throwing out baseless insults and emotional attacks tells me your self-worth IS based on things like this. I would also be very skeptical that such behavior is limited to a single basketball blog.

I can’t notice your “accurate observations” when I have no idea what they are or who these “Boston crybabies” are. It seems almost every basketball prognosticator agrees with my predictions (Boston at #2-3 and Philly at #6-7). That doesn’t mean I will be right, only time will tell.

• bozosforall - Sep 2, 2012 at 5:28 PM

Keep on crying, passedby23. Your continued responses only show your gross insecurity with yourself.

• 1historian - Jul 25, 2012 at 6:31 AM

bozo – what team if any do you support? Or are you just happy sitting on the sideline taking cheap shots at any and all?

I am a Celtics fan

• thetruth1313 - Jul 25, 2012 at 7:08 AM

He is a Laker fan, a Yankee fan and an LSU fan…Now, do you see any connections?

• bozosforall - Jul 25, 2012 at 11:13 PM

I’ve been a Laker fan since I started watching NBA basketball. And I’ll take their more recent string of titles over the Puh C’s moldy oldie ones any day, 1 hysterectomy.

4. giselleisasucubus - Jul 25, 2012 at 12:03 AM

Clown, go play on a highway with a blindfold on… One and done….yeah, they have been so insignificant since they won in 08, and yeah, Chicago and the….Sixers (u smoke crack?) are better. Sure they are you f**king moron. I have told you once and I will again- Go the f**k away, people hate you and you are poor excuse for a human being.

5. paulhargis53 - Jul 25, 2012 at 7:01 AM

Bozo is a Lakers fan.Curiously, he never posts on Laker articles anymore. I don’t even think they like him. Is ignore him, he’s just looking for any type of attention.

6. southpaw77 - Jul 25, 2012 at 9:28 AM

Article says Dooling won’t see court time?
    When the last time Rondo’s played a whole season and Bradley is out. I think he’ll see a lot of time, either as a backup to Rondo or starting when Rondo gets dinged and while Bradley recovers from double shoulder surgery.

What players stood out at World Cup?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches