Jul 23, 2012, 1:27 PM EDT
Bradley Beal played well in the Las Vegas Summer League, well enough to make the all Summer League Team and averaged 17.6 points per game.
I saw him a couple times and he had a nice way of letting the game come to him, he was trying to find his range on his shot (30 percent from three, 41 percent overall) but that should come. In all the games he put up nice numbers and played solid to good ball, reading our reports from Scott Schroeder who was in Vegas for all of it for PBT.
It was a nice start, but the Wizards hope to see a more aggressive Beal come the season, according to Michael Lee of the Washington Post.
The most impressive aspect of Beal’s performance was that he never forced the action and let the game to come to him, even if assistant Sam Cassell asked him to be a little more aggressive.
“Honestly, if I feel as though I’m open, coach is going to tell me to shoot it. It’s times I was open and passed and coach got all on my head, so I mean, certain situations, I’m an unselfish player,” Beal said. “I’d rather get somebody else going. I’ll eventually get going myself. That’s just my mentality. But it’s really just staying focused and staying within the flow of the game, actually.”
In Vegas, where Beal was the best player on the floor for the Wizards, they wanted him to be aggressive. But his “let the game come to me” style will fit better next to the aggressive John Wall, who will attack in transition and off picks in the half court. Beal is going to get his looks as he develops a chemistry with Wall.
But there are times they need him to be aggressive, too.
- Hey John Wall/Dion Waiters, Stephen Curry says Warriors have best backcourt. And he’s right. 41
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Charlotte Hornets 5
- Kobe Bryant plans to play in all 8 preseason games for Lakers 11
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Miami Heat 9
- Mike Miller points to him being amnestied as start of LeBron James leaving Miami 15
- Kobe Bryant thinks he could physically play beyond contract extension 14
- Trey Burke, in wake of nude-photo scandal: ‘My judgments will be much better’ 11
- Report: Kevin Durant says he wants to play in 2016 Olympics (his free agent summer) 5