Jul 23, 2012, 8:01 AM EDT
If you only watched the first quarter of this game, you would have thought the United States was on its way to a cakewalk win. Kevin Durant had 27 points, Kobe Bryant 18 and the USA raced out to a 19-3 lead, hitting their first seven shots of the game.
But it’s not that simple for the USA. A team that relies on pressure and athleticism in transition, if you can handle the pressure, grind the game down and make it a half-court affair you have a shot. That’s what Argentina did well and the result was a comeback that made it an 86-80 win.
Here are the highlights.
If I were you, I would tune in Tuesday for Team USA’s biggest test, Spain. The team that beat Argentina by 20 the other day.
- Derrick Rose after first back-to-back in years: “I’m feeling good right now” 1
- Report: Rajon Rondo wants to start season with Celtics, see how things unfold 11
- Rajon Rondo’s agent denies they asked Celtics for a trade 14
- Team USA trails at the half, then pulls away for 98-77 win over Turkey at FIBA World Cup 19
- Report: Nike nearing deal to keep Kevin Durant for next 10 years 21
- Report: Rajon Rondo has told Celtics ‘he wants out’ 68
- World Cup Day 1 roundup: Brazil with big win, Andray Blatche puts on a show 5
- USA cruises past Finland in World Cup opener, 114-55 18