Jul 23, 2012, 12:37 AM EDT
You know Tom Penn as the cap guru and former right hand man of Kevin Pritchard in Portland when they were making smart moves. Or maybe you know him as the ESPN television personality who provided some insights into front office thinking for that network after the Trail Blazers let him go.
Now you may soon know him as the next Sixers general manager, according to Ken Berger of CBSSports.com.
Former Trail Blazers executive Tom Penn is a candidate for the Philadelphia 76ers’ day-to-day general manager position under team president Rod Thorn, league sources told CBSSports.com on Sunday.
One of the league’s top experts on the salary cap and intricacies of the collective bargaining agreement, Penn would be a strong hire for the Sixers as they navigate the new labor deal and how it has dramatically affected payroll and planning strategies. Penn interviewed for the job in recent days, sources said, and was seen with Sixers managing partner Joshua Harris Thursday night at Summer League games in Las Vegas.
This would be a good hire for Philly, a guy who is budget conscious and is better on the player scouting side of the operation than he gets credit for. He’s a perfect guy to step into the team president role and have player specialists under him.
The real question right now is can he work well with coach Doug Collins, who has pushed for more power in the organization.
This summer the Sixers have let leading scorer Lou Williams leave as a free agent, and they amnestied Elton Brand. Both defensible moves. But they have brought in Dorell Wright, Kwame Brown and Nick Young. So, the Sixers didn’t get better this summer (especially with Collins saying Kwame could start).
- Mavericks signing Al-Farouq Aminu to two-year, minimum salary contract 5
- Report: Ballmer’s $2 billion Clippers offer nearly double what Bank of America valued team at 12
- Report: Jameer Nelson near $2.7 million deal to join Dallas Mavericks 13
- Report: Mavericks void Rashard Lewis’ contract after it’s discovered he needs knee surgery 10
- Report: Sixers, Nuggets or Celtics could become third team in Kevin Love trade to Cavaliers 48
- Five biggest surprises from Summer League 13
- Justin Bieber and Kevin Durant share brunch (photo) 22
- Clippers CEO: If Sterling remains owner then Doc Rivers, players, sponsors all ready to bolt 61