Jul 23, 2012, 4:04 PM EDT
Minnesota — the fans, the organization — was done with Michael Beasley. As the Heat had been before. The question was not “can he score” because he averaged 19.2 a game for the Wolves two seasons ago. But he’s a high-volume scorer, he needed 17.1 shots a game to get there. Then there were the locker room distractions and off-the-court concerns that had teams questioning his priorities.
Beasley is getting a new start in Phoenix next season, in an up-tempo system where without Steve Nash there are plenty of shots available. On paper this is a good fit for him.
Beasley at least is saying the right things now, saying he is ready for second (really third) chance, a three-year, $18 million deal. He was on XTRA 910 in Phoenix (via Sports Radio Interviews and SLAM) and said he expects to live up to that lofty No. 2 overall pick status.
And he thinks he can be an All-Star.
“You have to embrace your past. Ultimately it was my fault. I’m here to play basketball and I’m here to work hard and hopefully my next contract will be a little bit bigger to say the least. I’ve been through a lot in my past, some good and some bad and that kind of altered my value. I understand I’ve grown and I’m ready to move on….
“I come into Training Camp with an open mind and realize there are going to be things that I don’t want to do and things that I do. Just have to do them both. Whatever the coach needs from me on both sides of the floor and on and off the court, just have to do it and work hard towards our bigger goal which is winning the ring…
“In my mind I’m going to be an All-Star this coming season. All I want to do is win. Whether I get the recognition for what I do on the floor or not, as long as we’re winning I’m okay with that.”
Nice words. We’re all going to need to see that in action before we really buy in.
- Lakers deny rumor they are waiting around for Doc Rivers to be coach 0
- James Harden: “Dwight and I are the cornerstones of the Rockets. The rest of the guys are role players.” 53
- Mavericks signing Al-Farouq Aminu to two-year, minimum salary contract 11
- Report: Ballmer’s $2 billion Clippers offer nearly double what Bank of America valued team at 15
- Report: Jameer Nelson near $2.7 million deal to join Dallas Mavericks 16
- Report: Mavericks void Rashard Lewis’ contract after it’s discovered he needs knee surgery 13
- Report: Sixers, Nuggets or Celtics could become third team in Kevin Love trade to Cavaliers 48
- Five biggest surprises from Summer League 14