Michael Beasley expects big things from Michael Beasley

Jul 23, 2012, 4:04 PM EDT

Michael Beasley, Mike Dunleavy, Carlos Delfino AP

Minnesota — the fans, the organization — was done with Michael Beasley. As the Heat had been before. The question was not “can he score” because he averaged 19.2 a game for the Wolves two seasons ago. But he’s a high-volume scorer, he needed 17.1 shots a game to get there. Then there were the locker room distractions and off-the-court concerns that had teams questioning his priorities.

Beasley is getting a new start in Phoenix next season, in an up-tempo system where without Steve Nash there are plenty of shots available. On paper this is a good fit for him.

Beasley at least is saying the right things now, saying he is ready for second (really third) chance, a three-year, $18 million deal. He was on XTRA 910 in Phoenix (via Sports Radio Interviews and SLAM) and said he expects to live up to that lofty No. 2 overall pick status.

And he thinks he can be an All-Star.

“You have to embrace your past. Ultimately it was my fault. I’m here to play basketball and I’m here to work hard and hopefully my next contract will be a little bit bigger to say the least. I’ve been through a lot in my past, some good and some bad and that kind of altered my value. I understand I’ve grown and I’m ready to move on….

“I come into Training Camp with an open mind and realize there are going to be things that I don’t want to do and things that I do. Just have to do them both. Whatever the coach needs from me on both sides of the floor and on and off the court, just have to do it and work hard towards our bigger goal which is winning the ring…

“In my mind I’m going to be an All-Star this coming season. All I want to do is win. Whether I get the recognition for what I do on the floor or not, as long as we’re winning I’m okay with that.”

Nice words. We’re all going to need to see that in action before we really buy in.

1. cbking05 - Jul 23, 2012 at 4:37 PM

His Jumper has been flat…if he can just get HIGH on his shot, I dont see why he wouldn’t be an all star

2. lakerluver - Jul 23, 2012 at 5:02 PM

He obviously has all the skills to be an All-Star. If he has his head on straight Phoenix could be getting a steal.

3. omie34 - Jul 23, 2012 at 5:29 PM

I agree he could be a steal. I like wat pheonix has done also picking up dragic and scola and drafting that young point guard. Probably not a playoff team but they’ll be fun. Seems like alot of teams are in that same boat like minnesota houston and golden state

4. 91devinhester23 - Jul 23, 2012 at 5:43 PM

“my bad I thought it was my own knee”

5. beanengelby - Jul 23, 2012 at 6:15 PM

I hope so we need . He was a beast at k state time to show up!

6. dlhouse18 - Jul 23, 2012 at 6:39 PM

This is a bad move for Phoenix who looks to start rebuilding after Nash’s departure and would have been anyway. Not only did the Suns overpay, but Beasley is the last person you want around a young group of players. I think he had a big negative impact on Wes Johnson’s development and is not going to change. We have been hearing for years about how Beasley was now basketball first with the Timberwolves. The fact of the matter is he never will be and won’t grow up. Michael Beasley has always been about Michael Beasley and not any team. You really can’t fault him though. Why should he change when teams are still going to pay him 6 million/year?

7. lakerluver - Jul 23, 2012 at 8:57 PM

Dude, when was the last time Beasley was in the news for anything negative? In case you don’t know people can, and often do, change. 6 mill for a guy who might give Phoenix 20 and 8 (my prediction)? I don’t think they overpaid, I think in the end this deal will be a steal. You do realize that Beasley’s still a very young player himself, right? I’m not even a fan of his but I sure wish the LAKERS had signed him. Maybe they felt the same way you do? We shall see.

• muhangis - Jul 25, 2012 at 6:15 PM

As a Laker fan, I wish we signed him too. He is not expensive, though still young and pretty efficient. Ppl want to judge him based on what everyone else will say!

8. Justin - Jul 23, 2012 at 10:38 PM

People can say what they want about his skills. He has loads of talent without a doubt. The problem he mainly faced here in Minnesota (besides when he hit a fan at a pick up game during the lockout) was that he lacks quality work ethic and anything close to an attention span. You’ll find it out soon enough Phoenix.

Just when you are ready to fully give up on him he’ll come out and put together a game scoring 42 and the torture starts all over again.

9. skinsfanwill - Jul 24, 2012 at 2:10 AM

His biggest problem is that he is uncoachable. He thinks he is already an all star when he should be working on his game in order to actually be one. I’m just glad Miami got rid of his lazy azz fairly quickly. Whatever meds he is on is affecting his work ethic. Talent aside, he is an azzhole to everyone. When has he played even close to an entire season. He doesn’t take care of his body or work hard to recover from injuries. He will miss half the season next year. I’m calling it right now.

10. shanelsweet - Jul 24, 2012 at 2:39 AM

Hey Justin. I feel your pain. As a Wizards fan, your comment is exactly how I feel about Javale McGee and his new team in Denver. He’s getting $11M a year from them and “he lacks quality work ethic and anything close to an attention span”. Good luck with that, Denver.

11. muhangis - Jul 25, 2012 at 6:11 PM

Wise words from Beasley. He has always had the talent, his production has been under-rated, he just needs to stay on the hard work path.

12. wiLQ - Jul 26, 2012 at 7:34 AM

Don’t expect too much because he will be AGAIN put in a position to fail:

Will LeBron get booed Christmas Day in Miami?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches