Jul 23, 2012, 5:56 PM EDT
It’s the problem Team USA faces — they are judged as much on style points as wins and losses. So far they are 4-0 in preseason games, but because Brazil led after one quarter and Argentina lost 86-80 — two teams with big front lines playing into a weakness of the U.S. squad — they have not been convincing enough to make American fans comfortable.
Because we all know a very good Spanish side — with Pau Gasol, Mark Gasol, Serge Ibaka, Jose Calderon, Rudy Fernandez and more talent on a team that has largely played together for a decade — is looming. They play a friendly on Tuesday where both sides will hold back what they think will work best, because it’s all about the gold medal game we expect from the two teams in London.
The one team in a good place to make a call is Argentina — they lost by 20 to Spain before taking on the USA. And here is what Andres Nocioni said Sunday after the USA game, via basquetplus.com and The Big Lead.
“The U.S. team will have to work very hard for the gold medal and I’m not so sure they will get it.”
Anyone actually disagree with that?
Well, I disagree with the gold medal part, but not the general sentiment.
I said that after Sunday’s game the close game with Argentina showed there are a few teams — France, Argentina, maybe Russia — who can push the USA and beat them maybe once in a seven game series. Especially with a USA that plays an aggressive, pressure style of game that some teams have the talent to adjust to and grind down. Spain is another animal, they wouldn’t win a seven game series against the USA but they might force it to a Game 6.
And in a one-and-done playoff or gold medal game, that makes these teams dangerous. It will take a focused USA to get the gold. It will take Kevin Durant scoring, LeBron bringing his all-around game and Tyson Chandler staying on the court (the USA’s +/- is dramatically better when he is in the game).
You can’t take too much from the USA’s Olympic tune-ups, even Tuesday’s showdown with Spain in Barcelona. Right now coach Mike Krzyzewski is playing around with lineups and experimenting, as he should. Nothing the team does really matters until June 29 against France.
But the one lesson we can learn is that it will not be easy. Not at all.
- Shaq tells Suzy Shuster he, Kobe Bryant could have tied Jordan’s six titles 28
- Dwight Howard tried to take loaded gun through airport security, will not face charges 44
- Will Miami make a run at Kevin Durant? 17
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 7
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 10
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18
- D’Angelo Russell on Tracy McGrady tweet: “Some Lakers fans are spoiled” 28
- Anthony Davis “definitely” plans on shooting more threes this season 4