Jul 23, 2012, 11:22 PM EDT
And our Dwightmare continues, and likely will for a couple more weeks.
The latest update — which is really a leaked negotiating tactic — comes from Chris Broussard at ESPN.com.
The Orlando Magic have told rival executives that they might not trade Dwight Howard after all, according to league sources.
An executive who has had discussions with the Magic regarding Howard said Orlando only will trade the star center in a deal that is great for the franchise. The executive said this has been Orlando’s stance for the past “week or so.”
If you are trying to maintain leverage and you feel negotiations have stalled, that is exactly what you would say. And leak.
If you are one of the teams involved in talks for Howard and don’t buy into this, the bluff you’d be calling is this: Do you think the Magic organization would be willing to really go through training camp and the media circus every game would be with Howard on the roster just to get a slightly better deal? Because honestly, the deals are not going to start getting better. James Dolan is not coming to the Magic’s rescue. No, the closer to the trade deadline it gets, the more lowball the offers become.
The only trades known on the table are the Rockets mix of picks and young players, plus salary cap relief; and the three-way with Cavaliers and the Lakers that sends Howard to Los Angeles, Andrew Bynum to Cleveland and Anderson Varejao and picks to the Magic. Clearly none of these deals has been good enough to get Orlando to pull the trigger.
The buzz out of Los Angeles and Cleveland and Houston calls everything in a “holding pattern.” Basically, the Magic are willing to wait a few weeks or months to get a better deal. There are other reports they want to make a deal in early August or not long after the Olympics end.
But this is the latest update, that the Magic are saying they don’t need to make a deal.
- Report: Kevin Durant considering Knicks, being recruited by Carmelo Anthony 40
- Markieff Morris: “My future will not be in Phoenix” 33
- Shaq tells Suzy Shuster he, Kobe Bryant could have tied Jordan’s six titles 33
- Dwight Howard tried to take loaded gun through airport security, will not face charges 52
- Will Miami make a run at Kevin Durant? 17
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 7
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 10
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18