Jul 23, 2012, 11:22 PM EDT
And our Dwightmare continues, and likely will for a couple more weeks.
The latest update — which is really a leaked negotiating tactic — comes from Chris Broussard at ESPN.com.
The Orlando Magic have told rival executives that they might not trade Dwight Howard after all, according to league sources.
An executive who has had discussions with the Magic regarding Howard said Orlando only will trade the star center in a deal that is great for the franchise. The executive said this has been Orlando’s stance for the past “week or so.”
If you are trying to maintain leverage and you feel negotiations have stalled, that is exactly what you would say. And leak.
If you are one of the teams involved in talks for Howard and don’t buy into this, the bluff you’d be calling is this: Do you think the Magic organization would be willing to really go through training camp and the media circus every game would be with Howard on the roster just to get a slightly better deal? Because honestly, the deals are not going to start getting better. James Dolan is not coming to the Magic’s rescue. No, the closer to the trade deadline it gets, the more lowball the offers become.
The only trades known on the table are the Rockets mix of picks and young players, plus salary cap relief; and the three-way with Cavaliers and the Lakers that sends Howard to Los Angeles, Andrew Bynum to Cleveland and Anderson Varejao and picks to the Magic. Clearly none of these deals has been good enough to get Orlando to pull the trigger.
The buzz out of Los Angeles and Cleveland and Houston calls everything in a “holding pattern.” Basically, the Magic are willing to wait a few weeks or months to get a better deal. There are other reports they want to make a deal in early August or not long after the Olympics end.
But this is the latest update, that the Magic are saying they don’t need to make a deal.
- Preview: Pacers must take back paint to even series with Heat 4
- Celtics deny Nets permission to speak with head coach Doc Rivers 5
- PBT Extra: Talking Heat/Pacers, and why Indy might be optimistic 12
- If Phil Jackson could have any player to start a team it would be… Bill Russell 54
- LeBron, Durant, Kobe headline All NBA First Team 35
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (124)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (93)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (81)
- Bradley Beal said he’d lose respect for a teammate who acted like Derrick Rose (71)
- LeBron’s triple-double, game-winner in overtime lead Heat to Game 1 win over Pacers (65)
- Tiger, LeBron and bids to be the best that ever lived
- PHT: Senators fight for playoff lives in Game 5
- HBT: A-Rod sells Miami home for $30 million
- PST: Key battles for Champions League final
- Struggling Blackhawks on brink of elimination
- PHT: Wings push Blackhawks to brink | Highlights
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights