Jul 22, 2012, 11:17 AM EDT
Brandon Roy‘s trip back to basketball relevance is a process. It won’t come over night and its apex is somewhere dramatically short of the career ceiling he had as an NBA star, which would have included the Hall of Fame. Now it’s more “capable role player who can contribute,” but there are still steps to take. And Saturday night, Roy took one.
Roy appeared in the Jamal Crawford Pro-Am in Seattle and Kevin Pelton of Basketball Prospectus wrote about it for Blazers Edge:
Again, the setting makes it difficult to offer definitive conclusions. I would have liked to see more of Roy and Webster matched up against one another to get a sense for a matchup Roy might actually see in the NBA. This being the summer, defense is optional, and both teams poured in better than 110 points as Roy’s Bulls pulled away with a 14-1 run midway through the fourth quarter. I’d estimate Roy probably finished with somewhere around 25 points, 10 boards and five assists; Thomas might have scored 35 points.
As limited as Saturday may have been from a scouting perspective, it was great to see Roy on the court again. His apparent early retirement was painful both because of the joy the game brought him and the joy his game brought all of us. On Saturday, we saw just a little bit of it again.
And here’s video of the game including some of Roy’s ability to dart inside and finish at the rim.
He’s got a long ways to go, obviously. The legs are going to take time getting back to game-condition and even then, you have to hope they can structurally maintain for a full season with the Wolves. But Roy can still cook. That’s good to see.
That’s really good to see.
- Mavericks signing Al-Farouq Aminu to two-year, minimum salary contract 0
- Report: Ballmer’s $2 billion Clippers offer nearly double what Bank of America valued team at 5
- Report: Jameer Nelson near $2.7 million deal to join Dallas Mavericks 11
- Report: Mavericks void Rashard Lewis’ contract after it’s discovered he needs knee surgery 9
- Report: Sixers, Nuggets or Celtics could become third team in Kevin Love trade to Cavaliers 45
- Five biggest surprises from Summer League 13
- Justin Bieber and Kevin Durant share brunch (photo) 22
- Clippers CEO: If Sterling remains owner then Doc Rivers, players, sponsors all ready to bolt 60