Jul 22, 2012, 11:17 AM EDT
Brandon Roy‘s trip back to basketball relevance is a process. It won’t come over night and its apex is somewhere dramatically short of the career ceiling he had as an NBA star, which would have included the Hall of Fame. Now it’s more “capable role player who can contribute,” but there are still steps to take. And Saturday night, Roy took one.
Roy appeared in the Jamal Crawford Pro-Am in Seattle and Kevin Pelton of Basketball Prospectus wrote about it for Blazers Edge:
Again, the setting makes it difficult to offer definitive conclusions. I would have liked to see more of Roy and Webster matched up against one another to get a sense for a matchup Roy might actually see in the NBA. This being the summer, defense is optional, and both teams poured in better than 110 points as Roy’s Bulls pulled away with a 14-1 run midway through the fourth quarter. I’d estimate Roy probably finished with somewhere around 25 points, 10 boards and five assists; Thomas might have scored 35 points.
As limited as Saturday may have been from a scouting perspective, it was great to see Roy on the court again. His apparent early retirement was painful both because of the joy the game brought him and the joy his game brought all of us. On Saturday, we saw just a little bit of it again.
And here’s video of the game including some of Roy’s ability to dart inside and finish at the rim.
He’s got a long ways to go, obviously. The legs are going to take time getting back to game-condition and even then, you have to hope they can structurally maintain for a full season with the Wolves. But Roy can still cook. That’s good to see.
That’s really good to see.
- Steve Nash to miss entire 2014-15 season with ongoing back injuries 27
- Jeanie Buss: ‘Any free agent that would be afraid to play with Kobe Bryant is probably a loser’ 52
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Memphis Grizzlies 7
- Five top candidates for NBA Rookie of the Year 30
- NBA GMs surveyed predict LeBron will win MVP, Spurs will repeat as champions 31
- Owners vote down NBA Draft lottery reform, system to stay same for this season 47
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 preview: Houston Rockets 26
- Kobe Bryant responds to ESPN article with basically a shrug (VIDEO) 22