Jul 22, 2012, 9:00 PM EDT
The Orlando Sentinel reports that the search for the next Orlando Magic head coach is down to three candidates:
Magic general manager Rob Hennigan conducted first-round interviews with six candidates and whittled the field down to three: Philadelphia 76ers associate head coach Michael Curry, Phoenix Suns player development coach Lindsey Hunter and (Spurs assistant coach) Jacque Vaughn.
Martins was going to conduct the second-round interviews and then narrow the list to one or two finalists for meetings with the DeVos family.
The Sentinel also reports that Hennigan has already interviewed Vaughn a second time. Vaughn was absent from coaching the Spurs’ second-to-last summer league game in conspicuous manner, leading to speculation he had already been granted the job.
Vaughn hasn’t been on any of the major lists of candidates prior to Hennigan’s interest in him for the Orlando gig. Curry and Hunter have been discussed before. The trend is consistent with Orlando’s search for a player’s coach, with Vaughn, Curry, and Hunter all former players.
One thing’s certain. Shaq is not a fan.
Orlando magic is about to hire jock Vaugh over mike Malone or Brian shaw are u kidding me, wow, good luck winning wit Dat team Dwite howard
— SHAQ (@SHAQ) July 22, 2012
It’s the awesome spelling that really makes that tweet art.
- Report: Phil Jackson expected to finalize contract with Knicks by end of week 0
- The Extra Pass: Gerald Green doesn’t regret moment of his winding journey to NBA stardom 4
- Monday NBA grades: Blake Griffin shows off his jumper (and yes, he can still dunk) 4
- Suns’ P.J. Tucker ejected after elbow thrown to Blake Griffin’s head (VIDEO) 12
- Report: Phil Jackson’s camp doesn’t believe agreement with Knicks is close 11