Jul 22, 2012, 2:30 PM EDT
The 33-year-old Collins appeared in just 30 games last season for the Atlanta Hawks. Billed as the “Dwight Stopper,” Collins isn’t an elite defender but among veteran centers, he’s nothing to sneeze at. He’s able to maintain position and body even players of Howard’s size and while he brings nothing to the table offensively, he’s still a significant upgrade for the Celtics at center.
If Fab Melo proves unready for the NBA game, which is more than a small probability at this point, it allows the Celtics to send him for seasoning in the D-League without having to play Kevin Garnett exclusively at center. It’s not going to make a huge difference, but with Greg Stiemsma signing with the Minnesota Timberwolves, this helps with Boston keeping a stable bench rotation and gives them someone in case Dwight Howard crosses their paths in the playoffs for some reason.
The Celtics’ bench was a major issue last year but looks to be much improved next season, not just with Melo and Jared Sullinger, but Jason Terry (despite the loss of Ray Allen), Brandon Bass returning, and Jeff Green coming back. A front-heavy team has a better reserve system. One more run for the old guys.
- Report: Derrick Rose undecided about attending Team USA minicamp 6
- Report: Pacers planning to purchase D-League’s Fort Wayne Mad Ants 2
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott told police after arrest all drugs in car were his 17
- NBA lands in Africa trying to put down roots, which is all about youth programs, infrastructure 1
- Report: Kings expected to hire Nancy Lieberman as assistant coach 9
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott arrested for felony drug possession 16
- Gilbert Arenas on LeBron James: “James isn’t a #1 option..and yes I (didn’t stutter)” 48
- Report: Veteran point guard Andre Miller reaches one-year deal with Timberwolves 10