Jul 22, 2012, 2:30 PM EDT
The 33-year-old Collins appeared in just 30 games last season for the Atlanta Hawks. Billed as the “Dwight Stopper,” Collins isn’t an elite defender but among veteran centers, he’s nothing to sneeze at. He’s able to maintain position and body even players of Howard’s size and while he brings nothing to the table offensively, he’s still a significant upgrade for the Celtics at center.
If Fab Melo proves unready for the NBA game, which is more than a small probability at this point, it allows the Celtics to send him for seasoning in the D-League without having to play Kevin Garnett exclusively at center. It’s not going to make a huge difference, but with Greg Stiemsma signing with the Minnesota Timberwolves, this helps with Boston keeping a stable bench rotation and gives them someone in case Dwight Howard crosses their paths in the playoffs for some reason.
The Celtics’ bench was a major issue last year but looks to be much improved next season, not just with Melo and Jared Sullinger, but Jason Terry (despite the loss of Ray Allen), Brandon Bass returning, and Jeff Green coming back. A front-heavy team has a better reserve system. One more run for the old guys.
- LeBron James: “(The Bulls) are a team that’s much better than us right now just off chemistry” 6
- Has Kobe Bryant cost the Lakers Dwight Howard, Carmelo Anthony, Paul George and others? 24
- Five favorites to win NBA 2014-15 MVP 12
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 preview: San Antonio Spurs 4
- NBA’s 44-minute game clocks in at under 2 hours, players barely notice (VIDEO) 1
- Nets coach Hollins on 44-minute game: ‘The change will be for the guys who don’t start’ 10
- Spurs’ Gregg Popovich fires back at Suns owner’s apology: ‘I’m just surprised he didn’t do it in a chicken suit’ 7
- Blake Griffin goes after Trevor Booker following flagrant foul, says he may retaliate in the future (VIDEO) 31