Jul 22, 2012, 2:30 PM EDT
The 33-year-old Collins appeared in just 30 games last season for the Atlanta Hawks. Billed as the “Dwight Stopper,” Collins isn’t an elite defender but among veteran centers, he’s nothing to sneeze at. He’s able to maintain position and body even players of Howard’s size and while he brings nothing to the table offensively, he’s still a significant upgrade for the Celtics at center.
If Fab Melo proves unready for the NBA game, which is more than a small probability at this point, it allows the Celtics to send him for seasoning in the D-League without having to play Kevin Garnett exclusively at center. It’s not going to make a huge difference, but with Greg Stiemsma signing with the Minnesota Timberwolves, this helps with Boston keeping a stable bench rotation and gives them someone in case Dwight Howard crosses their paths in the playoffs for some reason.
The Celtics’ bench was a major issue last year but looks to be much improved next season, not just with Melo and Jared Sullinger, but Jason Terry (despite the loss of Ray Allen), Brandon Bass returning, and Jeff Green coming back. A front-heavy team has a better reserve system. One more run for the old guys.
- Preview: Did Grizzlies figure out Spurs or will Game 3 be more of the same? 0
- George Hill says only God is scarier to face than LeBron James 18
- LeBron James commits two costly turnovers in final minute of Game 2 loss to Pacers 21
- Pacers find their offense, find balance, find Heat’s respect 17
- Pacers get big games from Roy Hibbert and Paul George, take Game 2 from Heat to even the series 27
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (124)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (83)
- LeBron’s triple-double, game-winner in overtime lead Heat to Game 1 win over Pacers (70)
- Pacers advance to the Eastern Conference Finals with Game 6 win over Knicks (61)
- If Phil Jackson could have any player to start a team it would be… Bill Russell (61)
- LIVE: Bruins-Rangers, Game 5
- PST: Bayern Munich beats Dortmund, wins Champions League
- PBT: Pacers' Hill: Only God scarier than LeBron
- Hundreds run Boston Marathon's final mile
- MST Monaco GP predictions: Mercedes' time?
- PHT: Brassard says Marchand shows no respect
- PST: Neymar reportedly set to join Barcelona