Jul 21, 2012, 7:00 PM EDT
There’s this Eddie Izzard bit I love, where he says his counselor asked him “What do you want to do, kid, what do you want to do?” and Izzard replies that he wants to be an astronaut.
The counselor says “Look, kid, you’re British, so scale it down a bit.”
That’s kind of what this offseason has been about for the Wolves. No more lofty aspirations of radically altering the team. Nicolas Batum was a cute game and a noble effort at forcing the Blazers off their RFA-rights stump, but it wasn’t ever going to actually work. But other than that, it’s been Brandon Roy in a comeback attempt, Chase Budinger in a nice little little upgrade at the wing, and now they’ve added Greg Stiemsma, via the AP.
Stiemsma was a nice bench defense guy for Boston who double-served as “that guy that fans love because he plays hard for ten minutes, is big, strange looking (NOTE: I am also strange looking, it’s a noble attribute), and isn’t on the floor long enough for you to be angry at what he can’t do.” Kind of a Scalabrine-who-actually-can-make-an-impact type. And now he comes back to the Midwest, being a Wisconsin native.
It’s a nice upgrade from Darko, as Roy is a nice upgrade from Wayne Ellington, and Dante Cunningham is a nice upgrade on Michael Beasley or whatever they had on the wing last year, along with Budinger. The Wolves aren’t trying to shoot for the moon anymore. They’re just making good additions to a good team that’s on the rise.
No big splashy moves. They’re the Timberwolves, so they scaled it down a bit. But that doesn’t mean they can’t make smart moves to improve the team. Stiemsma’s one of those.
- Coach K had DeMarcus Cousins as USA’s backup big long before final cuts 5
- World Cup preview: No Durant, no problem USA still one of two teams with legit shot to win gold 6
- Cavaliers sold Kyrie Irving on contract extension with LeBron James-Kevin Love plan 34
- Kevin Love says Timberwolves owner should focus on his own team following trade to Cavaliers 35
- Iman Shumpert excited to play in triangle offense because he won’t just have to stand in the corner 9
- Timberwolves owner: Kevin Love might regret trade because he’ll be third banana with Cavaliers 48
- Anthony Davis and Kenneth Faried lead Team USA in final World Cup tune-up 20
- Thunder trade Hasheem Thabeet to 76ers 37