Jul 21, 2012, 7:00 PM EDT
There’s this Eddie Izzard bit I love, where he says his counselor asked him “What do you want to do, kid, what do you want to do?” and Izzard replies that he wants to be an astronaut.
The counselor says “Look, kid, you’re British, so scale it down a bit.”
That’s kind of what this offseason has been about for the Wolves. No more lofty aspirations of radically altering the team. Nicolas Batum was a cute game and a noble effort at forcing the Blazers off their RFA-rights stump, but it wasn’t ever going to actually work. But other than that, it’s been Brandon Roy in a comeback attempt, Chase Budinger in a nice little little upgrade at the wing, and now they’ve added Greg Stiemsma, via the AP.
Stiemsma was a nice bench defense guy for Boston who double-served as “that guy that fans love because he plays hard for ten minutes, is big, strange looking (NOTE: I am also strange looking, it’s a noble attribute), and isn’t on the floor long enough for you to be angry at what he can’t do.” Kind of a Scalabrine-who-actually-can-make-an-impact type. And now he comes back to the Midwest, being a Wisconsin native.
It’s a nice upgrade from Darko, as Roy is a nice upgrade from Wayne Ellington, and Dante Cunningham is a nice upgrade on Michael Beasley or whatever they had on the wing last year, along with Budinger. The Wolves aren’t trying to shoot for the moon anymore. They’re just making good additions to a good team that’s on the rise.
No big splashy moves. They’re the Timberwolves, so they scaled it down a bit. But that doesn’t mean they can’t make smart moves to improve the team. Stiemsma’s one of those.
- Anthony Davis says James Harden should be MVP 9
- Stop judging J.J. Redick by his Duke days if you haven’t already 4
- Thunder say Kevin Durant underwent successful bone graft surgery, will return in 4-6 months 4
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Monday: DeMar DeRozan went Harden on Harden 12
- Derrick Rose returns to full-contact practice, Bulls return date still unknown 13
- Report: Sacramento consultant Chris Mullin to take St. John’s head coaching job 4
- PBT Extra: Taking twitter questions on Clippers, Michael Carter-Williams, more 7
- PBT’s NBA Power Rankings: Cream rising to top as playoffs near 28