Report: Dwight Howard could be traded by early August. (This is us not holding our breath.)

Jul 21, 2012, 5:00 PM EDT

Dwight Howard AP

Sam Amick of SI.com reports that there are indications the Magic could trade Dwight Howard sometime soon, maybe. I can hear your waiting with baited breath from here. From Amick:

…the Magic, I’m told, are hopeful that they can pull the trigger on a deal by early August (although I certainly couldn’t tell you which one it might be). That being said, new GM Rob Hennigan – who I had the pleasure of meeting for the first time in Vegas – is proving to be very prudent in this process, meaning those hopes won’t be realized if the deal simply isn’t up to his standard’s (sic).

via Sam Amick’s post on Basketball | Latest updates on Sulia.

I know, I know. What a non-update, right?

Here’s the deal. Until Howard gets moved, we’re in this holding pattern. And it’s relevant from the perspective that it’s crucial to know if the Magic consider opening night their deadline, start of training camp, or early August to give themselves time to cleanse the palate of this gross affair. So we could be looking at the last two weeks of this drawn out cluster flocking of bad news birds that has marred this ugly episode.

Let’s all join hands and pray to whatever we pray to that this is, in fact, the end.

1. scratchnsniffnblog - Jul 21, 2012 at 9:23 PM

“I can hear your waiting with baited breath from here.”

I can hear you waiting with bated breath from here.

Sincerely,

Your non-existent editor

• cornbreadbbqred - Jul 22, 2012 at 3:34 PM

Hey, if you go fishing and eat your bait for lunch, does that qualify as baited breath?

2. lakerdownunder - Jul 21, 2012 at 10:09 PM

As much as he’s jerked everyone around for, like, forever, he is no longer what is holding up the final act of the circus. The decision on when to trade, to whom, and to get what in return is squarely in the hands on Orlando management

• cornbreadbbqred - Jul 22, 2012 at 3:38 PM

Say, if Lamar invited Dwight onto his reality show, would Lamar admit that Khloe gave him baited breath?

• distantrhythm - Jul 23, 2012 at 9:34 PM

Also in Bynum’s hands if D12 does the Lakers/Cleveland deal, he would also have to agree to an extension.

3. dolphins4 - Jul 21, 2012 at 10:10 PM

Dwight Howard is a head case if I were other NBA teams I wouldn’t even want him .If Orlando is smart they’ll trade him for whatever they can get instead of letting him walk without getting anything for him.

4. mrlitl - Jul 21, 2012 at 10:22 PM

Actually scratchnsniff, Kurt had it right on that one. Your modifies waiting.

5. chex1868 - Jul 22, 2012 at 12:43 AM

Dwight Schrutte would kick Howard’s ass.

6. papichulo55 - Jul 22, 2012 at 12:47 AM

Kurt, I respectfully disagree. I dont think Bob Ryan and Woody Paige become subserviant to their readers. I believe that they show their true devotion to sport by writing what THEY feel is the best news of the day.

Kurt, I know you are a true sports junkie. I really would like read what YOU think. Stop counting clicks, dude!

7. diablito0402 - Jul 22, 2012 at 2:33 AM

Congrats Kurt, no typing mistakes on your comment.. Unlike your stories Lol..

8. 1historian - Jul 22, 2012 at 7:37 AM

“This is us not holding our breath.”

ok

“This is me not giving a s..t!”

9. cornbreadbbqred - Jul 22, 2012 at 3:31 PM

Dwight Howard’s mouth is his own worst enemy. How in the hell would any astute business man with hundreds of millions of dollars and huge fan bases in the balance not consider his demonstrated fickle nature in making a decision. You have to appreciate how Bynum seems Aristotlean by age comparison. I think I can be okay with Drew along. I hope Bynums busts Howard up with double digit blocks next time they meet.

10. cornbreadbbqred - Jul 22, 2012 at 3:32 PM

Dwight Howard’s mouth is his own worst enemy. How in the hell would any astute business man with hundreds of millions of dollars and huge fan bases in the balance not consider his demonstrated fickle nature in making a decision. You have to appreciate how Bynum seems Aristotlean by age comparison. I think I can be okay with Drew along. I hope Bynums busts Howard up with double digit blocks next time they meet!

11. eaglestrike1 - Jul 23, 2012 at 4:13 PM

Can’t blame neither for not signing extensions, they are looking for the max contract. If they sign extensions that just shortens everything by one more year. However, Howard wants to play elsewhere, so be it. Bynum is still young and still rising. I believe he is the prize possession that is now a non issue due to Jamison’s and J. Hill’s addition to the squad. Bynum is on the verge of becoming an elite big man at just 24 years of age. It’s been a long process due to knee problems which seemed to have improved vastly last season., but D12 has back problems. We don’t need Nash and Howard with back problems. Howard is playing the market too much and basically exploiting it now. There is a reason the Nets decided to forego acquiring him. M. Kupcheck and Jim Buss have done an outstanding job thus far. Keep up the good work, because I see another ring/trophy(s) being added to the showcase. I’m still ticked off by Stern’s BS decision on CP3.

Will LeBron get booed Christmas Day in Miami?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches