Jul 21, 2012, 12:59 PM EDT
Calling what happened in Aurora, Colorado, a tragedy in some ways dignifies it too much. What happened was murder. It was evil.
The Nuggets are part of the Denver community sickened by the shootings at a movie theater 15 minutes outside the city that left a dozen dead and more than 70 injured. Even their Summer League team continuing to play in Las Vegas. It’s a team made up mostly of guys who will not be on the Denver roster come this fall, but they felt they needed to something.
So the team decided to wear black headbands for their Friday game, Kenneth Faried told NBA.com.
“We talked about it,” said Faried, the starting power forward last season as the Nuggets pushed the Lakers to seven games in the first round before losing. “It was tragic. It was just terrible for anybody. Even though we don’t live in Colorado, we represent the Denver Nuggets. We’re not from there, but guys still support it….
“We gave prayers and blessings out to the families,” Faried said after the 95-82 loss to the Trail Blazers at Cox Pavilion, “and we wished the best for everybody.”
That’s all any of us can do right now.
- If Phil Jackson could have any player to start a team it would be… Bill Russell 0
- LeBron, Durant, Kobe headline All NBA First Team 14
- It’s official: Krzyzewski back to coach Team USA through Rio Olympics 1
- Hibbert said he will speak up in future, demand to be in game at end 11
- Chris Andersen complements Heat’s Big Three so well 26
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (122)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (89)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (76)
- Bradley Beal said he’d lose respect for a teammate who acted like Derrick Rose (67)
- Pacers advance to the Eastern Conference Finals with Game 6 win over Knicks (60)
- Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- Tebow fact: He reminds Chuck Norris of Chuck Norris
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1
- HBT: Astros vendor fired after taking food into bathroom
- PHT: Avs name Hall of Famer Roy as head coach
- Pens overwhelm Sens, take 3-1 series lead
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful