Ben Wallace “50/50” on returning to Pistons or retiring

Jul 21, 2012, 9:03 PM EDT

Ben Wallace, Jordan Williams AP

The Pistons are going young and they are hoping that just drafted Andre Drummond can live up to the hype and be at the heart of that movement.

But should the Pistons bring back Ben Wallace for an 18th season as a mentor? Does Wallace want to do that, or does he want to retire and just drive around in his batman car.

Both sides are weighing their options. Wallace is on the fence and is at the annual Summer League he hosts in Virginia. There he spoke with local television station WTVR and the Detroit Free Press had this from the interview.

Speaking with Richmond, Va., TV station WTVR, he said he is “50-50″ about returning to the Pistons. According to the report, Wallace was preparing to participate in a summer league he sponsors, and he indicated his performance would help him decide.

“I’ll be out here,” Wallace said. “How much of a player (he still is) remains to be seen.”

Wallace’s production has fallen off the last couple years in Detroit. He played 15 minutes a game for them last season and averaged 1.4 points and 4.3 rebounds a game with a PER of 10.7. His defense has slipped, too. What minutes he did get last season will go to Drummond and second-round pick Khris Middleton.

So do the Pistons want to pay Wallace to come back and be Crash Davis for a season, or do they just go young and let them learn lessons the hard way? Does Wallace want to come back?

We will find out soon enough.

1. trybe29dr - Jul 21, 2012 at 9:10 PM

is there a difference?

2. acdc363 - Jul 21, 2012 at 9:50 PM

LOL

3. geraldthecat - Jul 21, 2012 at 10:10 PM

Yes there is. Count the offseason arrests this year. Every team needs a crash davis to mentor it’s newly rich children.

4. philliesblow - Jul 21, 2012 at 10:18 PM

Bring him back. Someone has to teach Drummond how to shoot free throws.

5. miamatt - Jul 21, 2012 at 10:55 PM

Whether he comes back or no, I’ll always respect those Detroit squads from the early to mid 2000’s. The rare case of a bunch of good (OK, really good) players without a superstar coming together to win a championship.

They had a couple of epic series with my Heat in those days… they played tough as nails, and I’m glad that squad won in the Finals to validate how great they were for a few years.

6. scoregasmic - Jul 22, 2012 at 1:25 AM

Ben Wallace instantly brings me back to the championship year, I miss that team, I have them as the greatest team ever because well…I’m biased and I don’t care what you think :) but the pistons are building a team similar to it, it’s gonna take awhile but I hope to see them back in the playoffs atleast soon. GO PISTONS!

Will LeBron get booed Christmas Day in Miami?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches