Jul 20, 2012, 1:46 PM EDT
Be ready for failure, Knicks fans.
Amare Stoudemire set the parameters for next season while speaking with MSG during a Knicks Summer League contest (as transcribed by Newsday). And like you want a competitor to say, he set the bar very high.
“Anything less than a championship,” the power forward said on MSG Thursday during Knicks’ Summer League broadcast from Las Vegas, “is a waste of a season.”
The Knicks should be better next season — just a full season under Mike Woodson without the turmoil of a mid-season coaching switch will help. Marcus Camby is a good fit as a backup big man and Raymond Felton seems motivated. They will get a good seed, maybe have a first round home court advantage, maybe get to the second round.
But unless there are some big changes, they are not coming out of the East. Miami got better and they have the crown. Boston got better. Chicago is potentially a title contender depending on Derrick Rose. After that there is a step down to the next tier in the East, where New York, Indiana and likely Brooklyn live. For the Knicks to get out of the East pretty much everything has to go right, then they would get to the finals and run into the Thunder or Lakers and, well. Bust.
But you don’t really want or expect Stoudemire to say anything otherwise.
- Spurs take commanding 3-0 lead over Grizzlies with overtime win in Game 3 3
- Preview: Did Grizzlies figure out Spurs or will Game 3 be more of the same? 0
- George Hill says only God is scarier to face than LeBron James 33
- LeBron James commits two costly turnovers in final minute of Game 2 loss to Pacers 22
- Pacers find their offense, find balance, find Heat’s respect 17
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (124)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (83)
- LeBron’s triple-double, game-winner in overtime lead Heat to Game 1 win over Pacers (70)
- Pacers advance to the Eastern Conference Finals with Game 6 win over Knicks (61)
- If Phil Jackson could have any player to start a team it would be… Bill Russell (61)
- Blackhawks stave off elimination
- Video: Highlights: Blackhawks top Red Wings 4-1
- PST: Bayern Munich beats Dortmund, wins Champions League
- PHT: Bruins bounce Rangers, advance to Conf. finals
- PBT: Pacers' Hill: Only God scarier than LeBron
- Hundreds run Boston Marathon's final mile
- MST Monaco GP predictions: Mercedes' time?