Jul 20, 2012, 2:46 PM EDT
When Spain chose which athlete would carry its flag into the opening ceremonies of the London Olympics, the soccer-mad country chose its most decorated and best athlete — Rafael Nada. The tennis powerhouse. Seriously, name a better athlete who has won more, or is more deserving of the honor.
But Nadal has pulled out due to an injured knee.
Very happy to be the carrier of the Spanish flag. One of the happiest moments of my career. Thanks Federations and COE!
Gasol led Spain to a silver medal four years ago in Beijing and they are the one team that has a serious shot at defeating the United States in London. As a two-time NBA champion he’s the best hoopster his country has ever produced.
Congrats to him. Still going home with another silver medal.
- D’Angelo Russell on Tracy McGrady tweet: “Some Lakers fans are spoiled” 12
- Anthony Davis “definitely” plans on shooting more threes this season 4
- Jim Buss defends Byron Scott as Lakers coach, “He has the Laker blood in him” 24
- Jim Buss open to the idea of Kobe Bryant playing beyond this season 31
- Derrick Rose on sexual assault suit: “I am confident I will be proven innocent” 4
- Report: Kyrie Irving likely not back opening night, could be out until January 14
- Legendary Sixer, backboard-shattering dunker Darryl Dawkins dies at 58 14
- After Rio Olympics next summer, who takes over at Team USA coach? 8