Jul 20, 2012, 2:46 PM EDT
When Spain chose which athlete would carry its flag into the opening ceremonies of the London Olympics, the soccer-mad country chose its most decorated and best athlete — Rafael Nada. The tennis powerhouse. Seriously, name a better athlete who has won more, or is more deserving of the honor.
But Nadal has pulled out due to an injured knee.
Very happy to be the carrier of the Spanish flag. One of the happiest moments of my career. Thanks Federations and COE!
Gasol led Spain to a silver medal four years ago in Beijing and they are the one team that has a serious shot at defeating the United States in London. As a two-time NBA champion he’s the best hoopster his country has ever produced.
Congrats to him. Still going home with another silver medal.
- Stephen Curry leaves game after taking a hard fall, cleared to return (VIDEO) 6
- Rumor: Paul Pierce might opt out of contract with Wizards, join Clippers 14
- Golden State Warriors vs. Houston Rockets Game 4: Three things to watch from Houston 7
- LeBron James posts triple-double, Al Horford ejected as Cavaliers take 3-0 series lead with OT Game 3 win over Hawks 29
- Kyrie Irving out for Game 3 for Cavaliers with knee tendonitis 3
- Lil B says James Harden is officially under the Based God’s curse 31
- Warriors don’t live by 3, die by 3. They live by defense, live by defense 9
- Stephen Curry drops 40, Warriors rout Rockets by 35 to take 3-0 series lead 27