Pau Gasol to carry flag for Spain at London Olympics

Jul 20, 2012, 2:46 PM EDT

Spain's Pau Gasol gestures during their Getty Images

When Spain chose which athlete would carry its flag into the opening ceremonies of the London Olympics, the soccer-mad country chose its most decorated and best athlete — Rafael Nada. The tennis powerhouse. Seriously, name a better athlete who has won more, or is more deserving of the honor.

But Nadal has pulled out due to an injured knee.

So now Lakers big man Pau Gasol gets the honor of carrying the flag, something he confirmed on his twitter account.

Very happy to be the carrier of the Spanish flag. One of the happiest moments of my career. Thanks Federations and COE!

Gasol led Spain to a silver medal four years ago in Beijing and they are the one team that has a serious shot at defeating the United States in London. As a two-time NBA champion he’s the best hoopster his country has ever produced.

Congrats to him. Still going home with another silver medal.

1. illcomm - Jul 20, 2012 at 2:58 PM

how could u spell nadal’s name wrong Klein. nada. really. what n idiot u r.

• ccshocktalk - Jul 20, 2012 at 3:18 PM

Idiot? You cannot even fully spell the words in one sentence; I would dare say you are the idiot, or just lazy.

2. aboogy123456 - Jul 20, 2012 at 3:11 PM

Kurt, are you one of those people that doesn’t care about the people who criticize your grammar and writing, and you simply say “well if they don’t like it then why are they reading”?

Personally, I don’t really like to read your whole articles anymore, so don’t think that me clicking means I do. You do raise very interesting topics though, so most of the time I just skim and then read the comments. A lot of the readers are more intelligent and read their comment before posting. I love this site and look forward to more interesting articles being posted, but if you spend some time proofreading then people won’t make fun of you all the time.

• ccshocktalk - Jul 20, 2012 at 3:20 PM

Maybe it is just me but, this sounds like an ex girlfriend wrote it…

• aboogy123456 - Jul 20, 2012 at 3:24 PM

yea too harsh, sorry. I do like the articles, not as much as like PAU !!!

3. moseskkim - Jul 20, 2012 at 4:38 PM

I think he makes mistakes on purpose to spark comments. I mean Rafael nada? Lol

4. koloofai - Jul 20, 2012 at 5:45 PM

I fell for it again.. Reading an article by Kurt, go learn how to write and spell you fool

5. adzs - Jul 20, 2012 at 5:54 PM

”Seriously, name a better athlete who has won more, or is more deserving of the honor.”

What about Rafael Nadal?? oh wait lool :D

Stephenson goes elsewhere for his future
Top 10 NBA Player Searches