Jul 20, 2012, 7:15 PM EDT
Way more than fans, NBA players get that they are commodities in a business. They want to get as much as they can while they can because they know the window closes fast. Guys may be a little jealous of other players’ deals, but nobody really begrudges each other making money.
So long as they feel the player earned it.
Which is why what Jerry Stackhouse told Sports Illustrated (transcribed by the New York Post) about the Jeremy Lin contract is telling. Guys around Las Vegas (where everyone is melting and going to Summer League) were shaking their head.
Stackhouse, an 18-year NBA veteran, said in a video interview on SI.com that the Rockets’ three-year, $25.1 million offer sheet was too much to match “for a guy that’s only played 25 games for you…
“I think it’s too much, I think they’re gonna look back three years from now and say we maybe could have used this to go out and get another player,” Stackhouse said. … “I think it’s going to hamper them.”
I’m not going to rehash the Lin debate — the Knicks made a bet that Raymond Felton can regain his old form (or close to it) and that was more affordable. It’s a fair bet on the court, the off-the-court intangibles are hard to measure. New York made its call.
But what Stackhouse said is the fit-for-print version of what a lot of players around the league think.
- Tony Parker, Spurs penetration is puzzle Grizzlies can’t solve 0
- Spurs take commanding 3-0 lead over Grizzlies with overtime win in Game 3 6
- Preview: Did Grizzlies figure out Spurs or will Game 3 be more of the same? 0
- George Hill says only God is scarier to face than LeBron James 35
- LeBron James commits two costly turnovers in final minute of Game 2 loss to Pacers 22
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (124)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (83)
- LeBron’s triple-double, game-winner in overtime lead Heat to Game 1 win over Pacers (70)
- Pacers advance to the Eastern Conference Finals with Game 6 win over Knicks (61)
- If Phil Jackson could have any player to start a team it would be… Bill Russell (61)
- Blackhawks stave off elimination
- Video: Highlights: Blackhawks top Red Wings 4-1
- PST: Bayern Munich beats Dortmund, wins Champions League
- PHT: Bruins bounce Rangers, advance to Conf. finals
- PBT: Pacers' Hill: Only God scarier than LeBron
- Hundreds run Boston Marathon's final mile
- MST Monaco GP predictions: Mercedes' time?