Jul 20, 2012, 12:39 AM EDT
If you have instant replay — the ability to get close calls right — you should use it. Better to drag the end of a game out a little and have the calls be right than to rush and be wrong.
Along those lines, the owners voted Thursday to expand the use of instant replay in specific situations. Those are:
• On all flagrant foul calls. Previously referees could only review a flagrant 2 call, the more severe that called for ejection. That led to some awkward decisions, let’s just call this the Udonis Haslem rule. Now if it’s a flagrant it can be reviewed. As it should have been at the start.
• On late game goaltending/restricted area calls in the final two minutes of games. Again, you want calls to be correct at the end of games so this makes sense. Allowing the referees to review goaltending calls, which is a little more straightforward, is pretty easy.
The restricted area thing gets more complicated, because block/charge calls are often borderline and involve a lot of factors at once. As Zach Lowe asked at Sports Illustrated:
Take this scenario: A referee whistles a defensive player for a blocking foul and points to the restricted area semicircle, indicating the defender was inside the circle, and that his position there was the reason for the call. Imagine that upon video review, it turns out the defender was actually outside the circle. But also imagine that video review reveals the defender was moving in a way that would be a violation regardless of his positioning in or out of the circle–an illegal bit of movement the referees missed on first look.
Do you stick with the original blocking call because of that illegal movement, or overturn the original call and rule the play a charge, based on the defender being out of the circle? A league source says the reversal would be mandated, and if that’s the case, the NBA has gotten into dicey territory here.
The owners discussed the issue of flopping but no rule changes were mandated. But that also is tricky, to give the referees more power over a call that, depending on your angle and the speed of the play, can be hard to call.
The more likely flopping answer is review by the league office the next day and fines.
Aug 30, 2014, 11:01 PM EDT
Rose looked like his vintage self for a night.
Aug 30, 2014, 9:30 PM EDT
The statue is in Buenos Aires, in case you were looking to travel to get your picture with it.
Aug 30, 2014, 8:00 PM EDT
That’s a higher bar than most realize
Aug 30, 2014, 7:00 PM EDT
Klay Thompson scored 18 points and Anthony Davis had 17 points on the night. Finland had great fans, though.
Aug 30, 2014, 6:30 PM EDT
Kings rookie rookie honing his 3-point Shootout skills
Aug 30, 2014, 5:00 PM EDT
Will Davis be better than LeBron and Durant in five years? I’ll say this — he’ll be on that level.
Aug 30, 2014, 3:30 PM EDT
Role models are not one size fits all.
Aug 30, 2014, 2:00 PM EDT
Former Tennessee guard, drafted No. 58, will help Philadelphia tank from afar
Aug 30, 2014, 12:30 PM EDT
Other NBA teams also watching Slovenia closely in World Cup to assess Zoran
Aug 30, 2014, 11:00 AM EDT
Finland isn’t as good as the teams the USA was destroying in tune ups.
Aug 30, 2014, 9:30 AM EDT
He can decide this summer, or he can wait and join a team mid-season. There is no rush.
Aug 30, 2014, 8:00 AM EDT
“We talk and he’s ready. He’s 20-year-old Kobe. It’s going to be a crazy environment.” — James Harden on Kobe Bryant
Aug 30, 2014, 12:11 AM EDT
Another Pacer player injured in international play.
Aug 29, 2014, 11:15 PM EDT
Tournament features a record 75 players who have played in the NBA at some point, and we have the complete list.
Chris Paul discusses his signature shoe, hoops with media at launch of his Jordan Brand CP3 VIII (VIDEO)
Aug 29, 2014, 9:45 PM EDT
Chris Paul is way more into sneakers than you are, and articulated it well at the launch of his latest signature shoe in New York earlier this week.
Aug 29, 2014, 8:15 PM EDT
Ayon has played for four teams in three NBA seasons, and currently only has offers to play overseas next year.
Aug 29, 2014, 6:43 PM EDT
Allen is undecided on playing next season.
Aug 29, 2014, 4:15 PM EDT
Knicks wing acts as security guard in prank
Aug 29, 2014, 3:33 PM EDT
Bulls have Joakim Noah, Pau Gasol, Taj Gibson and Nikola Mirotic
Aug 29, 2014, 2:47 PM EDT
Colangelo touts Anthony Davis, James Harden, Stephen Curry, Derrick Rose, Rudy Gay
- USA cruises past Finland in World Cup opener, 114-55 11
- World Cup Preview: USA vs. Finland, what to expect 4
- James Harden on Kobe Bryant return: “He’s 20-year-old Kobe” 31
- Chris Paul discusses his signature shoe, hoops with media at launch of his Jordan Brand CP3 VIII (VIDEO) 5
- 67RIEFNS No. 1: Tom Thibodeau managing his bigs 22
- Derrick Rose knows injury questions will keep coming. And coming. And coming. 11
- FIBA World Cup preview: USA, Spain, then who else can medal? 2
- Official ‘Clippers’ Number 1 Fan’ on herself and Donald Sterling: ‘I’ll always feel it’s our team’ 21