Jul 20, 2012, 12:39 AM EDT
If you have instant replay — the ability to get close calls right — you should use it. Better to drag the end of a game out a little and have the calls be right than to rush and be wrong.
Along those lines, the owners voted Thursday to expand the use of instant replay in specific situations. Those are:
• On all flagrant foul calls. Previously referees could only review a flagrant 2 call, the more severe that called for ejection. That led to some awkward decisions, let’s just call this the Udonis Haslem rule. Now if it’s a flagrant it can be reviewed. As it should have been at the start.
• On late game goaltending/restricted area calls in the final two minutes of games. Again, you want calls to be correct at the end of games so this makes sense. Allowing the referees to review goaltending calls, which is a little more straightforward, is pretty easy.
The restricted area thing gets more complicated, because block/charge calls are often borderline and involve a lot of factors at once. As Zach Lowe asked at Sports Illustrated:
Take this scenario: A referee whistles a defensive player for a blocking foul and points to the restricted area semicircle, indicating the defender was inside the circle, and that his position there was the reason for the call. Imagine that upon video review, it turns out the defender was actually outside the circle. But also imagine that video review reveals the defender was moving in a way that would be a violation regardless of his positioning in or out of the circle–an illegal bit of movement the referees missed on first look.
Do you stick with the original blocking call because of that illegal movement, or overturn the original call and rule the play a charge, based on the defender being out of the circle? A league source says the reversal would be mandated, and if that’s the case, the NBA has gotten into dicey territory here.
The owners discussed the issue of flopping but no rule changes were mandated. But that also is tricky, to give the referees more power over a call that, depending on your angle and the speed of the play, can be hard to call.
The more likely flopping answer is review by the league office the next day and fines.
Mar 27, 2015, 11:44 PM EDT
LeBron refused to be dismissive of a seemingly harmless regular season loss.
Mar 27, 2015, 10:30 PM EDT
O’Neal made the remarks while being inducted into the Orlando Magic Hall of Fame.
Mar 27, 2015, 9:30 PM EDT
The injuries continue to pile up for the Rockets.
Mar 27, 2015, 8:30 PM EDT
The battle between Green and Doc Rivers continues in the funniest of ways.
Mar 27, 2015, 7:25 PM EDT
Blatt knows James is unlikely to get the league-wide award this season.
Mar 27, 2015, 6:12 PM EDT
The Thunder defense has become a mess, which is bad for the playoffs.
Mar 27, 2015, 5:18 PM EDT
What is in James Harden’s beard?
Mar 27, 2015, 4:32 PM EDT
He is likely a middle second round pick if he comes out.
Mar 27, 2015, 3:45 PM EDT
It’s pretty spot on. And cold-blooded.
Mar 27, 2015, 3:09 PM EDT
He should be back next season, the final one of this contract with Oklahoma City.
Mar 27, 2015, 2:16 PM EDT
Drake and Lou Williams are tight.
Mar 27, 2015, 1:32 PM EDT
Cousey said not Shaq, not Ewing, nobody reminded him of Russell like Whiteside.
Mar 27, 2015, 12:42 PM EDT
You do not see this every day.
Mar 27, 2015, 11:55 AM EDT
As everyone braces for 2016 spike, another big bump could follow
Mar 27, 2015, 10:55 AM EDT
LeBron James and a lot of stature are gone, but with the more-modest goal of just making the playoffs, Miami’s new point guard embracing the challenge
Mar 27, 2015, 10:19 AM EDT
Pelicans star missed eight free throws in setback to Houston
Mar 27, 2015, 9:44 AM EDT
Hornets’ playoff chances looking dim
Mar 27, 2015, 9:06 AM EDT
Bradley Beal questionable
Mar 27, 2015, 8:30 AM EDT
Cousins has gotten better, but he still has yet to hear a foul call he liked.
Mar 27, 2015, 8:00 AM EDT
He hit 12 straight shots at one point.
- Cavaliers coach David Blatt: ‘LeBron James is our MVP’ 20
- No Durant, what does that mean for Thunder in these playoffs? Trouble. 13
- Kevin Durant to have third foot surgery; is done for season, playoffs 36
- Goran Dragic leading feisty Heat’s playoff push 26
- NBA Draft prospect matchups to watch in NCAA Tourament this weekend 2
- Report: LeBron James frustrated with Kevin Love for not fitting in 85
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Wednesday: Kevin Love seems to be fitting in just fine suddenly 4
- It’s official: Dwight Howard will return to Rockets’ lineup Wednesday 2