Lakers reach two-year deal to keep center Jordan Hill

Jul 20, 2012, 9:59 PM EDT

Jordan Hill AP

The Lakers liked what they saw from Jordan Hill at the end of last season — 4.7 points and 4.4 rebounds a game, with a very nice PER of 19.3 in limited minutes. He was efficient and did his job backing up Andrew Bynum.

So the Lakers have inked Hill to a new deal, his agent told Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo Sports and the NBC Sports Network.

Jordan Hill has reached agreement on a two-year, nearly $8 million deal with the Lakers, his agent Kevin Bradbury tells Y! Sports.

Bradbury: “Jordan was excited about the fact that Steve Nash decided to join the Lakers and the prospect of winning a championship in LA.”

Actually, it has to be more like $7.5 million under the terms of the CBA because the Rockets had not picked up his option before letting him go, so that’s the max LA can offer. Still, Hill he wasn’t going to get $4 million a year for a couple years anywhere else.

For a good backup center that is a fair price. Nobody really expects the former Arizona player will keep up a 19.3 PER, but if it falls back to the league average that’s still about the right deal.

1. detroit20iron - Jul 21, 2012 at 12:44 AM

Good re-signing by the lakers

2. Roof-Top Ranting - Jul 21, 2012 at 12:53 AM

Minnesota supposedly had a better offer financially, obviously not a better team

3. geraldthecat - Jul 21, 2012 at 1:17 AM

2 years 4 mill per. I do not understand the luxury tax.

4. cosanostra71 - Jul 21, 2012 at 1:53 AM

solid depth signing. If he can keep crashing the boards then I’m happy.

5. 00maltliquor - Jul 21, 2012 at 3:39 AM

Thank you, what took so long!? Had me worried for a minute there. Lakers needed a back up big in the worst way and they retained the best one out on the market. Now I can sleep comfortably tonight. There’s gonna be a lot of naysayers out there to thumb this down but honestly, we got this next year.

Now if we could only amnesty or dump off Steve Blake to some unsuspecting team, or send him on a cruise trip to the Bermuda Triangle we’d be more then straight!

• drunkenjunk - Jul 21, 2012 at 6:19 AM

I like Hill, he seemed to improve last year.

6. fotydaze - Jul 21, 2012 at 4:32 AM

All we need now is a coach that knows what he’s doing

7. paulhargis53 - Jul 21, 2012 at 7:34 AM

“we got this next year”? Uff.

Signing 2 old guys and resigning This guy put them over the top?

You delusional Lakers fans never cease to amaze me. It’s incredible that stupidity your fanbase displays on a daily basis.
    What they’ve added doesn’t get them past the Spurs or Thunder.
    They might not even be the best team on L.A. right now.

Keep blowing smoke up each others asses though.
    Most. Ignorant. Fanbase. Ever.

• ron05342 - Jul 22, 2012 at 8:07 PM

Wow.

This might be the worst comment I have ever read on ProBasketballTalk. Ever.

And you couldn’t be more wrong. Even though there are plenty of Laker fans that let their emotions get in the way of their thought process from time to time, the “fan base” as you put it is one of the most knowledgeable in the league, widely considered by most pro announcers as second perhaps only to New York’s fan base.

Your comment, which is full of vitriol, does not contain anything to support your claims, and it appears you have unresolved anger issues. A true hater…that is a very sad state of affairs for you…and you need to do something about it. Expert help is advised.

• loungefly74 - Jul 23, 2012 at 7:55 AM

@ron… A LOT of commenters (even those not Laker fans) agree with you. paulhargis is a curmudgeon. every single post is about his hatred for the Lakers. quite pathetic. actually, i’m beginning to think he is just joking and wanting some attention. oh…to add fuel to his self imposed misery, paulhargis admitted he does not root for a team. yes, that’s right, he spends his time just hating on a team. who does that? very unhealthy thing to do and a clinical approach may be needed.

8. fiyeaglesfiy - Jul 21, 2012 at 8:28 AM

Jordan Hill was a solid signing and got him at a fair price. Makes me feel a little bit better that we got some value back for trading Fisher and a first rounder other than a salary dump in that we needed Hill’s bird rights to make this deal.

9. omniusprime - Jul 21, 2012 at 9:08 AM

I’m glad Jordan Hill will remain a Laker. His energy last year was what the team needed. I’ll be glad to see him back up Bynum this coming season. We don’t need no stinking Diva at center, what’s needed is a replacement for Steve Flake. The Lakers need a young talented point guard to back up ancient Nash who doesn’t bother to play defense because he’s too old and decrepit. The other thing we need is a real coach, not that Clown Brown.

10. drunkenjunk - Jul 21, 2012 at 10:04 AM

laker fans, if y’all start slow next year will Brown be gone before the first half of the season?

11. paulhargis53 - Jul 21, 2012 at 10:49 AM

“We got this next year”.
    That’s the dumbest thing ever typed on here.
    Why are Lakers fans so delusional?

I used detest this fanbase as recently as last week. It’s not worth it. It’s easier and more constructive to point and laugh.

12. rodge1 - Jul 21, 2012 at 11:38 AM

I agree with paulhargis53… “We got this next year” is one of the dumbest things I’ve read on here. Lakers’ fans are the West-coast version of Knicks’ fans: Constantly predicting nonsense and actually believing it. I’m glad that Kobe and his contract are holding Lakers’ roster hostage. I hope he waits years to retire thus holding them back for years.

13. 00maltliquor - Jul 21, 2012 at 12:42 PM

Okay paul and rodge…
    Yes, I am a Lakers die-hard fanatic. But I am also one of if not the most unbiased regulars on this site. I don’t let petty little things like hatred for another team/player(s) cloud my talent and team evaluation and I keep an open mind when commenting regaurdless of whose team it is.

It’s also no coincedence that Las Vegas has the LAKERS in the top four for winning the championship every year. Year in and year out. Have you ever tried going to the sports book out there and place a few bets? Those oddsmakers are frighteningly accurate to the point one would even think those games are fixed with how close a game comes within the spread. And not to brag, but the last year I lived out there before moving back to Cali the whole year (2010-11 season) I hit at an incredible 72% rate while making my bets. It was pretty much like a second job to me. So I think I know what I’m talking about (killed me everytime I put money on the stupid Celtics too, but those suckers always won me money!).

Anyways, paulhargis53, all your known for on this site is to be a hater anyways who lets his hatred, especially for the Lakers cloud your judgement and you end up sounding like an idiot. Doesn’t bother me one bit when you try to say what you say.

rodge1…got a little more respect for you because your not always on here trying to troll like this guy^, so all I can say to you is let’s agree to disagree and lets watch this fantastic upcoming season play itself out and we’ll talk about this in June 2013 (when the Lakeshow put up #17). Either way should make for one incredible season jam packed with excitement the way things are shaking out. I can’t wait.

• loungefly74 - Jul 23, 2012 at 8:12 AM

i’m gonna guess the “2 thumbs downs” are from our good ol buddies Paul and Rodge…
      @malt…yeah man…i with ya on all you said. like you, though you do a better job, i try to be unbiased and give my good positive fair shake at most of the articles especially those involving other teams. i’m a Laker fan and i give props to Boston for cryin’ out loud.
      @paul and rodge…i dont know what else to say that the above comment hasn’t said already. i mean…why wouldn’t Laker fans be excited about go deep this year (and every year)? does it sound far-fetched to you guys? if so…ya guys don’t know jack. the lakers (as mentioned earlier) are perennial favorites every year. i’ll remind paul again…in the past 30 years…the Lakers have been to 15 finals…Paul/Rodge…that is a 50% freakin succes rate, ya dolts! jezuz! and yet, im foolish to think my team has a shot at the finals? its not like im saying the sacramento kings are at the dawn of a dynasty run, ya know what? forget it…you guys are the fools…and the ones being laughed it…

14. lakerluver - Jul 21, 2012 at 12:46 PM

Both of you two clowns are idiots. How is Kobe’s contract holding the LAKERS back? The LAKERS on paper are much better now than they were to end the season. And why can’t they contend for a title next season? Even if the trade for Howard doesn’t happen the LAKERS are as good as any team in the NBA. If the trade does happen the LAKERS are the team to beat. And comparing the LAKERS to the Knicks?!! Dude, that just puts your ignorance and stupidity on full display!!

15. lakerluver - Jul 21, 2012 at 12:51 PM

Oh. Idiot, you do know that Kobe doesn’t have a “lifetime” contract, right? In three years the contracts of Kobe, Nash, and Pau will be off the LAKERS book. At that time they will have either Bynum or Howard still in their prime AND millions to spend on two or three elite free agents. That means after the Kobe era ends the LAKERS will be in great position to reload.

• therealhtj - Jul 21, 2012 at 4:22 PM

Actually Kobe and Pau are off in 2 years, Nash has 3. But a bunch of haters comparing Lakers and Knicks fans? Seriously? The gold standard of the NBA and a dysfunctional bunch that haven’t made it out of the first round in recent memory?

It’s Celtics fans that are Delusional thinking that decrepit lineup has any shot of coming out of the east to maybe, just maybe, get a shot at a second title in the last 27 years.

16. cantonbound13 - Jul 21, 2012 at 12:59 PM

Lakers are back if this Howard trade finally goes down.

17. paulhargis53 - Jul 21, 2012 at 2:43 PM

I don’t hate players or teams doofus. It’s unrealistic fans such as yourself and laker that I used to detest.

Outside of Laker fans, I’m known on this site as trying to educate a misinformed, annoying, over the to fanbase. Just because my correct statements don’t Kobe with your biased fantasies, that doesn’t make me a hater. It makes me a realist.

For your edification, adding a 39 and a 34 year old to this team, doesn’t mean “you got this” It means your team got older and slower. It means you still aren’t getting by the Spurs, Thunder, or Clippers.
    I don’t care what the bookmakers say. Those odds are for ropes like you to point to and say, look my team is good! Dope.
    In actuality its to induce betting on both sides to make the most $.
    If you won this year,(doubtful) you’ll lose your hind end next time.
    In fact its doubtful you went fromLA to Vegas.
    You’re probably in your bedroom in South Bend Indiana with cookie crumbs on your face and your boxers around your ankles staring at a Kobe poster. Or is that “lakerluver”?
    I pity you 2, I really do, but you’re so fun to laugh at.

• 00maltliquor - Jul 22, 2012 at 4:54 AM

Hey self proclaimed “realist”,16 championships in 31 finals appearences in 64 years in the league.

That means since 1948 the championship has gone to the Lakers a whopping 25% of the time. That’s a 1 and 4 chance of the Lakers saying “we got this” every year, “doofus”.

And that’s just winning it all, Lakers have gotten to the finals a staggering 48% of the time since their exsistance!

That means close to 50%…HALF THE TIME the LAKERS make it to the final showdown.

HOW AM I NOT SUPPOSED TO BELIEVE THE LAKERS DON’T HAVE A SHOT!? Look at the history, check the stats, until proven otherwise the fact still remains. Outside of the Celtics, what other team has more then 6 championships?? Who really being unrealistic!?

Sure ain’t the Clippers, who, btw have to get past us first for you to even dare to say the Lakers “still aren’t getting past” them.

Oh your lack of NBA knowledge is easy to expose, jive turkey! Boy oh boy are you easy to pick apart.

Hey shit for brains, why don’t you look at the average age of all the championship teams in just the last 10 years. Hell, do it for the last 20 years! Experience has been proven to win championships, how many young teams has there been that have actually taken it all the way?
      That’s partially why the Thunder lost, Miami had much more experience. So what if we got older, we got BETTER. We’re not built for the future, we’re built for right now.

There is nothing wrong with saying “we got this” when history proves it’s possible. With the team as is is easily a top 5 team in title contention. So how is it not a possibility? U mad? I can really go on and on and destroy you if I really wanted to but 1) your too easy. 2) I don’t even feel like wasting my time you are obviously lacking brain cells from all the sh!t you’ve been huffing.

Will the Lakers win it all, IDK, it will be tough, but I believe they will. They definatly have a legit shot at it and to say otherwise is foolish.

And stop trying to “educate”, that’s like a kindergartener trying to teach advanced physics to college students.

Have fun in South Bend, Indiana. With your sticky fingers typing an illogical response, just mad cause your team historically sucks and your just sick to your stomach seeing the Lakers with a shot at the title for so many years, just waiting to see their downfall that never seems to come. We got this…Winning, duh!

• loungefly74 - Jul 23, 2012 at 8:17 AM

again paul…you are an idiot. the only way you are educating anyone is on how to be a complete idiot. congratulations…

18. lakerluver - Jul 21, 2012 at 4:32 PM

Don’t pity us, it’s AWESOME being a LAKERS fan. Our team wins titles in bunches. We average 1 Championship parade just about every 3 seasons. We get the elite of the elite to wear the PURPLE & GOLD. All that being said, dude, you just don’t have a clue!! Yes, OKC beat the LAKERS. However, even a dunce like yourself has to be able to see that the LAKERS are a serious title contender for next season. With or without Howard. The LAKERS have strenghtehenwd the areas where they were weak. Even at 38 Nash still has a better understanding of the game than Westbrook will probably ever have. As for the Spurs, their title window closed, ohhh, about 5 years ago!! I will not say its a guarantee that the LAKERS hang CHAMPIONSHIP BANNER NUMBER 17 next season. However, they have a great chance to do so!! And, stop stealing my material!! I used those same lines last week, clown!!

19. nicosanchez02 - Jul 21, 2012 at 4:54 PM

Yeah Paulhargis53 like Boston was very young last year right, and took game 7 to lose out in the end, I bet you would like that 39 year point guard on your team!

20. paulhargis53 - Jul 21, 2012 at 5:56 PM

Your tears will be that much sweeter when they don’t make the WCF next season.
    Steal your material? WTF are you even talking about?
    You don’t have an original bone in your body. You are a dime a dozen on this site.

My point guard is top 3 in the league. My team vastly improved and I fully expect them in the title series.

I look at you Laker fans and point and laugh.
    Delusional, unrealistic,know nothing fans.

• loungefly74 - Jul 23, 2012 at 8:27 AM

@paul…your team? you don’t have a team, ya nimrod! ya said so yourself, ya chump. so what did you do those 5 years in the past 12 seasons (42% success rate…who else does that? nobody.) when the Lakers won? well…ya failed at taking your miserable self out of this existence…so ya did nothing but fester and stew, ya buffoon.

21. lakerluver - Jul 21, 2012 at 8:38 PM

Dude, you’re a regular Don Rickles! Just freakin hilarious!!! All your comments are based more on comedy and less on reality.

22. paulhargis53 - Jul 24, 2012 at 9:56 AM

LOL. Fish. in. a. barrel.

Look at the rougues gallery of Laker fans ripping me to shreds because I dont think the,Lakers win it all…..You’re doing the exact thing that I called you out on and people detest your fanbase for.

Malt. Your cliche filled rant makes it hard to take you serious.
    Ron, no anger issues at all, thanks for caring though.
    lounge, I NEVER said I didn’t have a team, that’s a blatant lie.
    I won’t tell you who it is, just because it bugs the piss out of you.

Pompous, arrogant,know nothing fans. Spoiled. Glory days are over boys, get used to it.

What players stood out at World Cup?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches