Jul 20, 2012, 7:55 AM EST
This really is not a game changer. It isn’t. And I’ll explain why in a minute.
But Dwight Howard’s agent Don Fegan made a splash late Thursday saying Howard would test the free agent waters next summer regardless of where he is traded (or if he is traded). Here is the quote from Fegan to Ric Bucher of ESPN.
“Dwight’s position has remained unchanged since the end of this past season,” said Dan Fegan of LaGardere Unlimited. “He fully intends to explore free agency at the end of next season, regardless of what team trades for him, including Brooklyn.”
Here is why that makes me yawn — of course he was going to become a free agent and not sign an extension, it’s a $40 million (or so) guaranteed money difference. Under the terms of the new CBA if Howard signed an extension tomorrow or any time this season it can only be for three more years after this one. If he plays out this season and becomes a free agent then re-signs with the team he is on he can get five years with larger raises. It’s what Deron Williams did.
So, to be clear, even if he is traded to the Lakers today and he wants to stay in L.A.long-term, it makes financial sense for him to become a free agent next summer then just re-sign with the team.
The agent speak from Fegan about Howard exploring free agency is him covering his bases. It is not an expression of the reality of how this goes down.
I think Howard will re-sign wherever he gets traded — Los Angeles, Houston, Brooklyn, some other late comer. The reason is not just the money in the deal (discussed above) it is about long-term endorsement money. Fair or not Howard had shredded his reputation in a LeBronesque way during this process — do you think after all that he wants to play out his contract and start a public free agent frenzy for his services? That would be the one thing that would make him look worse right now.
But no, Howard will not sign an extension with anyone. He never was going to. But that doesn’t mean he leaves wherever he ends up suiting up for next season.
- Mike D’Antoni: Chances “pretty good” Kobe plays Sunday… he sold that short 3
- Report: Rockets stepping up efforts to move Omer Asik 10
- Rumor: Carmelo Anthony recruiting Rajon Rondo to come to New York in 2015 9
- Report: Heat shopping Joel Anthony, seeking depth behind Wade 17
- LeBron not wearing new LeBron 11s, Nike “redefining” shoe for him 12
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (64)
- Michael Beasley finding a role, groove in Miami (43)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (42)
- Dwight Howard frustrated with Rockets’ effort in recent losses (40)
- Kobe Bryant dunks, looks good in Lakers practice; Friday return possible (38)