Jul 20, 2012, 6:47 PM EDT
We told you a couple days ago that Boston had reached a sign-and-trade deal to get Courtney Lee from the Rockets — and that is a beautiful fit for Boston. They get a guy who can defend on the perimeter, knock down threes and come off the bench. A defensively better version of Ray Allen.
But before it got finalized the rest of the deal got more complex and now has three teams in play. Let’s spell it out for you.
The Rockets receive forward JaJuan Johnson (who reportedly is so ticked about the move he has threatened not to report), guard E’Twaun Moore (who is rumored to be in a second trade to Chicago), big man Sean Williams and Charlotte’s second-round pick in next year’s draft (which Boston had the rights to).
Boston also will send swingman Sasha Pavlovic to Portland and Houston gets the rights to guard Job Diebler from Portland.
Yes, it got a tad more complex.
And Boston gave up a fair amount in this deal, but they are in win now mode after bringing Kevin Garnett back and Lee fits into this. By brining back KG, re-signing Brandon Bass, getting Jason Terry and moves like this, the Celtics had a good summer. They got better.
- Report: Klay Thompson’s camp ‘frustrated’ Warriors have yet to offer a max contract extension 0
- 67RIEFNS: Warriors starters with Draymond Green 0
- Report: Kobe Bryant viewed Dwight Howard leaving Lakers in free agency as ‘a positive’ 28
- Report: Cavaliers have had ‘zero discussion’ on contract extension with Tristan Thompson 11
- Why I am going to miss Steve Nash 26
- Victor Oladipo out indefinitely after taking elbow in practice, suffering facial fracture 13
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: New Orleans Pelicans 10
- Five teams poised to make a big leap forward this season 5