Jul 20, 2012, 6:47 PM EDT
We told you a couple days ago that Boston had reached a sign-and-trade deal to get Courtney Lee from the Rockets — and that is a beautiful fit for Boston. They get a guy who can defend on the perimeter, knock down threes and come off the bench. A defensively better version of Ray Allen.
But before it got finalized the rest of the deal got more complex and now has three teams in play. Let’s spell it out for you.
The Rockets receive forward JaJuan Johnson (who reportedly is so ticked about the move he has threatened not to report), guard E’Twaun Moore (who is rumored to be in a second trade to Chicago), big man Sean Williams and Charlotte’s second-round pick in next year’s draft (which Boston had the rights to).
Boston also will send swingman Sasha Pavlovic to Portland and Houston gets the rights to guard Job Diebler from Portland.
Yes, it got a tad more complex.
And Boston gave up a fair amount in this deal, but they are in win now mode after bringing Kevin Garnett back and Lee fits into this. By brining back KG, re-signing Brandon Bass, getting Jason Terry and moves like this, the Celtics had a good summer. They got better.
- Pacers find their offense, find balance, find Heat’s respect 1
- Pacers get big games from Roy Hibbert and Paul George, take Game 2 from Heat to even the series 12
- LeBron James-Paul George matchup reaches awesome levels in Game 2 5
- John Calipari comes to defense of Derrick Rose 9
- Tony Allen fined $5,000 for overacting on Ginobili foul 13
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (124)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (83)
- LeBron’s triple-double, game-winner in overtime lead Heat to Game 1 win over Pacers (68)
- Pacers advance to the Eastern Conference Finals with Game 6 win over Knicks (60)
- If Phil Jackson could have any player to start a team it would be… Bill Russell (60)
- Penguins bounce Senators
- Pacers take down Heat in Game 2 to even series
- Tiger, LeBron and bids to be the best that ever lived
- PST: Report: Openly gay Rogers to play for Galaxy
- HBT: Granderson breaks pinky in Yanks' win
- PHT: NHL to present Coyotes ownership plans
- HBT: A-Rod sells Miami home for $30 million