Jul 20, 2012, 6:47 PM EDT
We told you a couple days ago that Boston had reached a sign-and-trade deal to get Courtney Lee from the Rockets — and that is a beautiful fit for Boston. They get a guy who can defend on the perimeter, knock down threes and come off the bench. A defensively better version of Ray Allen.
But before it got finalized the rest of the deal got more complex and now has three teams in play. Let’s spell it out for you.
The Rockets receive forward JaJuan Johnson (who reportedly is so ticked about the move he has threatened not to report), guard E’Twaun Moore (who is rumored to be in a second trade to Chicago), big man Sean Williams and Charlotte’s second-round pick in next year’s draft (which Boston had the rights to).
Boston also will send swingman Sasha Pavlovic to Portland and Houston gets the rights to guard Job Diebler from Portland.
Yes, it got a tad more complex.
And Boston gave up a fair amount in this deal, but they are in win now mode after bringing Kevin Garnett back and Lee fits into this. By brining back KG, re-signing Brandon Bass, getting Jason Terry and moves like this, the Celtics had a good summer. They got better.
- LeBron James posts triple-double, Al Horford ejected as Cavaliers take 3-0 series lead with OT Game 3 win over Hawks 22
- Kyrie Irving out for Game 3 for Cavaliers with knee tendonitis 3
- Lil B says James Harden is officially under the Based God’s curse 28
- Warriors don’t live by 3, die by 3. They live by defense, live by defense 9
- Stephen Curry drops 40, Warriors rout Rockets by 35 to take 3-0 series lead 27
- Hawks Kyle Korver out for remainder of playoffs with high ankle sprain 17
- Report: Scott Skiles in lead to become next Orlando coach 17
- Report: Jeff Van Gundy candidate for Pelicans’ coaching job 16