Wall says time for him to be All-Star, Wizards to make playoffs

Jul 19, 2012, 12:44 PM EDT

Washington Wizards v Atlanta Hawks Getty Images

The Wizards were more dysfunctional than a Kardashian marriage.

So they have changed everything. Down to the uniforms.

Look at it this way — John Wall is now the longest tenured Wizard, something owner Ted Leonsis wrote on his blog. He wrote about the top-to-bottom changeover of the roster. It needed to happen — the Wizards had the most dysfunctional locker room in the league. Now with guys like Nene, Emeka Okafor, Trevor Ariza this will be more professional team. A team that prepares properly and comes to play every night.

John Wall remains Washington’s key — the Wizards go as far as he goes.

And he told Hoops World he has big goals (via the legendary D.C. Sports Bog at the Post):

“I’m very confident,” he told HoopsWorld from Vegas, while his hipster glasses were tucked into his shirt. “I mean, the organization, the general manager, the owner and the coaching staff are doing a great job. Now it’s just up to us the players to go out there and execute what they’re giving us and play our best.”

The man with the mic then asked Wall if it was time for him to make the playoffs.

“Yeah, it’s time for me to be in the playoffs, it’s time to be an All-Star,” Wall said. “It’s all those type of things that I’ve been wanting and wanting [for] this organization, to help the Wizards get better. So it’s all up to me to lead my team and us to get better.”

I want Wall to say that. I want him to hit jumpers, attack off the pick-and-roll and play like an All-Star. I want him to have that mindset.

Is he going to be an All-Star in a conference where Deron Williams, Rajon Rondo and Derrick Rose are all point guards? Probably not this year.

Are the Wizards going to make the playoffs? Maybe, they could pull it all together and get the 6-8 seed. Maybe.

But it all comes back to Wall and how he plays.

If he plays like an All-Star the Wizards will be respectable this season. That alone is a big step forward.

1. cakemixa - Jul 19, 2012 at 12:48 PM

No, it’s not. It’s time to do the dougie.

2. manwithpizza - Jul 19, 2012 at 1:51 PM

I am hoping he does take a leap this year. I agree he is behind Rose, Rondo and Williams. But with Rose hurt to start the year he might have a chance at the all-star game.

but…

He’d have to outplay Kyrie Irving for that spot, something he did not do last year.

• jwreck - Jul 20, 2012 at 1:41 PM

Wall is certainly a step behind Rose, Rondo, and Williams. However, while Kyrie Irving definitely has the makings of a star, Wall clearly outplayed him last year: better in every single recorded stat (Irving did have two more points per game, but Wall is more of a pass-first point guard, while Irving’s strength is as a scorer).

It is important to note however, that until his third season, everyone was still questioning Derrick Rose’s ability to be a superstar, and whether he was truly worth the number one pick. Similarly, Rondo and Williams also didn’t really show their true talent until their third years in the league.

In summary, this is definitely Wall’s year to show his stuff, and while he will probably not make the All-Stars or the playoffs this year, unless something crazy happens (Dwight Howard gets traded to DC for a pack of Trident, and Bradley Beal turns out to be the next Michael Jordan); if Wall works hard on his jumper over the Summer, he should be one of the leagues dominant point guards for years to come.

3. 91devinhester23 - Jul 19, 2012 at 1:55 PM

whoa there buddy try not being the 2nd worst team in the east first

4. paleihe - Jul 19, 2012 at 1:55 PM

“Yeah, it’s time for me to be in the playoffs…”

See, he’s supposed to be the leader of that team, as their “cornerstone.” But, leaders have to talk about the team, not themselves individually. It’s time for US, the Wizards, to make the playoffs. We should make the playoffs. Not, I should be in the playoffs.

This isn’t all about you, Mr. Wall.

• slopmcflop - Jul 19, 2012 at 2:42 PM

How bout you read the rest of that quote there, guy.

Funny thing about the instant news atmosphere of today: people constantly overanalyze to the point where people single out ONE word in a paragraph that they use to illustrate their point. Sure, he said “me.” But John Wall hasn’t had a track record of “me first, team second.” Remember him putting his team on blast for their selfish play? I think he’s been quite professional up to this point in his career. Wouldn’t let a single word in a single interview deter me from thinking that.

5. steviep23 - Jul 19, 2012 at 2:11 PM

Now change the name back to bullets.

6. sabanissatan - Jul 19, 2012 at 2:17 PM

Brad Beal

7. cowboysallday - Jul 19, 2012 at 2:28 PM

Let’s go Wall do work this year!

8. ravenscaps48 - Jul 19, 2012 at 3:31 PM

Gotta get rid of the bum known as Andray Blatche, first… I like the make up of this team though. They should get the #7 or #8 seed with the roster the way it is… Give time for Bradley Beal and John Wall to meld, and we’ll be in decent shape to lose to Miami or Boston come playoff time

• theonlysaneblazerfan - Jul 19, 2012 at 3:53 PM

They already amnestied Blatche, homie.

9. knightrider1755 - Jul 20, 2012 at 1:18 AM

It’s time for the Wizards to be relevant.

Why can't Lakers have a player-coach?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches