Jul 19, 2012, 5:13 PM EDT
Ray Allen, Celtics fans are going to miss you. But they are really going to like the guy filling your role.
Celtics to acquire G Courtney Lee from Rockets in a sign and trade sending back F JaJuan Johnson, sources tell Y! Details being finalized.
Later reports say the Celtics are sending Johnson, E’Twaun Moore, Sean Williams and a second round pick, which is a steeper price. But is still worth it. Lee is an almost ideal fit for them — and he has said he wants to play in Boston. Lee has a long-standing relationship with coach Doc Rivers.
Lee is a 6’5” two guard who is one of the better defenders in the league on the perimeter. He also shot 40.7 percent from three last year. So he can come off the bench in Boston, space the floor and fit right in with their defensive mindset. He also has finals experience from his 2009 run with the Orlando Magic. Think that can work on this roster?
Boston this summer has brought back Kevin Garnett, added Jeff Green and now Lee for depth on the wing, signed Jason Terry, plus added Jared Sullinger and Fab Melo. They got better. Deeper and better. It may not be enough to knock off a healthy Heat team, but they have gotten a little closer to them.
For the Rockets, that’s another quality young player you can throw in a future trade for Dwight Howard, or whatever star you chase after him if he goes Hollywood.
- Report: Chicago Bulls give Jimmy Butler max qualifying offer 5
- Report: Dwyane Wade will not opt-in with Heat, to become free agent (as expected) 25
- Report: Knicks front runner to land Arron Afflalo (and Greg Monroe, too) 21
- Report: Luol Deng surprises Miami, opts in for 2015-16 season 26
- Report: Sense around league is Kevin Love will re-sign with Cavaliers 29
- Report: As deadline nears, signs still point to Dwyane Wade opting out, becoming free agent 39
- Report: Dallas most likely team to lure DeAndre Jordan from Clippers, Chandler Parsons already recruiting 24
- Report: Lakers would still trade D’Angelo Russell for DeMarcus Cousins straight up. Kings wouldn’t. 29