Jul 19, 2012, 5:13 PM EDT
Ray Allen, Celtics fans are going to miss you. But they are really going to like the guy filling your role.
Celtics to acquire G Courtney Lee from Rockets in a sign and trade sending back F JaJuan Johnson, sources tell Y! Details being finalized.
Later reports say the Celtics are sending Johnson, E’Twaun Moore, Sean Williams and a second round pick, which is a steeper price. But is still worth it. Lee is an almost ideal fit for them — and he has said he wants to play in Boston. Lee has a long-standing relationship with coach Doc Rivers.
Lee is a 6’5” two guard who is one of the better defenders in the league on the perimeter. He also shot 40.7 percent from three last year. So he can come off the bench in Boston, space the floor and fit right in with their defensive mindset. He also has finals experience from his 2009 run with the Orlando Magic. Think that can work on this roster?
Boston this summer has brought back Kevin Garnett, added Jeff Green and now Lee for depth on the wing, signed Jason Terry, plus added Jared Sullinger and Fab Melo. They got better. Deeper and better. It may not be enough to knock off a healthy Heat team, but they have gotten a little closer to them.
For the Rockets, that’s another quality young player you can throw in a future trade for Dwight Howard, or whatever star you chase after him if he goes Hollywood.
- Cavaliers coach David Blatt: ‘LeBron James is our MVP’ 16
- No Durant, what does that mean for Thunder in these playoffs? Trouble. 6
- Kevin Durant to have third foot surgery; is done for season, playoffs 32
- Goran Dragic leading feisty Heat’s playoff push 24
- NBA Draft prospect matchups to watch in NCAA Tourament this weekend 2
- Report: LeBron James frustrated with Kevin Love for not fitting in 85
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Wednesday: Kevin Love seems to be fitting in just fine suddenly 4
- It’s official: Dwight Howard will return to Rockets’ lineup Wednesday 2