Jul 19, 2012, 10:56 AM EDT
The Bulls still have to fill out the edges of their roster for next season — do they match the offer sheet for Omer Asik? Who can help back up at the point guard spot? — but once they get past that, they want to get back to focusing on their core.
Gibson, who will be a free agent following next season, is highly coveted around the league, but the Bulls believe he fits into their future plans, so in the fashion of Derrick Rose and Joakim Noah, there is hope that a deal can be reached prior to the beginning of the regular season.
Gibson stepped up his game last year in his third season, although he averaged just 7.7 points and 5.3 rebounds per game he became more efficient doing it. Also, he’s a good defender at multiple positions. He’s entering his fourth year in the league but is older at age 27, he’s going to want to get paid now.
It’s hard to see the Bulls matching the Asik offer sheet then trying to talk long-term deal with Gibson. The Bulls have been shopping Rip Hamilton around this summer and they might amnesty Carlos Boozer next year. As Sam points out, maybe the biggest question will be whether to start talking new deal with Luol Deng next year, and what is the price tag there? Is it too steep for a team that avoids the luxury tax? If Deng leaves will the Bulls have some space to bring in another star player?
Lots of questions. Do any of the answers have you saying, “This team will do what it takes to win an NBA title?”
- LeBron James posts triple-double, Al Horford ejected as Cavaliers take 3-0 series lead with OT Game 3 win over Hawks 22
- Kyrie Irving out for Game 3 for Cavaliers with knee tendonitis 3
- Lil B says James Harden is officially under the Based God’s curse 28
- Warriors don’t live by 3, die by 3. They live by defense, live by defense 9
- Stephen Curry drops 40, Warriors rout Rockets by 35 to take 3-0 series lead 27
- Hawks Kyle Korver out for remainder of playoffs with high ankle sprain 17
- Report: Scott Skiles in lead to become next Orlando coach 17
- Report: Jeff Van Gundy candidate for Pelicans’ coaching job 16