Jul 19, 2012, 6:20 PM EDT
David Stern tried to streamline — or gain more control over, if you prefer — the NBA Rules Committee. Rather than having to wrangle 30 independent-minded general managers, Stern put together a new hand-picked competition committee of coaches, players and GMs. One where he was more likely to get his ideals accomplished.
But the owners still have to vote on any changes.
That is what supposed to happen Thursday at a Las Vegas meeting. Henry Abbott at TrueHoop got ahold of the agenda and what is interesting is that no vote on changes in flopping rules are on there, although the owners will discuss it. While this is a big issue with fans and a black eye for the league during the playoffs, it’s also not an issue with a simple answer. Clearly Stern wanted to get feedback from owners before moving forward. Same with the idea of the international goaltending rule (where once the ball touches the rim it is live and you can grab the ball right off it).
Here are some of the things the owners are expected to vote on:
• Allowing referees to use instant replay on all flagrant fouls. Really, this should have been happening anyway. But under the current rules referees can review only Flagrant 2 fouls, not the lesser Flagrant 1s. This would let the referees review and amend their calls based on the reviews. You have to think this gets approved
• Allowing referees to use instant replay on late game goaltending/restricted area calls. Another expansion of replay and another pretty logical one. When a game is being decided in the final minute I want the referee to see a guy’s foot was inside the restricted area when he took a charge, or to get a goaltending call right.
• Allowing teams to choose baseline or sideline when inbounding the ball after a timeout. Again, I have no problem with that.
- Bruce Bowen says blame for James Harden’s defense falls on McHale, Rockets 6
- NBA to review domestic violence policies in wake of NFL’s ugliness. It shouldn’t have taken that. 11
- Cavaliers lift ban on fan who ran onto court with LeBron James shirt 14
- Blake Griffin said he knew Donald Sterling was racist, wasn’t really surprised by tape 12
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Chicago Bulls 10
- Tony Parker hits a back over-the-head halfcourt shot (VIDEO) 8
- Timberwolves ‘not necessarily in a rush’ to agree to contract extension with Ricky Rubio 17
- Andray Blatche signs deal to play in China next season 11