Jul 19, 2012, 1:56 PM EDT
NBA fans in Mexico City are going to get to see a hot young team in the New Orleans Hornets and… whatever is going to be left on the Magic roster by the time training camp opens.
The league has announced an Oct. 7 preseason game between New Orleans and Orlando in the new Mexico City Arena.
Actually, the Magic are there because Mexico-native Gustavo Ayon is on the roster. Dwight Howard probably is traded by then, but I have a better chance of predicting when the next earthquake hits San Francisco than I do guessing when or where he lands. So we’ll stick with probably.
The Hornets are going to be one of the up and coming darlings of the NBA, the hot young thing to watch. They will be playing on some big stages, with Anthony Davis, Eric Gordon and Austin Rivers. This is just the first one.
The first NBA preseason game in Mexico City was in 1992 and this will be the 18th such game in the city. The NBA did not have preseason games in Mexico City or anywhere else last season due to the lockout.
- Lakers make it official — finally — and hire Byron Scott as head coach 10
- Derrick Rose: “I’ve become a smarter player, but I’m mad it took me seven years to learn it.” 22
- Shelly Sterling beats Donald Sterling in court, clears sale of Clippers to Steve Ballmer 56
- Report: Timberwolves have talked to Sixers about Thaddeus Young as Kevin Love replacement 25
- All eyes on Derrick Rose as USA Basketball mini-camp begins 22
- Klay Thompson doesn’t anticipate being traded, says he expects to play with Warriors next season 10
- PBT Power Rankings: After summer shakeups, Spurs still team to beat 48
- Report: ‘No chance’ Kevin Love stays with Timberwolves 65