Jul 19, 2012, 1:56 PM EST
NBA fans in Mexico City are going to get to see a hot young team in the New Orleans Hornets and… whatever is going to be left on the Magic roster by the time training camp opens.
The league has announced an Oct. 7 preseason game between New Orleans and Orlando in the new Mexico City Arena.
Actually, the Magic are there because Mexico-native Gustavo Ayon is on the roster. Dwight Howard probably is traded by then, but I have a better chance of predicting when the next earthquake hits San Francisco than I do guessing when or where he lands. So we’ll stick with probably.
The Hornets are going to be one of the up and coming darlings of the NBA, the hot young thing to watch. They will be playing on some big stages, with Anthony Davis, Eric Gordon and Austin Rivers. This is just the first one.
The first NBA preseason game in Mexico City was in 1992 and this will be the 18th such game in the city. The NBA did not have preseason games in Mexico City or anywhere else last season due to the lockout.
- He’s on Fire! Kyrie Irving scores 55, knocks down game winning three (VIDEO) 28
- LeBron James out Wednesday vs. Blazers with wrist injury 5
- Home-court advantage means less than ever in NBA. Why? 17
- Nikola Mirotic’s unique style rewarding Bulls for waiting on him 15
- What We Learned in NBA Tuesday Night: Bulls fans should want more of this attacking Derrick Rose 25
- Derrick Rose hits step-back jumper in overtime, lifts Bulls past Warriors (VIDEO) 8
- It’s official: Zach LaVine, Greek Freak Antetokounmpo headline All-Star Dunk Contest 11
- Report: Stephen Curry, Klay Thompson to participate in All-Star weekend’s Three-Point Contest 8