Jul 19, 2012, 1:56 PM EDT
NBA fans in Mexico City are going to get to see a hot young team in the New Orleans Hornets and… whatever is going to be left on the Magic roster by the time training camp opens.
The league has announced an Oct. 7 preseason game between New Orleans and Orlando in the new Mexico City Arena.
Actually, the Magic are there because Mexico-native Gustavo Ayon is on the roster. Dwight Howard probably is traded by then, but I have a better chance of predicting when the next earthquake hits San Francisco than I do guessing when or where he lands. So we’ll stick with probably.
The Hornets are going to be one of the up and coming darlings of the NBA, the hot young thing to watch. They will be playing on some big stages, with Anthony Davis, Eric Gordon and Austin Rivers. This is just the first one.
The first NBA preseason game in Mexico City was in 1992 and this will be the 18th such game in the city. The NBA did not have preseason games in Mexico City or anywhere else last season due to the lockout.
- Breaking down Western Conference playoff chase with two weeks left in season 3
- Breaking down Eastern Conference playoff chase with two weeks left in season 4
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Sunday: Dwyane Wade is going to will Heat into playoffs 10
- Sad news: Craig Sager announces his cancer has returned 15
- NBA players’ union head believes new labor deal can be reached without a work stoppage 9
- Kendrick Perkins says you’re blowing the LeBron James/Kevin Love thing way out of proportion 22
- Mark Cuban rips officials, NBA: ‘It’s criminal’ how Monta Ellis doesn’t get calls 25
- Shaquille O’Neal says he regrets leaving Magic for Lakers 43