Jul 19, 2012, 1:56 PM EST
NBA fans in Mexico City are going to get to see a hot young team in the New Orleans Hornets and… whatever is going to be left on the Magic roster by the time training camp opens.
The league has announced an Oct. 7 preseason game between New Orleans and Orlando in the new Mexico City Arena.
Actually, the Magic are there because Mexico-native Gustavo Ayon is on the roster. Dwight Howard probably is traded by then, but I have a better chance of predicting when the next earthquake hits San Francisco than I do guessing when or where he lands. So we’ll stick with probably.
The Hornets are going to be one of the up and coming darlings of the NBA, the hot young thing to watch. They will be playing on some big stages, with Anthony Davis, Eric Gordon and Austin Rivers. This is just the first one.
The first NBA preseason game in Mexico City was in 1992 and this will be the 18th such game in the city. The NBA did not have preseason games in Mexico City or anywhere else last season due to the lockout.
- George Karl: Knicks could use a strong point guard next to Carmelo Anthony 8
- Ray Allen announces he will not play this season 13
- Pelicans’ Anthony Davis a gametime decision Wednesday vs. Pistons 1
- Derek Fisher questions ‘character and integrity’ of players after Knicks lose to Kings by 38 points 29
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Tuesday: The Hawks clinched playoff spot in front of Josh Smith 6
- Nuggets need to decide direction, then hire coach 18
- Report: Russell Westbrook ‘likely’ to return to Thunder lineup Wednesday, will wear protective mask 13
- Nuggets have fired head coach Brian Shaw 30